Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Upgrade?

Ok so I have been shooting with my k100d for almost 2 years now.

I have an opportunity to get a k10d with ~10,000 activations, as well as 2 batteries and an extra 2GB card for a decent price, my question is, is it worth the upgrade or should i continue saving the extra ~$600 and shoot for the k20d?

I mostly shoot outdoor but have been getting more and more into flash work

10-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

What do you wish your camera did that it doesn't? This should help you find an answer.

It depends on the deal itself, of course. But I'm under the impression that money in general is better spent on lenses than bodies.
10-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
What do you wish your camera did that it doesn't? This should help you find an answer.

It depends on the deal itself, of course. But I'm under the impression that money in general is better spent on lenses than bodies.
Well I'd love a bigger sensor, and the ability to switch from single to continuous would be great for what I do. and the added fps would be great for motorsports (which i do a lot of)

I've got more lenses than I can use at this point. I need something with more options to stick behind it. I'm set on an upgrade, as im at ~18,000 activations, it and I like the at touch of the k10

My question is really...is the k20 worth the wait?
10-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi,
There is a good chance that you could use the K10D for a few months and sell it later for close to what you paid for it. By that time you will have saved some and the K20D will have gone down as well. Just a thought.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

10-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well my k100d is fine, so im trying to think if the k20d is worth the extra money...Not really wanting to get used to one then upgrading again in a few months
10-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you can wait long enough to save the cash up for a K20, then I say go that route. The price on a new K20 is really beginning to drop, so you may be able to get that K20 sooner than you think.

Heather
10-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #7

I'm in the same boat. If you're doing motorsports (track events or competitive racing?) then you might consider holding out for the next upgrade from the K20 which might be a year away, I guess.

5 fps would be really nice as would very fast AF-C mode.
10-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did the comparison

QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
well my k100d is fine, so im trying to think if the k20d is worth the extra money...Not really wanting to get used to one then upgrading again in a few months
I'm in the same boat and posted that query on dpreview and got a good answer as follows: How to compare images by sensor size.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review. I did the visual comparison and came to the conclusion the upgrade was justified: slightly better "sharpness" to me (but I'm sure to get disagreement on that) and the signfiicant increase in cropping space.
Brian (FHPhotographer)

10-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well im not sure i can hold out that long for a new body...I''ve outgrown the k100d....i think ill go with the k10 and save for a year or so and see what comes out.

thanks brian, ill have a read
10-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
Forum Member

K10 or K20

I used my K10 for almost a year then only because I wanted one I picked up a K20. The camera functions are so similar it was easy for me to get to know the K20. I always look at these types of questions one poses to him/herself, should I buy one as opposed to the other? And my answer is this, if you can afford it then buy the one you truly want. You would not be disappointed in either choice. I do think the K20 is a very nice camera and I have not been sorry I picked one up. Jeff