Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2019, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K3 II vs KP

Not sure, but is the KP supposed to replace the K3 II?

If not, have Pentax announced anything that a K3/K3 II user could move smoothly to, and get some real advances all without learning a whole new UI?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm uninformed, it's just that that is exactly the case.

05-08-2019, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You're not the first to ask this afaik no, the kp is not supposed to replace the k3ii, but it's a very nice camera in its own right from what I can tell (I have the k3ii)

KP an upgrade to K3 or K3II? - PentaxForums.com
KP or K3ii? - PentaxForums.com
Kp or K3II - PentaxForums.com
Upgrading: K3 or? - PentaxForums.com
05-08-2019, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, the KP is not a direct replacement. Yes, it delivers better image quality (it has a new sensor and image processor) and improves on the interface. However, if you're currently shooting with a K-3, there really isn't anything new to learn beyond a few buttons being positioned differently on the KP.

Take a look through the KP review for the full details:
Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

We still don't know much about what the K-3 replacement will look like, but it's bound to make an appearance sooner rather than later.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-08-2019, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Honestly, if I had to guess, I think Pentax meant for the K-1 to replace the K-3II as the flagship K-mount camera.

The KP was intended as a very powerful but also a very compact camera for those looking for something smaller than the K-1 and maybe to attract people thinking DSLRs are too big. It's clearly the best Pentax APS-C model in production but it's not a replacement for the K-3II.

05-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, what everyone else said. I switched over from a K-5IIs (tried the K-3II and was unconvinced) after renting the KP not once but twice and having it gradually grow on me.

It's a fun, small, tough and quick (at least by Pentax standards) camera that is at its very best with the Limited lenses. It works better for fine art/street photography than sports and speedy birds in flight.

Rumor has it a new flagship crop Pentax body is on the drawing board....
05-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BillO Quote
Not sure, but is the KP supposed to replace the K3 II?

If not, have Pentax announced anything that a K3/K3 II user could move smoothly to, and get some real advances all without learning a whole new UI?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm uninformed, it's just that that is exactly the case.
There's an upcoming K-3II replacement that might be coming out sometime next year. If your current K-3II works well, keep shooting it until the replacement comes along. If you decide that the replacement is too much, there will be a pretty big chance that the KP will be priced lower than what it currently is by then.
05-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
What "real advances"? What can't you accomplish with the K3II?
Yes, unless there is a "hole" in the feature set that fails to address a common use case for the target market, there is no path for advancement. I can think of at least one feature that would be valued and it is not best in class AF tracking and speed. Who might guess what that might be?

Steve

05-09-2019, 04:37 AM   #8

I don't have a KP, but am well provided for with a K-1, k3ii, and K-70.

The features that I would value in the KP which are absent from the K-3ii are; the tilting screen, the improved sensor (less noise), the compact form, and the third control dial.
Well, the K-70 has 3 out of 4 of these attributes and is far less expensive so I am a happy bunny.
The K-3ii does have other features which I value that are not present on the KP; a longer lasting battery, ergonomically superior, top lcd screen, which is why I will not part with it - until it's replacement is released.

All this means I can't justify buying a KP which is a pity because it is a nice little camera.
05-09-2019, 04:40 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, unless there is a "hole" in the feature set that fails to address a common use case for the target market, there is no path for advancement. I can think of at least one feature that would be valued and it is not best in class AF tracking and speed. Who might guess what that might be?

Steve
Official split focusing screen and accurate metering (in all modes)?

Or...

Automatic AF fine adjustment?
05-09-2019, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Official split focusing screen and accurate metering (in all modes)?

Or...

Automatic AF fine adjustment?
Wow! Great minds travel the same roads!

I was thinking specifically about auto AF fine adjustment, but the other would be wonderful too.

Steve
05-09-2019, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Changing from a K-3ii to a KP is a partial upgrade. The KP sensor will give better image quality in low light. For action photography, though, the KP has a slower burst speed and a smaller buffer.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We still don't know much about what the K-3 replacement will look like, but it's bound to make an appearance sooner rather than later.
It's already "later". The K-3ii was discontinued 16 months ago.
05-10-2019, 02:59 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

I overthought the KP as un upgrade for the past 2 years for my K-5II. When I finally pulled the trigger the improvement in IQ and AF was substantial. My concerns over buffer size and burst speed for shooting sports were unwarranted. Then I only shoot bursts of 3-5 frames at a time. The KP is an outstanding piece of kit.
05-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
There's an upcoming K-3II replacement that might be coming out sometime next year. If your current K-3II works well, keep shooting it until the replacement comes along. If you decide that the replacement is too much, there will be a pretty big chance that the KP will be priced lower than what it currently is by then.
+1 for this^. Then you would be in a position to evaluate, and make a decision based on more options.
05-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
I don't have a KP, but am well provided for with a K-1, k3ii, and K-70.

The features that I would value in the KP which are absent from the K-3ii are; the tilting screen, the improved sensor (less noise), the compact form, and the third control dial.
Well, the K-70 has 3 out of 4 of these attributes and is far less expensive so I am a happy bunny.
The K-3ii does have other features which I value that are not present on the KP; a longer lasting battery, ergonomically superior, top lcd screen, which is why I will not part with it - until it's replacement is released.

All this means I can't justify buying a KP which is a pity because it is a nice little camera.
They'll have to make a hell of a lot better camera than the KP before I trade in my K-70....Three out of four ain't bad.
05-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joelbolden Quote
They'll have to make a hell of a lot better camera than the KP before I trade in my K-70....Three out of four ain't bad.
Well, the K-70 is a marvelous camera, especially at the price point. You just cannot find one that advanced anywhere else for the cost. And it has its own special attributes, like the selfie screen that can also view from other odd angles. But the difference in favor of the KP is more than a bit over that three out of four. Another recent thread examines this issue. See a thread from 4-16-19 by Gold Coast- "Pentax K-70 or KP with the 18/135 Pros and Cons". Especially post #5 in the thread by caliscouser.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-11-2019 at 12:46 PM.