Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2019, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am looking for your experiences

I am off to Granada, Spain on Thursday and I am taking my K3 and 3 limiteds, 21mm f3.2, 35mm f2.8 & 70mm f2.4

I have been testing them in my home town and its a close thing but I think the 35mm will be the default. I am really quite excited about limiting myself to a "normal" lens and have no qualms about leaving my big, heavy zooms at home. So, the question is, have you done the same, and how did it turn out?
Just go light as others say. I tend only to take my LX with the 43mm limited and Fuji X100 pair anywhere I go as tourist. Sinle lens setup forces you to think and very rarely miss shorter or longer focal lenghts to be honest. And the kit is very light.

05-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I haven't done extensive testing, but here's my understanding. The P line is the (linear) relationship between shutter speed and aperture value, for a given exposure and ISO. So if "normal" auto exposure would say for example 1/125s shutter and f5.6, "sports" would favor a higher shutter speed by opening the aperture, large depth of field would favor a small aperture by extending the shutter speed, etc.But then you also have under auto iso how fast the camera raises iso (normal, high, low), and auto iso probably complicates things a bit further.

Over time I've gotten used to certain p line settings and I just trust the meter (and its limitations).
I had a good look at settings and the Pentax forums video on the subject. I won't use it in Granada because I don't understand it yet but when I get back..... Thanks for the info very very interesting
05-05-2019, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Stunning pictures. I am going to look at them on flicker to see what lenses you used in each situation. I hope you don't mind but I would like to share your ir pics from here with a friend of mine from Spain who has never done ir

Please do. Didn't get to see anything of Granada unfortunately, just stopped in the main square for some liquid refreshment before heading back to Malaga on the tour bus. I look forward to seeing your images.

Fred.
05-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
Please do. Didn't get to see anything of Granada unfortunately, just stopped in the main square for some liquid refreshment before heading back to Malaga on the tour bus. I look forward to seeing your images.

Fred.
There won't be any IR (yours were stunning) because I am leaving my converted camera behind but there will be several million ordinary ones on my flickr acct, after all, I am there for three days I will post some on here so you can see how I got on

05-05-2019, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #20

Hi,

I fly frequently around Europe mostly and carry my travel camera, a K5IIs and the 21/40/70 trio.

Although I also own the 15/31/43/77 ltds over the years I realised that I really use the 15 when traveling so stopped taking it, and I avoid the 3 amigos because I don't feel very comfortable risk having them nicked, or get caught out in the rain with them.

The 21 is the most used and then the 70 and I could just use only those. The 40 is practically an unobtrusive pancake backup of the 21, just in case anything goes wrong.

It's getting hot this time of year in South Spain and might not be practical to slide them in your gilet/top pocket but not an issue if you are carrying a bag of some sort.

Unless you really need the macro I would skip the 35 if you are not visiting anything else.

Have fun.
05-05-2019, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I nearly always travel with a KP and 3-Limited kit, consisting of 15, 21 and 70mm primes. As I'm a newspaper editor and writer, I usually take the same kit to work and sometimes use it on the job, but more often for fun. The DA* zooms are reserved for rainy day hikes, for the most part.
05-05-2019, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

used to travel with prime but I like to have at least one of them with WR.

05-05-2019, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I have done it with the K30 and the Da15ltd, FA*24, FA50/2.4, FA*85/1.4 and various other combinations like 35mm, 77ltd in the place of the former lenses.
The problem might be the wide end if you are doing cityscapes and DA15ltd may not be wide enough and preferably you can add a pano head (or at least a simple fixture to give optical center for your widest lens)
Other, just be prepared to pano and hope that you don't have foreground or lines that will cause you issues with aligning the frames.

If you are mostly doing natural landscapes, then no pano is usually fine.
05-05-2019, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #24
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I am off to Granada, Spain on Thursday and I am taking my K3 and 3 limiteds, 21mm f3.2, 35mm f2.8 & 70mm f2.4

I have been testing them in my home town and its a close thing but I think the 35mm will be the default. I am really quite excited about limiting myself to a "normal" lens and have no qualms about leaving my big, heavy zooms at home. So, the question is, have you done the same, and how did it turn out?
I guess you already know my answer

It's a blast and I have nothing to complain about traveling with just primes. I have gone extra light with just one lens. 50 is a bit of challenge with APSC, but 35 and 40 work fine. Stitch if wider is needed. 3 lenses is my typical light set up, but 5 lenses and camera are still easy to carry all day when you have small lenses like M series and leave 200+mm lenses at home.
05-05-2019, 11:17 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

I took most of my DA limiteds (15mm, 21mm, 35mm, 70mm) to Japan in 2017 because I wanted to maximise both image quality and my enjoyment of shooting there, and I have no regrets about it. I did have the 18-55mm WR kit zoom with me but only used it in wet weather. Of those lenses, the 35mm got by far the most use, followed by the 21mm, 15mm and 70mm, in that order. I also had some lenses to use on film (28mm, 50mm, 120mm) but rarely used them on digital. If I were to travel and shoot only digital then I'd take those four limiteds and something WR (these days I have the 16-85mm so would skip the 18-55mm) and if I had to remove one it'd be the 15mm, leaving me with 21mm, 35mm & 70mm, which will cover 95% of travel shots.

Those three are a small and light combo with superb image quality and you can't really go wrong.
05-06-2019, 02:18 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Getting closer I have always concentrated on lenses and exposure but in the last three days I have learned about auto iso, p line, dof preview and several other things in the k3 body, so I now have the knowledge to really cock things up I think, whatever lens goes on camera on day one will probably be the default although, the 35mm limited is my absolute favourite. The 21 has had lots of votes and I suspect it has become the front runner, Granada streets are quite tight and I can always crop. I was just a little concerned about the max aperture but to be honest it is still faster than my zooms I just had this romantic notion of doing Granada with the apsc equivalent of an old school set up

Three days isn't going to be enough

Nor are 96gb of card storage and a 500gb hd

Now I am starting to panic lololol
05-07-2019, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I took most of my DA limiteds (15mm, 21mm, 35mm, 70mm) to Japan in 2017 because I wanted to maximise both image quality and my enjoyment of shooting there, and I have no regrets about it. I did have the 18-55mm WR kit zoom with me but only used it in wet weather.
I'm going to Germany and Austria this summer and the plan is to take the 15mm, 21mm, 40mm and the 18-55mm* for wet weather. And I can't not have the 55-300PLM, it's light, relatively small, and has reach. My guess is that 90% of my photos will be the three limited primes.

* the draw is strong to replace the 18-55mm with a rented or new 20-40. Or maybe 16-85...
05-07-2019, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
* the draw is strong to replace the 18-55mm with a rented or new 20-40. Or maybe 16-85...
Do it!
05-08-2019, 04:46 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I'm going to Germany and Austria this summer and the plan is to take the 15mm, 21mm, 40mm and the 18-55mm* for wet weather. And I can't not have the 55-300PLM, it's light, relatively small, and has reach. My guess is that 90% of my photos will be the three limited primes.

A kit of two zooms and three primes all with modern coatings and clever designs, Thor. I like the idea of a 16-85mm if you can manage the weight and the lens length when fully extended. Both the 16-85mm and the 55-300mm are really long at full extension.

I am possibly going on a once-in-a-lifetime trip next year, so I am trying out a kit next month of four-five primes and two zooms - definitely the 55-300PLM and one of the 16-85mm or the 18-135mm. Primes will be definitely the 21mm, 40mm and 70mm. Possible additional primes chosen from 15mm Limited, DA35mm/f2.4, Tamron Adaptall SP 90mm for a tele and half-scale macro, M50mm/f1.4 (or FA50mm/f1.4) for a fast 50, Sigma EX 50mm macro so I have a full-scale macro, one of my M-series teles (135mm or 200mm).

Of course I could carry the 15, 21, 35, 40, FA50, 70, Tamron 90 and M135, then i have eight lenses sharing one screw-on hood and one CPL filter, and six are AF.
05-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
A kit of two zooms and three primes all with modern coatings and clever designs, Thor. I like the idea of a 16-85mm if you can manage the weight and the lens length when fully extended. Both the 16-85mm and the 55-300mm are really long at full extension.

I am possibly going on a once-in-a-lifetime trip next year, so I am trying out a kit next month of four-five primes and two zooms - definitely the 55-300PLM and one of the 16-85mm or the 18-135mm. Primes will be definitely the 21mm, 40mm and 70mm. Possible additional primes chosen from 15mm Limited, DA35mm/f2.4, Tamron Adaptall SP 90mm for a tele and half-scale macro, M50mm/f1.4 (or FA50mm/f1.4) for a fast 50, Sigma EX 50mm macro so I have a full-scale macro, one of my M-series teles (135mm or 200mm).

Of course I could carry the 15, 21, 35, 40, FA50, 70, Tamron 90 and M135, then i have eight lenses sharing one screw-on hood and one CPL filter, and six are AF.
I've rented the 16-85 twice and really liked it, but it's not small. That's one reason the 20-40 intrigues me. But I'm hoping central Europe won't be quite as wet as Iceland was last year and I can mostly use the limited primes.