Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone use clarity or skin tone correction in KP or K-1?

Are they useful? I have to admit I only just discovered those features on my KP. Having realized the JPGs it produces are really good, I'd like to fully explore the more-arcane controls built into the camera.

Would love to hear how anyone else is using them. Also, what little documentation I've been able to find from Ricoh is a little impenetrable. I think they apply to in-camera JPGs only, right? And what is the face detection that the skin tone correction uses?

Just sign me,

Confused in Oregon

05-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #2

See Give further expression with PENTAX "Custom Image" | RICOH IMAGING for detailed explanations of the built-in post processing features.
05-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use skin tone 2 on the k-1 with some regularity for people shots which I won't have the time to PP. It works pretty well I except that it's very very slow to write. So it's a no go (mostly)for events, or group shots which is frustrating. I wish it would let you burst a few and then process them.
05-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K1N8 Quote
See Give further expression with PENTAX "Custom Image" | RICOH IMAGING for detailed explanations of the built-in post processing features.
Thanks, K1N8. This page, though, discusses custom image settings, which you can access on page 1 of the camera menu. Unless I'm missing something it doesn't explain the clarity or skin-tone feature, which appear on page 3 of the camera menu. The skin-tone correction seems to apply changes only to the face area of a photo.

05-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Thanks, K1N8. This page, though, discusses custom image settings, which you can access on page 1 of the camera menu. Unless I'm missing something it doesn't explain the clarity or skin-tone feature, which appear on page 3 of the camera menu. The skin-tone correction seems to apply changes only to the face area of a photo.
Here's our review of the skin tone feature:

Pentax K-1 Review - General Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

And clarity enhancement:

Pentax K-S2 Review - General Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Overall these are good in-camera processing options if you don't want to spend time doing them in post. The results will be a little less optimal, and the camera locks up while processing (which prevents the use of burst mode), but otherwise it's quite convenient to have.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam.