Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2019, 04:40 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It looks like the seats face northeast so the sun will be behind you.
according to this site, I think you are correct

Ballpark Orientations in the National League by Baseball Almanac

thank you all for all of the help

it was what I expected from members of the forums but to be honest, much faster than I expected.

__________________________-

it looks like I need to practice some more with the PLM and the 1.4 converter and the primes

SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited 49 F

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro 49 F

SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 52 F

to determine how they might be useful.

Coors Field does have a check system for items not allowed in but it is at " your risk " and I don't think I want to risk leaving a lens there

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-14-2019 at 07:21 AM.
05-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Night baseball

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I am going to Coors Field in early June and will be attempting to take photos at the two night games I will be attending [ Go Cubs ]

any thoughts or comments ?
Attached photos from a night game at Citizens Bank Park in late May of 2009. I was shooting with a K10D at the time and the lens was the FA70-200 f4-5.6 (Power Zoom model). Pictures provided just to give you an idea of exposures. The K10D was not known to be good at higher ISOs and the 70-200 was not the sharpest of lenses. We were sitting in the 4th or 5th row beyond third base.

I think the 55-300 PLM would serve you well.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
Attached photos from a night game at Citizens Bank Park in late May of 2009. I was shooting with a K10D at the time and the lens was the FA70-200 f4-5.6 (Power Zoom model). Pictures provided just to give you an idea of exposures. The K10D was not known to be good at higher ISOs and the 70-200 was not the sharpest of lenses. We were sitting in the 4th or 5th row beyond third base.

I think the 55-300 PLM would serve you well.
Thank you

On May 10, I used my K 3 II + the D FA * 70-200 F2.8 for a game at Kauffman Stadium

No problem at all

But that is 8 ", 2" over their limit

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-14-2019 at 09:28 AM.
06-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
" Coming in, Going out "

[ bat flexes with impact with the ball ]

https://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/bats.html

a couple from the June 10 game

seated in the Club House area, couldn't avoid the netting

K 3 + HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

using shutter burst

SOOC

then crop and pp

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-13-2019 at 07:25 PM.
06-14-2019, 05:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a couple from the June 10 game

seated in the Club House area, couldn't avoid the netting

K 3 + HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

using shutter burst

SOOC

then crop and pp
Did you have problems with the netting? Every time I've sat in box seats behind the netting the camera kept trying to focus on the net, not the players. I've usually ended up switching to manual focus.
06-14-2019, 05:17 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Did you have problems with the netting? Every time I've sat in box seats behind the netting the camera kept trying to focus on the net, not the players. I've usually ended up switching to manual focus.
yes.

and depending on my distance from the netting I have had the same problem but I have never been as close as you. I usually like to sit down towards first or third or even a little bit beyond. close to the field if I can afford it. row 15 or so

I wasn't able to choose my own seats this time so the first day I was much higher than I like and on the second day, I was lower but still 35 rows away from the field.

Section 241, Club Level Infield row 5 and Tuesday’s game tickets are located in Section 143, Midfield Box Row 35

the photos posted are from day 1

I was far enough from the netting this time so that wasn't a problem but not far enough that the netting isn't visible in the photos as you can tell.

I also use " single point " focusing so that helps

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-14-2019 at 05:27 AM.
06-14-2019, 05:47 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes.

and depending on my distance from the netting I have had the same problem but I have never been as close as you. I usually like to sit down towards first or third or even a little bit beyond. close to the field if I can afford it. row 15 or so

I wasn't able to choose my own seats this time so the first day I was much higher than I like and on the second day, I was lower but still 35 rows away from the field.

Section 241, Club Level Infield row 5 and Tuesday’s game tickets are located in Section 143, Midfield Box Row 35

the photos posted are from day 1

I was far enough from the netting this time so that wasn't a problem but not far enough that the netting isn't visible in the photos as you can tell.

I also use " single point " focusing so that helps
I think you're right, that distance from the net is a factor. I've been lucky the last while, my sister-in-law's accounting firm has excellent seats at Oriole Park which means I've been 15 or 20 rows behind the netting. But the golden era is ending, they're getting rid of the tickets after this season. I'm sure I'll have much less netting to contend with in the future.

06-14-2019, 05:51 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I think you're right, that distance from the net is a factor. . . .
I have found from my experience at photographing animals in their enclosures at zoos,
it is your distance from the netting/fencing as well as your target's positioning as well that can pose a problem in your captured image

think about depth of field, not only what is visible behind your target but what is visible in front of your target, if you catch my drift.