Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Can Auto Focus be set to BEEP

I do a lot of shooting without looking through the view finder . I shoot everyday at my dogpark, and a long time ago decided that I wouldn't be doing it if I had to run around looking through the viewfinder all the time - too obtrusive. So, I shoot casually from the hip while conversing with people. If something is really important, I'll use the viewfinder.
Is there anyway to set the K10 to beep when in focus ?
Of course, the problem -I'm guessing - would be that it would always eventually focus on something, maybe not the dog ?
Any ideas ?

Marty
(dotfur.com)

10-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K200D beeped when I first got it. I turned that off though. Not sure if the K10D has the same "feature."

But, my camera won't even take a picture until it thinks it is in focus (which is annoying sometimes) so there is no need for the beep. If the shutter will release, it has focussed on something. Again, don't know if this "feature" applies to the K10D.
10-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The K10 does beep when in focus, although I'm not sure if it's in the menu...

Easiest test would be to flip the switch to MF and focus on something.

But, in AF modes it will only take a pic when in focus sooooooo...the shutter should be your beep
10-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

its in the setup menu, a function merely called "Beep" if i remember correctly.
On my k20d you can turn it on for many events, but Im 99% sure the K10D has the same.
It does a double beep when it hits focus (same time the red dots flash)

10-08-2008, 02:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The K10d does have the "beep" function. Go to the menu, then tools. You also get the "in focus" icon in the viewfinder when you are in focus.
10-08-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
Forum Member

the k10d beep on focus but you can't hear it if you shoot from the hip, the beep is not loud enough.

10-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Menu->Set-up->Beep->In-Focus

Mine is switched off. I prefer to be silent and only do VZZZZZZZZZ and Klu-tzhi when shooting

10-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Marty,
This would be a great situation to use an M42 lens, such as a 28/2.8 Takumar in the zone focus setup. You preset the lens to allow everything to be in focus and AV mode will auto expose for you. You have no focus delay, noise and you won't miss those great shots because of delay. See link below.

Dave

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/38553-lost-art-zone-focusing.html

QuoteOriginally posted by voicelit Quote
I do a lot of shooting without looking through the view finder . I shoot everyday at my dogpark, and a long time ago decided that I wouldn't be doing it if I had to run around looking through the viewfinder all the time - too obtrusive. So, I shoot casually from the hip while conversing with people. If something is really important, I'll use the viewfinder.
Is there anyway to set the K10 to beep when in focus ?
Of course, the problem -I'm guessing - would be that it would always eventually focus on something, maybe not the dog ?
Any ideas ?

Marty
(dotfur.com)
10-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lequynorm Quote
the k10d beep on focus but you can't hear it if you shoot from the hip, the beep is not loud enough.

Not just from the hip, the beep is so low in volume and high in pitch, the slightest hearing loss makes it completely useless. My wife claims she can hear it but only occasionally.
10-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It's so unfortunate we only have one sight and one hearing, once they're damaged it's hard to repair em

I personally like the beep since I don't have to move my eye from the target (meaning...don't have to use peripheral vision for the green icon)...