Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2007, 06:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"The photos in this ad were taken by photographers who are much better than you are, using lenses you won't be able to afford, and the models in the photos are more beautiful than anybody you know. So don't expect YOUR pictures to look this good!"

lol.(sniff)

03-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #17
Ed in GA

My take on this issue is.........

Pentax has not been at the forefront of photography for several years.

Now comes the K10D.

IMO, FWIW, there has never been a more hightly scrutinized camera in the marketplace. I find more people trying to figure out what's wrong with it than trying to find what's right with it.

If you buy one and you don't like the results you are getting? Return it. If you are happy with the results? Keep it.

I can almost assure you that 95% of the people complaining about issues with the camera would never have know there were issues if someone hadn't told them. Most would be perfectly happy with their new cameras.

Enough Already!!
03-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

reply to Simon..

some would argue different but there are reasonably good zooms out there.. "zoom" isnt the problem pretty near give away free with the camera cheapo kit lens is the problem..

if u look at compact design over the last few years.. lets take the FZ50 for example.. it has a superb 12 x zoom leica lens.. u get it and some fancy technology for less than the cost of a half decent dslr lens..

dslr bodies might have gotten cheaper.. the lenses still match the pre "cheap" days.. okay they think we buy into a system.. but they got it wrong with me.. when i see a pentax kit lens advertised for £199 in the UK i think its a sick joke..

the only pentax lens i have is one like u treasure..an old manual K 1.7mm 50mm prime.. it cost me £20 with postage off ebay..

if the camera makers want to sell dslr to the masses they really are gonna have to provide some more cost effective lenses..

trog

Last edited by trog100; 03-02-2007 at 02:51 PM.
03-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
rsome would argue different but there are reasonably good zooms out there.. "zoom" isnt the problem pretty near give away free with the camera cheapo kit lens is the problem..
That's really my point, it would be a lot cheaper to manufacture a decent mass-market prime than a decent zoom. Or to put it another way a decent prime might involve a similar cost to a crappy zoom.

Simon

Last edited by Simon; 03-02-2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: typo
03-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

yes to my way of thinking its should be cheaper to make a half decent prime than a half decent zoo.. which is how it used to be.. but now primes seem to be reserved for the "expensive" end of things..

only the purist is considered to want them and he of course will pay big money..

my perfect dslr camera for the masses would be a k100 fitted with a new tamron 18 x 250mm.. this would satisfy the urge for zoom.. but it would still cost twice as much as a panasonic FZ50..

what such a lens would cost in the UK with a pentax name on it god only knows thow..

trog
03-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I think the 18-250 is stupid - their 18-200 has enough issues which aren't going to be fixed by slapping on another 50mm at the long end.

Even Nikon's 18-200 has issues, and that's a much more expensive (and better designed) lens.
when i see a pentax kit lens advertised for £199 in the UK i think its a sick joke..
That's what my 16-45 cost! (thereabouts. £199 is AU$490 ATM, and it cost me $450)

The 18-55 cheapo is AU$283 (£114).
03-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

every lens has "issues" the 16 x 45 has some pretty big issues at anything over 45mm.. he he

the problem here is simple.. once u get used to the 12 x zoom on a high end compact like an FZ50.. improved image quality at 18 x 55 really dont cut it.. the 18 x 250 makes at least some attempt at cutting it..

the fact that my FZ20 produces a sharper image than the pentax kit lens dont help either.. he he

trog
03-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote

The 18-55 cheapo is AU$283 (£114).

What? £114? What is that - like $200 US? The 18-55 is available all day long brand new for $79.95 through Cameta on eebay. They'll ship anywhere in the Milky Way.

Larry

03-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
What? £114? What is that - like $200 US? The 18-55 is available all day long brand new for $79.95 through Cameta on eebay. They'll ship anywhere in the Milky Way.
Yeah, just saw that, it's not just on EBay. I guess we're too small a market. Despite our strong exchange rate a lot of things simply aren't cheaper.
03-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Hello Larry;

May I suggest that you compile all of the concerns you have voiced here and send them off to either Pentax UK, USA or Japan. As I am also sending my critiques to Pentax France, it would be best served if we spread the info more evenly. Perhaps by doing so, we may see some results more quickly.

Best Wishes
Ben
Great idea, and I have sent these concerns to Pentax US, and even to Ned Bunnell at Pentax and got quick universal dismissal.

I don't know how to email any of this to Japan, but they probably have more ability to do something.

For what I do, the camera gives great results compared to what I see from other cameras - even like when I try new things like the seagull shot below. I have the tools for post processing, sharpening, etc. but as amazing as the K10D is, it does offer in-camera jpeg processing, so to be an even better tool, and consequentially a better seller, this jpeg processing aspect should be as good as we know it can be. And VPN just has to be eliminated.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

so what lens did u use on the seagull mutley..???

nice shot..

trog
03-03-2007, 02:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

so what lens did u use on the seagull mutley..???

nice shot..

trog
Thanks! I had my new Tamron 70-300mm LD Di out and was trying 300mm shots around wide open to test sharpness & PF as the Sigma 70-300 APO I had was soft at 300 and had more PF.

I found this lens to be very sharp, and about 150g lighter than the Sigma with better construction and warranty (6 years). Here's a couple more from the same day:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-03-2007, 02:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Reduced size for this forum...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by mutley; 03-04-2007 at 01:06 AM.
03-04-2007, 03:12 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Mutley said - The stuff he points out is simply what is and has been, and will be apparent to many users and pro reviewers. The jpg files do not do the RAW files justice. Period. All Pentax needs to do is stop making excuses for this, and offer an ACUTANCE/EDGE sharpening option in the menu by firmware. This will make it a non-issue. Too many people continue to notice this. Trying to email the Photography Review reviewer to tell him he is yet another of the reviewers, and hundreds of posters that are just wrong - won't stop their opinion. Again, this is specifically for the JPEG in-camera processing. As good as the RAW is, most owners will use the jpg, so this really matters - if Pentax will see this already.
I don't own the K10D nor am I an expert in either the art of photography or the technological aspects of digital cameras. But I think the issue regarding jpegs is only an issue of opinion and I don't understand why your opinion should override all others who do not share your opinion.

I really like the in camera jpegs I have seen created by the K10D I have heard them referred to as having a film like quality, whatever quality it is I like it.
Canon has been put forward as the benchmark by many of the pixel peeping reviewers out there and this is what the jpegs are being judged against - well I for one do not like the plastic looking shots produced by canon - but that is only my opinion but it is one of the reasons I didn't buy canon.

I like the shots I achieve with my *istDS and I really like what I have seen from the K10D both raw and in camera jpeg. So in my opinion I sincerely hope Pentax leave the in Camera Jpegs just the way they are.
03-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

nice images mutley and a good advert for what in essence is a bargain basement lens.. i find the tamron and sigma versions to be pretty much on a par thow both sharp.. even wide open.. but there might be some production variations in them.. if u had of said a much more expensive lens i would have accepted it without question....

trog