Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-29-2019, 01:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blurry photos after camera knock

My camera bag was knocked off a chair and since then my K50's photos are slightly out of focus. The autofocus works fine but the results are the same with both my lenses (one of which wasn't in the bag at the time). I had the same problem with my K20 when the same thing happened to it years ago. I assume that the sensor has moved out of place. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone now if it can be fixed?

05-29-2019, 03:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ouch! I would imagine it can be fixed, but the problem might be that it may not be economical to fix.
Is the camera insured? If so, you may wish to make this your insurer's problem.
05-29-2019, 04:12 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

good luck on your problem

if there is room, you might look to add to your camera bag, perhaps a lens/camera case or wrap or other padding ?

from your description, it appears it doesn't do a good job of protecting your equipment

here is a link to user reviews of such equipment:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/Bags-and-Cases-i145.html

( backpacks, camera bags, lens cases )

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-29-2019 at 04:29 AM.
05-29-2019, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ikonographics Quote
My camera bag was knocked off a chair and since then my K50's photos are slightly out of focus. The autofocus works fine but the results are the same with both my lenses (one of which wasn't in the bag at the time). I had the same problem with my K20 when the same thing happened to it years ago. I assume that the sensor has moved out of place. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone now if it can be fixed?
The problem could be sensor related or AF module related.

If you manually focus using the viewfinder are the pictures sharp ?

If you use Live View does the AF work ?

05-29-2019, 06:13 AM   #5
Forum Member

It might help to run through the AF fine adjustment steps to see if it's correctable:

Fixing Front and Back Focus - The Remedy - In-Depth Articles
05-29-2019, 06:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The focus problem could be due to several different things. Rule things out step by step:

Did the sensor get knocked out of place? Put the camera on a tripod or table, turn on liveview, and use the shutter timer. Can you get a sharp image with AF in liveview, or with manual focus? If photos are unevenly sharp across the frame the sensor might no longer be even with the focal plane.

Assuming that liveview is okay, go through the optical viewfinder AF fine adjustment linked in the prior post.

Also check the viewfinder diopter adjustment. Focus with liveview, then switch to viewfinder and adjust diopter.

If photos remain sharp in liveview and blurred with viewfinder, retest the viewfinder with shake reduction turned on or off.
05-29-2019, 07:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Check that the lens mount is secure also. With luck you just need to tighten the screws. If a lens was attached when it had impact I would suspect this.

05-29-2019, 08:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ouch! I would imagine it can be fixed, but the problem might be that it may not be economical to fix.
Is the camera insured? If so, you may wish to make this your insurer's problem.
Nope, unfortunately it's not insured...looks like I'll end up coughing up for a K70.

---------- Post added 05-29-2019 at 06:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
good luck on your problem

if there is room, you might look to add to your camera bag, perhaps a lens/camera case or wrap or other padding ?

from your description, it appears it doesn't do a good job of protecting your equipment

here is a link to user reviews of such equipment:

Bags and Cases - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

( backpacks, camera bags, lens cases )
Thanks for the link. You'd be amazed what can happen in a freak accident. You wouldn't believe the damage my old K20 and the lens suffered in a 40cm fall in my sturdy Lowepro. The technician couldn't believe it.
My cameras all seem to die in freak accidents!

---------- Post added 05-29-2019 at 06:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The problem could be sensor related or AF module related.

If you manually focus using the viewfinder are the pictures sharp ?

If you use Live View does the AF work ?
The focusing is fine both manually and with autofocus both through the viewfinder and live view. But the photo is out of focus, which is why I suspect the sensor has moved.

---------- Post added 05-29-2019 at 06:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BugsDogsAndSunsets Quote
It might help to run through the AF fine adjustment steps to see if it's correctable:

Fixing Front and Back Focus - The Remedy - In-Depth Articles
I've tried that, but it didn't make any difference.

---------- Post added 05-29-2019 at 07:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Check that the lens mount is secure also. With luck you just need to tighten the screws. If a lens was attached when it had impact I would suspect this.
I checked the screws...they're fine

---------- Post added 05-29-2019 at 07:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The focus problem could be due to several different things. Rule things out step by step:

Did the sensor get knocked out of place? Put the camera on a tripod or table, turn on liveview, and use the shutter timer. Can you get a sharp image with AF in liveview, or with manual focus? If photos are unevenly sharp across the frame the sensor might no longer be even with the focal plane.

Assuming that liveview is okay, go through the optical viewfinder AF fine adjustment linked in the prior post.

Also check the viewfinder diopter adjustment. Focus with liveview, then switch to viewfinder and adjust diopter.

If photos remain sharp in liveview and blurred with viewfinder, retest the viewfinder with shake reduction turned on or off.
Autofocus locks fine and I can get sharp images both in live view and through the viewfinder, but the photo isn't sharp where I focused. I've tried the fine adjustment and it makes no difference, so that's why I assume it's the sensor. I guess I'll be coughing up for a K70....
05-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

That is strange if live view is in focus because that is read off the sensor.
05-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I assume that the sensor has moved out of place.
That would mean significant physical internal damage.

The focusing is fine both manually and with autofocus both through the viewfinder and live view. But the photo is out of focus, which is why I suspect the sensor has moved.
If it is in-focus in live view, the capture image will also be in focus. Both use the image sensor. I suspect there is internal physical damage to the lens allowing shifting during exposure. Alternatively, physical damage to the SR mount points.

Steve

(...sound of "taps" playing softly in the distance...)
05-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

If it is in-focus in live view, the capture image will also be in focus. Both use the image sensor. I suspect there is internal physical damage to the lens allowing shifting during exposure. Alternatively, physical damage to the SR mount points.

Steve

Or the AF group has moved in the housing.

Bad luck. I had my K-3 fall off a 5 foot high tripod and land on a concrete hard surface. The k-3 is fine, the DA* 60-250 needed a few new seals and now needs a +5 adjustment. But of course, that 's a fix it and forget it issue. It's pretty much forgotten now.
05-29-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like time for a new camera
05-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Sounds like time for a new camera
Yep...looks I'll be coughing up for a K70

---------- Post added 05-29-2019 at 09:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

It doesn't focus properly with either of my lenses, though. I've asked a friend (who I made into a Pentaxian ) to bring her lenses over tomorrow to make absolutely sure that the problem is with the camera and not the lenses.
05-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep...looks I'll be coughing up for a K70
Depending on your needs and budget, the K-S2 is still on special for $400. K-S2 with 18-50WR Lens (Black & Orange) - Ricoh
05-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is sad. But the bright side is you will find the K-70 a big step forward. If you do not have the DA 18-135mm lens, and if a similar deal is offered where you are as we have here in the US, you might consider getting both together. usually you can shave about $100 off the price of the lens. I just checked B&H of NYC, and this month they are shaving off yet another $100 off that combo, coming in at just under $800 USD.

Oops! I just saw the posting by rogerstg coming through as I was typing mine. That is also a really outstanding deal! I have the KP and K-5 IIs, with the K-S2 also which I got before the arrival of the KP. The K-S2 is a very fine camera. Very compact and lightweight, has a similar controls design as the K-70, which superseded it. Same articulating rear screen. Its 20mp sensor delivers very fine results. The K-70 does present some advancements, but I still love my K-S2 as my ultra-compact alternative. That little newer kit lens is an improvement over the older kit lens in many ways. Better AF, quiet and accurate. It is amazingly compact. With that lens on it, I can actually put the K-S2 into large jacket pocket! Try that with any other brand APS-C DSLR with a zoom lens!

Their writeup has an error. The lens description is tat of the DA 18-135mm lens, but if you look closely at the photo of the camera you will see the kit lens is the same as mine- 18-50mm. When retracted for carrying, this lens is more compact than any zoom lens I have seen offering wide angle and a tele range good for many uses. I got the same combo at about the same price years ago just after the K-70 was announced, but I thought all of that stock was now gone.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-29-2019 at 11:48 AM.