Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2019, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

I originally bought a K10D which I gifted to my son when I bought my K-5 in 2010. In late 2013 I bought my K-3 and I am using both the K-5 and the K-3. The K-3 I use mainly for birds and wildlife and main travel camera since I can pair it with the 55-300 PLM and 24 MP allows for more cropping. I use the K-5 as my lightweight walk around city camera with smaller lenses. One day I may upgrade one of them but both are serving me well now. For me the only real limitation of the K-5 is that I can't use the PLM with it.

05-30-2019, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #32

I am using a K-3 and a K-500 and my 17 year old son has a K-50. I have had to fix both the K-500 and K-50 for the aperture block issue, but all are functioning great with no plans to replace them.
05-30-2019, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Nice Was that shot with an i/r filter, Wratten 87 or similar, on the lens, or is all the effect achieved with post-processing?
The K-r has been converted by ACS in Norfolk, England, to respond to infrared light. Their technicians fit the infrared filter directly onto the sensor, so the camera will no longer capture 'normal light'. The images are formed only from the infrared light emitted by the scene - the bright parts have emitted the most infrared. To make the monochrome image in the posted example, the image from the camera was processed in Silver Efex Pro.

Philip
05-30-2019, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5IIs - still like it best of all my Pentax cameras. The K-1 is better in many regards but also bigger. When I want to do candids its the Q though.

05-30-2019, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I thought I loved my first Pentax -- the K-10D -- until I got the K-5. The K-5 offered a huge leap in IQ, high-ISO performance, ruggedness, an advanced functionality. The K-5 is still an excellent body even to this day.

My K-5 still sees use when I need a second body. However, I now use the K-1 the vast majority of the time even for APS-C work because, for all intents and purposes, the K-1 includes a K-5 built into it when put in crop mode.
05-30-2019, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
The K-r has been converted by ACS in Norfolk, England, to respond to infrared light. Their technicians fit the infrared filter directly onto the sensor, so the camera will no longer capture 'normal light'. The images are formed only from the infrared light emitted by the scene - the bright parts have emitted the most infrared. To make the monochrome image in the posted example, the image from the camera was processed in Silver Efex Pro.
Philip

Excellent! Thanks for the detailed response ... it certainly works very well
05-30-2019, 09:14 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K-r converted to infrared 720nm:Philip
Super image Phillip!

K3 is still my most advanced APS-C but the K5 was a workhorse, retired now mostly because the flash system has gone dead and would cost more to repair than the body is worth. I really should offer it at a bargain price in case someone who doesn't use flash might be interested.

05-30-2019, 04:07 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Add me to the K5ii fan club!
05-30-2019, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

kypfer and WPRESTO - 'Thank you' to you both.

Philip
05-30-2019, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

K-5II. I still prefer it over my k-3II when it comes to image quality. I fell in love with it the first time I used it. I'm still wishing that the KAF4 mount can be used on this series. It's a camera worth keeping.
05-30-2019, 04:56 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a K-x in 2009, a K-5 in 2012, and traded the K-5 for a K-3 in 2015. The K-3 only has 28k shutter actuations so I'll probably be using it for a few more years. It takes me a few years to upgrade equipment, I just sold my 2014 Sigma 150-500 and upgraded to a D FA 150-450...
05-30-2019, 06:50 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Philip
Was the conversion a pricey proposition?

---------- Post added 05-30-19 at 18:59 ----------

Pentax K-r converted to infrared 720nm:

[ Pentax K-r IR with kit lens: DA 18-55mm AL II at 24mm ]

Philip
I just saw the "click to view photo" link.

Makes me want to buy an older body just for the sake of converting it.

---------- Post added 05-30-19 at 19:00 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
My main camera is still the Samsung GX-10 version of the K10D. Here are some snaps from so far this year:

I really like those monochrome ones.

---------- Post added 05-30-19 at 19:01 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
2 K-3 bodies and 1 K-5 IIs here

one of the K-3's I bought new and it's rapidly closing in on 100k shutter actuations - it's a tank...

second K-3 was bought used here through the Marketplace and doesn't have half that amount of shots on it (yet)

the K-5 IIs I bought "used" from Roberts Camera and is now my permanent M42 body (I say "used" because it had less than 500 shots on it and I could not tell that it had ever been used)....

I had a K-50 that I traded off because it was developing an electrical glitch that I figured was going to kill it eventually, so I replaced it with the second K-3...

as far as enjoying them - I cannot imagine having better camera bodies in my hand, either the K-3 or the K-5...

and the IQ is consistently surprising me...

some of my favorites:

My favs are 2 & 6. Nice.

---------- Post added 05-30-19 at 19:03 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
K-5, I bought used in 2014 (my first real camera) is my only camera. But I'm saving for something else someday (still Pentax ).

I use mostly my K series lenses I've collected over the past 5 years.

With the K-30mm f2.8

With the K-50mm f1.4

With the K-85 f1.8
Those are all older "film" lenses, yes? Lovely, no matter what lenses.

---------- Post added 05-30-19 at 19:08 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Bonus: High-ISO with the K-3, in this case ISO 5000 (gasp!), mixed ambient/incandescent light, no flash:
There's a lot going on there for this to look so balanced. How do you get ISO 5000?
05-30-2019, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

K7, K30, they are the work horses without any issue.
No longer own them after I had K5iis, and then K3, K1
05-30-2019, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought a K-r in 2011 then a K-3 in 2013. K-3 is my workhorse and K-r sits as a backup (wife uses on rare occasions). Love the K-3, image quality is excellent and I am so accustomed to using it that I have little desire to replace it. I have enough quality full frame lenses to make a kit with the K-1 (or K-1ii) but just don't think I really need it. Really the only things I wish the K-3 had is flippy screen and WiFi. I have considered KP but don't like small battery and single card slot. Am waiting to see APS-C flagship appear from Pentax, but if it omits much from K-3 I probably won't be interested.
05-30-2019, 11:47 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
There's a lot going on there for this to look so balanced. How do you get ISO 5000?

Appreciated, although it didn't require much work on my part. In the Custom Setting Menu of the K-3, C1.1 EV Steps is left on the 1/3 EV Steps default setting, whereas C1.2 Sensitivity Steps is set to be in accordance with the EV Steps (the default would be 1 EV Step). That way, depending on the light, the camera's Auto ISO will select something like ISO 5000.

My White Balance setting (in camera) is Multi Auto White Balance. Otherwise, the image was processed to taste starting from a custom preset (aiming for natural colours) that I have for the K-3 in DxO PhotoLab 2. Crucial parts of the image were accentuated using the SmartLighting tool, which works like a multi-spot metering you can apply in post. I added some local microcontrast and sharpening to the rings and rescued some highlight detail with the Correction Brush. In my preset, the denoising settings (of DxO's Prime Denoising) are deliberately dialled down to about 1/3 of the default values to prevent unnecessary loss of detail and textures. That's basically it.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 05-31-2019 at 12:05 AM. Reason: precision