Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
"Under expose over develop" that sounds simple ha !

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Lotech, the easiest thing is to underexpose to the point that even in the playback image in the LCD viewer you can still see detail in the yellows and reds.

In post processing the RAW you then lift the exposure in all the other areas, and then adjust all areas to balance nicely for the final image.

05-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
"Under expose over develop" that sounds simple ha !
Sounds so much more pro though if you say you're 'protecting the highlights'.

05-07-2019, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nope, I'm "Preserve the nature protect the planet" Xp

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sounds so much more pro though if you say you're 'protecting the highlights'.
05-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nope, I'm "Preserve the nature protect the planet" Xp
I'm sure you can manage both, LT!

05-07-2019, 11:53 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How to adjust color on the K3 I rarely touch that part ? and I just started to learn RawTheapee, thanks
You dont adjust the reds in the camera. You use the RGB histogram when reviewing the shot to ensure you are not clipping (overexposing) the reds. Then adjust the exposure so the reds are not clipped. Then you can adjust overall exposure or individual colour exposure when processing the raw file.

But the important thing is that once you have clipped a colour, you have lost detail. No amount of post-processing can bring that back completely.
05-08-2019, 12:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I took some shots of flowers with the Jupiter 37A, they are not very sharp due to the wind and low light, but I always find that the red is over saturated on my K3 where other colors are quite natural, is this normal ? I got more natural red with cell phone.
I too find Pentax reds too red - it very often leads to clipping the red channel (even in RAWs) - quite annoying behavior
Other cameras I use usually dont have issues with reds.
Seems Pentax engineers overdid it with with red tone response :/

Last edited by Trickortreat; 05-08-2019 at 12:58 AM.
05-08-2019, 02:32 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
I too find Pentax reds too red - it very often leads to clipping the red channel (even in RAWs) - quite annoying behavior
Other cameras I use usually dont have issues with reds.
Seems Pentax engineers overdid it with with red tone response :/
If you are clipping the reds in raw capture I would suggest it is your exposure technique that needs attention.

05-08-2019, 02:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If you are clipping the reds in raw capture I would suggest it is your exposure technique that needs attention.
Yeh, I know I could exposure to the left. But my Oly and Fuji didnt need to expose to the left in equal situations. Pentax reds are just more saturated by default than other cameras and that leads to unwanted clipping.
05-08-2019, 02:57 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think pixel shift helps and a little underexposure...

05-08-2019, 03:43 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Yeh, I know I could exposure to the left. But my Oly and Fuji didnt need to expose to the left in equal situations. Pentax reds are just more saturated by default than other cameras and that leads to unwanted clipping.
Maybe I am wrong, but if the raw file is clipping, is that not a feature of the sensor and would affect any manufacturer using the same design ?
05-08-2019, 06:15 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe I am wrong, but if the raw file is clipping, is that not a feature of the sensor and would affect any manufacturer using the same design ?
That is a good question and a reasonable conclusion. Based on some of my friend's photos taken while they were learning their craft, problems with blown reds and yellows happen across brands, even on Canon (they make their own sensors), but that may have more to do with default JPEG settings than with sensor response. To be honest, I am not sure why red channel is so problematic. Perhaps it is our choice of subjects?

Steve
05-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't the Bayer filter pattern big part of the problem of blown reds/blues? Every second pixel sees green, every fourth red / blue. For pure red/blue parts of a picture, 75% of the pixels have to be interpolated (loss of sharpness) and stay dark, so the overall exposure will be higher than neccessary to expose the reds/blues correctly?
05-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #28
Pentaxian

By default my experience is that is is nearly impossible to have clipping resd in raw with Pentax. It happens much earlier with greens.

Much more of an issue here are poor raw profiles, for example the ones Adobe provides for their product line. In Lightroom I often had the Adobe processing create blown reds while the red in raw is 1 full stop under clipping level. Sadly Adobe software is unable to show raw histograms so most entry level users have no chance to even check what is going on.

Most issues I ever encountered as result of the poor Adobe profiles are resolved by pulling the red slider in the camera profile menu to better levels.
05-08-2019, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Are you shooting raw or JPEG?
If the former then you should/may be able to correct in your raw editor, which do you use?
If the latter then check which camera preset in use and consider choosing a more neutral/natural one if available
Should this be really troublesome and you are shooting raw then a custom camera profile may help tame the reds for you

A cursory glance at the JPEG histogram does not appear to show any clipping of the red channel but the poor focus has had an effect of flattening the flower so there is little variation of luminosity leading to just blank patches of colour
05-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Seems that manufacturers have some hard coded software in their pipeline different manufacturers will have different t RAWs even if they are using the same sensor.

---------- Post added 05-08-19 at 10:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
By default my experience is that is is nearly impossible to have clipping resd in raw with Pentax. It happens much earlier with greens.Much more of an issue here are poor raw profiles, for example the ones Adobe provides for their product line. In Lightroom I often had the Adobe processing create blown reds while the red in raw is 1 full stop under clipping level. Sadly Adobe software is unable to show raw histograms so most entry level users have no chance to even check what is going on.Most issues I ever encountered as result of the poor Adobe profiles are resolved by pulling the red slider in the camera profile menu to better levels.
Im using RawTherapee and the reds are the ones that mostly clip. Even when using neutral profile (no tone curve or anything applied) will show that the reds are the most problematic ones.

Last edited by Trickortreat; 05-08-2019 at 01:41 PM.