Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2019, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Travelling with primes

I am looking for your experiences

I am off to Granada, Spain on Thursday and I am taking my K3 and 3 limiteds, 21mm f3.2, 35mm f2.8 & 70mm f2.4

I have been testing them in my home town and its a close thing but I think the 35mm will be the default. I am really quite excited about limiting myself to a "normal" lens and have no qualms about leaving my big, heavy zooms at home. So, the question is, have you done the same, and how did it turn out?

05-05-2019, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote

I am off to Granada, Spain on Thursday and I am taking my K3 and 3 limiteds, 21mm f3.2, 35mm f2.8 & 70mm f2.4

I have been testing them in my home town and its a close thing but I think the 35mm will be the default. I am really quite excited about limiting myself to a "normal" lens and have no qualms about leaving my big, heavy zooms at home. So, the question is, have you done the same, and how did it turn out?
Done it many times and it works out just fine. In the 1980's I only travelled with a 28mm; 50mm; 135mm. Often do similar now with the K1. When you are travelling you don't want your camera equipment to be a drag. Go light.
05-05-2019, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I am off to Granada, 3 limiteds, 21mm f3.2, 35mm f2.8 & 70mm f2.4
I think the 35mm will be the default. I am really quite excited about limiting myself to a "normal" lens and have no qualms about leaving my big, heavy zooms at home. So, the question is, have you done the same, and how did it turn out?
3 limiteds is my default kit when I'm in a serious mindset about my photography. Now and then I find myself traveling for other reasons (no expectation of shooting), and used to take a 16-85mm zoom instead. Now, however, I use an iPhone for my casual travel posts for social media and only travel with 3 limiteds with my DSLR.

No regrets, but you need to be willing to invest time and effort to 'zoom with your feet', swap lenses, and forget about the ease and convenience of a zoom.
05-05-2019, 11:23 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you travel with primes, you make a commitment to yourself to move your body to get the shot you want, it can force you to try something new, or recompose, because as you move in regards to the subject, you may see a better angle, or framing. The 3 you have chosen all have great IQ, you should not have any regrets.

05-05-2019, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

My default travel kit is some combination of the non-macro da limited primes (15, 21, 40, 70). Depending on how much I want or can bring, I take anything from 1 to 4 of them. When it's just about taking photos with no "artistic" intention that I do not plan to print large, I use my phone, which avoids switching lenses too much. Under that category I put food photos, over-photographed landmarks in bad light, etc.
Last trip I tried replacing the da 21 with the gr iii, and using the k3ii only with specialty lenses (100 macro and fish eye). It worked out well, though four out of seven days I just used the gr, which was my expectation.
I have a da 16-85, but I got it for landscapes and situations where weather resistance is a must. I don't like walking with it, especially for settings where I'd rather use a normal focal length and not 16mm, it just extends too much.
05-05-2019, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cheers guys I have a small bag for the two primes not on camera and the total weight is only 100g more than the 18-135. I do quite a lot of street and urban decay stuff, also, Lancaster is old and I have been getting great results from the 35mm. Hopefully it will be wide enough for the Alhambra because it is slightly quicker than the 21mm. I would love to use the 35mm exclusively, just for the fun of the challenge and also because there is very little distortion with it. I have also just discovered auto iso and its settings (I was looking for a min shutter speed option like Nikon but this will have to do) which simplifies things further. The lovely thing about a K3 and a limited is the fact that it is so small for a serious DSLR and I should be able to get some nice candid stuff along with the curly toed slippers I will be buying from the Moorish market I wonder if I will be able to add an entry to the "are we really that rare" thread
05-05-2019, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I often travel with limited 15,21,40,70 combo (with the 1.7 AF adapter to increase the reach of the 70). For that group I use the DA 21 as the default. Many times in the city, I didn’t need to change lenses. All great but I find the 21 (35 ‘equivalent ‘) most versatile. YMMV.

05-05-2019, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I was looking for a min shutter speed option like Nikon but this will have to do
Try also changing the P line, you get a lot more than just minimum shutter speeds. Between that and setting a minimum ISO, it's more versatile than just a minimum shutter speed imho, I find I miss having these options when I use the GR, it has only two P line modes.

Last edited by aaacb; 05-05-2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typos
05-05-2019, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I pack either a 15/35/70 combo or 21/40/70 depending on travel location. That said the 21 is my most used travel lens.
05-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
I pack either a 15/35/70 combo or 21/40/70 depending on travel location. That said the 21 is my most used travel lens.
I have the 40xs so the 21-40-70 combo would be interesting as the weight would be nothing. Also, the 21 is a good walk around for tight streets. That's why I said it was close deciding what would be the default. Interesting

---------- Post added 05-05-19 at 12:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Try also changing the P line, you get a lot more than just minimum shutter speeds. Between that and setting a minimum ISO, it's more versatile than just a minimum shutter speed imho, I find I miss having these option when I use the GR, it has only two P line modes.
I have never tried using p line, in fact I have never even looked into it. Do you fancy giving me a quick overview?
05-05-2019, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I have never tried using p line, in fact I have never even looked into it. Do you fancy giving me a quick overview?
I haven't done extensive testing, but here's my understanding. The P line is the (linear) relationship between shutter speed and aperture value, for a given exposure and ISO. So if "normal" auto exposure would say for example 1/125s shutter and f5.6, "sports" would favor a higher shutter speed by opening the aperture, large depth of field would favor a small aperture by extending the shutter speed, etc.But then you also have under auto iso how fast the camera raises iso (normal, high, low), and auto iso probably complicates things a bit further.

Over time I've gotten used to certain p line settings and I just trust the meter (and its limitations).
05-05-2019, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those primes are a good choice and I think you will enjoy it.

When I'm travelling light, I take a K-01, DA15, DA40 and DA70. I don't have a 21 but if I did I would probably take it (although I like the 15 in cities).

Personally I don't find using primes particularly limiting. I do sometimes (when taking the K-1) take my DFA 28-105 but mainly for its weather resistance (and at least that 28-105 is not very big).
05-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I have travelled in Japan with mostly primes and the K3. The only issue was that it rained a lot, making lens changing more difficult. Otherwise, small primes are a lot of fun.
05-05-2019, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cerebum,

I had the pleasure of spending a few hours at the Alhambra in February 2018, when we stopped in Malaga on a Canary Islands cruise.

I took along my K3, DA15mm, DA40mm, DA70mm and a Sigma 24mm and found that worked out just fine. I also took along my IR converted istDL2 for a different look. The Alhambra is a special place and one could spend a lot of time there.

I posted a thread last year with some of my images if you'd like to see them. Lots more images from the cruise over on Flickr.

Have a great trip.

Fred.
05-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote

When I'm travelling light, I take a K-01, DA15, DA40 and DA70. I don't have a 21 but if I did I would probably take it (although I like the 15 in cities).
I am warming to the idea of the 21 being the default. The nice thing about having the 21 and the 35 is that either will work well as a walk around

---------- Post added 05-05-19 at 03:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
Cerebum,

I had the pleasure of spending a few hours at the Alhambra in February 2018, when we stopped in Malaga on a Canary Islands cruise.

I took along my K3, DA15mm, DA40mm, DA70mm and a Sigma 24mm and found that worked out just fine. I also took along my IR converted istDL2 for a different look. The Alhambra is a special place and one could spend a lot of time there.

I posted a thread last year with some of my images if you'd like to see them. Lots more images from the cruise over on Flickr.

Have a great trip.

Fred.
Stunning pictures. I am going to look at them on flicker to see what lenses you used in each situation. I hope you don't mind but I would like to share your ir pics from here with a friend of mine from Spain who has never done ir