Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2019, 02:53 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax's version of Pixel Shift is better than most think...

These days, I only shoot Pixel Shift (PS) images with my Pentax K-1 camera on a tripod with 2-second timer. I use the "MC" (motion correction) PS setting.

I exclusively shoot jpgs, because I usually nail the exposure and do minimal post processing. Jpg PS files are around 20mb, plenty large enough for most of my needs.

I shoot fast lenses wide open so my shutter speeds are typically 1/4,000 or faster (a fast shutter helps to minimize motion blur artifacts).

I'm finding that if the wind's no greater than a gentle breeze, I usually don't have problems with motion artifacts.

The sharpness is terrific, and the colors are good (but frankly I can't tell much difference between PS colors and non-PS colors - they're both very good on the K-1).

After owning my K-1 camera since it first came out three years ago, I continue to have my jaw drop when seeing the Pixel Shift images it produces.

If you own a Pentax camera with Pixel Shift and you have not used it, try it. If you've tried PS before and didn't warm up to it, you just might want to give it a try again. It took me months and hundreds of photos to really warm up to PS, and now I can't image shooting in any other mode!

Below's a test PS photo I just took using one of my favorite bokeh lenses (Bronica SQ "S version" f/3.5) wide open at f/3.5. The second photo is a 100% magnification - heck, you can even read the tiny patent numbers on the back of this garbage bin that's about 40 feet away!

[IMG][/IMG]

05-16-2019, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great examples!

PS is amazing.

The effect of PS on colors probably isn't noticeable at low ISO but as the ISO climbs, it makes huge difference. Try PS at ISO 25k sometime. PS literally makes the "grains" of noise half the width (1/4 the area) of what they are in a regular non-PS shot.

Also, if you have a lens that out-resolves the sensor, PS will show the true color of tony and fine-detail objects.
05-17-2019, 05:17 AM   #3

EDIT: Never mind I should have done a basic Google search first! I'm assuming you're using the Fotodiox adapter. My bad and nice example and test shot!

I'm confused, how are you using Pentax PS on your K-1 with a Bronica SQ medium format lens? If this is possible somehow, it would be a BIG DEAL for me!

Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
These days, I only shoot Pixel Shift (PS) images with my Pentax K-1 camera on a tripod with 2-second timer. I use the "MC" (motion correction) PS setting.

I exclusively shoot jpgs, because I usually nail the exposure and do minimal post processing. Jpg PS files are around 20mb, plenty large enough for most of my needs.

I shoot fast lenses wide open so my shutter speeds are typically 1/4,000 or faster (a fast shutter helps to minimize motion blur artifacts).

I'm finding that if the wind's no greater than a gentle breeze, I usually don't have problems with motion artifacts.

The sharpness is terrific, and the colors are good (but frankly I can't tell much difference between PS colors and non-PS colors - they're both very good on the K-1).

After owning my K-1 camera since it first came out three years ago, I continue to have my jaw drop when seeing the Pixel Shift images it produces.

If you own a Pentax camera with Pixel Shift and you have not used it, try it. If you've tried PS before and didn't warm up to it, you just might want to give it a try again. It took me months and hundreds of photos to really warm up to PS, and now I can't image shooting in any other mode!

Below's a test PS photo I just took using one of my favorite bokeh lenses (Bronica SQ "S version" f/3.5) wide open at f/3.5. The second photo is a 100% magnification - heck, you can even read the tiny patent numbers on the back of this garbage bin that's about 40 feet away!

[/url][/IMG]

Last edited by chiron; 05-17-2019 at 08:08 AM.
05-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiron Quote
EDIT: Never mind I should have done a basic Google search first! I'm assuming you're using the Fotodiox adapter. My bad and nice example and test shot!

I'm confused, how are you using Pentax PS on your K-1 with a Bronica SQ medium format lens? If this is possible somehow, it would be a BIG DEAL for me!

Thanks!
There may an adapter. I use my Pemtax 645 lenses on 35mm.

05-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I think I tested it once, I'll have to try it again.
05-19-2019, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chiron Quote

Thanks!
Pixel shift will work with any adapted lens.

In any case, I definitely agree with @Fenwoodian - the JPEGs produced in pixel shift mode definitely don't get the attention they deserve. They're such an easy way to get really good detail without any post processing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: