Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best K-5 settings for smaller file sizes? Trying to set up DIY photo booth

Hi all,

I'm planning on setting up a DIY photo booth at my son's graduation party. K-5 on a tripod, sending jpgs to an Ipad via an eye-fi card. The kids will use a remote trigger to take the shots. I want the photos to show instantly on the ipad that will be facing them. In my experimentation with the eye-fi card previously, the transfer rate was really slow, so I was thinking to change camera settings to make the files smaller. There are two jpg settings on the K-5, file size and quality. Which is better to adjust to make the file sizes smaller, but still have pretty good quality jpgs?

Also, any other suggestions for a DYI photo booth would be appreciated. I'd like to figure out a way to allow them to copy the pics to their iphones, but don't know how to do that. Thanks!

05-16-2019, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You could run an HDMI cable from the camera to a small monitor(19" or there about), then change the length of time you see the preview.

As they are giggling about the photo, maybe you could download during that time.
05-16-2019, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Hi all,

I'm planning on setting up a DIY photo booth at my son's graduation party. K-5 on a tripod, sending jpgs to an Ipad via an eye-fi card. The kids will use a remote trigger to take the shots. I want the photos to show instantly on the ipad that will be facing them. In my experimentation with the eye-fi card previously, the transfer rate was really slow, so I was thinking to change camera settings to make the files smaller. There are two jpg settings on the K-5, file size and quality. Which is better to adjust to make the file sizes smaller, but still have pretty good quality jpgs?

Also, any other suggestions for a DYI photo booth would be appreciated. I'd like to figure out a way to allow them to copy the pics to their iphones, but don't know how to do that. Thanks!
I would recommend shooting in raw+. Set the jpeg resolution to the lowest setting (2 megapixels or thereabout), then you'll be able to get a quick preview while also having the full-size file if needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
You could run an HDMI cable from the camera to a small monitor(19" or there about), then change the length of time you see the preview.

As they are giggling about the photo, maybe you could download during that time.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attach to a monitor.

05-16-2019, 12:10 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Step 1 is to figure out the minimum resolution that you actually need for the task. The K-5 supports 16, 10, 6, 2 MPix sizes with each having a proportionally smaller file size.

Step 2 is to set the quality which is a subjective decision. The lowest quality setting will load 5X faster than the highest but whether YOU (and your son) find it acceptable is a personal decision.

Step 3 is to take other steps that reduce file size such as using a lower ISO and shooting in front of a background that doesn't have too much detail. That won't save much time (maybe 10-20%?) but it's something.

P.S. P 58 of the K-5 manual lists the number of images a 2 GB card can hold using the various size and quality settings. Those number will give you some hint that if one setting takes twice as much time to show on the iPad as you want, look at the chart and find a different setting that can store 2X as many files.
05-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would recommend shooting in raw+. Set the jpeg resolution to the lowest setting (2 megapixels or thereabout), then you'll be able to get a quick preview while also having the full-size file if needed.
Yes, thanks, that would be the best idea in order for the jpgs to show up quickly. The only problem with this is that the Eye-fi card that I have is only 4GB. I think that it would wind up filling quickly with the RAW files. Also, I would rather not deal with Raw files at all for this photo booth. Maybe I'll do some testing though.
05-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the goal for the images captured? Do you just want 'snapshots' that won't be enlarged and printed? If so, you might take some trial shots using the 2MPix resolution and 3-star Jpg quality. Of course, 1 and 2 star quality settings will yield smaller files, but you might find the image quality objectionably poor. Who will ultimately be viewing these shots, and what are their expectations?
05-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
What is the goal for the images captured? Do you just want 'snapshots' that won't be enlarged and printed? If so, you might take some trial shots using the 2MPix resolution and 3-star Jpg quality. Of course, 1 and 2 star quality settings will yield smaller files, but you might find the image quality objectionably poor. Who will ultimately be viewing these shots, and what are their expectations?
The main goal is for the kids to have a good time doing it. I don't expect to take any of these photos and do anything fancy with them. Having said that, I don't want images that I don't think are good quality. I guess I can take a test at the 6 MP size and see how that looks.

05-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #9

Isn't there any mini HDMI - lightning cable you could use to set the ipad as an external monitor? I would look in to that.

As for the quality, I used to develop RAW in camera and export then to a mobile with an eyefi card, using the 2mp+4star quality, just to post it to Instagram, and that work just fine on smartphone screen and even print then in 4x6, so I think this will do just fine for you if you still wanted to send then wirelessly to the pad.