Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

for pay photography

Thinking of trying to get some " for pay photography" situations. Obviously need a back up. At this point have a k10d and a pz-1. Do you think the pz-1 is adequate for the back up or should I get an inexpensive dsrlr ie. the *1stD or k100 for that purpose.

Oh it took me 2 weeks to get power back from Ike

Thanks,

Michael

10-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it really depends on the type of jobs you have in mind, the stress you will be under, the type of lenses you have, etc.

For instance, DA lenses will not work well with a film body. Or you might want weather seals on both your cameras. Or not.

I think if it were me, I would consider the new Km (or K1000) if its only purpose is to serve as a backup. It's a great sensor, a very very small body, no fuss but probably reliable. If, for instance, your plan is to use a big lens on one camera and a small lens on another, then I think the KM+small lens (a prime?) would do a killer package.

For the record, regarding Pentax bodies I don't think any was "bad". The older ones are probably slower, pack less power with one charge, and offer a lower resolution. But that might or might not be an issue for you.

Just my two cents.
10-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Big part of the decission is $$$$. I do have lenses to go onto the pz1
10-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in the same situation. Starting to do a few weddings and no backup camera. Gave me an excuse to go ahead and get the K20D I had been wanting to go along with my K10D. I have another wedding November 1st. Feel a lot better about it now!

10-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

IF your main camera breaks down, will your backup be guaranteed to still get the type of shots you promised your client? You need to assess your own skills and determine if you'd be able to deliver with a film camera and whatever lenses you have for film. And then you'd have to develop/scan/etc... the negatives in.

Seriously, no one can answer this question better than you can. You know how good you are. We don't.

I chimp too much so I'd never be able to rely on a film camera for backup
10-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Some people, myself included, don't consider it a back-up but rather a second camera. It isn't sitting on the side if something breaks down, it over my shoulder with the other lens I may need at a moments notice.

Depending on what you intend to shoot, if it's fast paced enough, you may not have time to change lenses so a second camera is a huge advantage (for some people). If I were you (and I have no idea what kind of shooting you intend to do) I would get a second K10D (used can be had for fairly cheap) or spring for a K20D. Since they have the same form factor it's very easy to shoot dual cameras.
10-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by houstonmacgregor Quote
Thinking of trying to get some " for pay photography" situations. Obviously need a back up.
Why do you say "obvious"? I guess I would not want to take any kind of assignment without having backups for everything. But the backup is more important for some things than others. For example, if you're going to do informal portraits, and you have the ability to reschedule the appointment if a technical problem occurs, then the backup is perhaps not critical. On the other hand, if you're shooting a wedding, you absolutely must have a backup camera.

So whether you need a backup and what kind of backup you need depends to some extent on what kind of photography you're doing.

When shooting weddings and graduations, I take FOUR cameras. The first two (K10D/K20D) are my actual working cameras. I carry both of them with me throughout the event - well, at least during the ceremony. I may use just one for the reception. I have in fact had technical problems occasionally, and I know that they don't occur, um, in the middle of the night when you're not using the camera. They tend to occur right before the kiss. If my K20D were to freeze up on me at that moment, it wouldn't do any good to have the K10D in a bag in my truck, or even in a bag in a nearby pew. I need to have it around my neck and ready to go.

The other two cameras are an *ist DS and my old Nikon 35mm film camera (an N65 - not fancy but takes decent photos). These stay in my (locked) truck.

In theory, I'm taking a roll of film every month to stay in the film game, sort of. But the truth is, I now go for months without shooting film, then I go out and shoot half a dozen rolls in a week. If I had to shoot a wedding entirely with the Nikon, I could do it, but gosh, I hope it never happens.

My personal recommendation - worth what you're paying for it - is that you need a second digital camera, and it needs to be good enough to do the job all by itself in a pinch. This doesn't mean that you need to shell out for a K20D, if that's simply not in your budget.

QuoteQuote:
At this point have a k10d and a pz-1. Do you think the pz-1 is adequate for the back up or should I get an inexpensive dsrlr ie. the *1stD or k100 for that purpose.
The K100D or K200D would be better than the *ist DS, in my opinion, because shake reduction is worth a lot.

QuoteQuote:
Oh it took me 2 weeks to get power back from Ike
Glad you're coming back, although I know it's slow. I'm up in Dallas now but spent 20 years down in Houston and have lots of family and friends down there still. MOST have returned home and are doing well, but one nephew who was going to Texas A&M at Galveston now lives in College Station: Apparently they moved the entire school off the island.

Will

10-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

[QUOTE=houstonmacgregor;360943]Thinking of trying to get some " for pay photography" situations. Obviously need a back up. At this point have a k10d and a pz-1. Do you think the pz-1 is adequate for the back up or should I get an inexpensive dsrlr ie. the *1stD or k100 for that purpose.

Try to get another K10.......
Seriously.
failing that, use the film camera as a back up (odd are, you won't have to use it anyway) until you've earned enough keep to drop the k10 down to back-up and have bought a K20 (or future SLR, depending on the future).
10-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #9

"Need"? No way. Especially if you're lacking equipment that would enhance your work with the camera you've already got. The chances of one camera breaking/getting stolen are outweighed by the chances of missing a great shot for the lack of good lenses/filters/tripods/flashes/etc.

A second camera is an ideal situation, but not a necessity. And then it's a case of horses for courses in regards to what you get. My second body would be the same model as my primary camera, simply because I'd have the same sensor and the same functions that I employ from my main body. Otherwise it would be a case of rethinking shooting strategies as I swap between cameras (with a different lens on each), which would be no good when things are fast a furious.