Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I read through the thread and I didn't see anyone mentioning the Takumar Club under Pentax SLR Discussion. I know the OP mentions a lot of M42 glass other than Takumars but it's some great examples of what can be done with that wonderful glass.

spiralcity, if you haven't already, see: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club.html for about 51 pages of M42 examples. Yes some are shot with film but many are shot digital.

CW

10-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #17

I'm a newbie to the dslr world and have one M42 lens mounted to a cheap adaptor. I really dig the lens and the feel of it. It's like old school meets new.
10-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
I read through the thread and I didn't see anyone mentioning the Takumar Club under Pentax SLR Discussion. I know the OP mentions a lot of M42 glass other than Takumars but it's some great examples of what can be done with that wonderful glass.

spiralcity, if you haven't already, see: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club.html for about 51 pages of M42 examples. Yes some are shot with film but many are shot digital.

CW
Hi,
Thanks for the link. I'm going to browse the post after I post this...
10-09-2008, 03:12 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by allill Quote
I'm a newbie to the dslr world and have one M42 lens mounted to a cheap adaptor. I really dig the lens and the feel of it. It's like old school meets new.
I know how you feel about the old with the new. I have taken a lot of very good photos with various M42 lenses and adapters, most of them being macro shots which I class as some of my the detailed and interesting ones.
Plus I like the look and feel of old lenses on a new DSLR too. It's quite nostalgic, and very reassuring to be able to use (so easily) a great Super-Takumar lens that my dad used to use many years ago on my K10D. Small things like this mean a lot to me.

It can be a pain manually focusing with a small, AF-simplified viewfinder - but I've found that with patience and care, fantastic digital photos can be taken for very little investment (if you don't count the camera body!)
Strangely, I've only recently fully understood the green button. I used to use the Av mode for M42 lenses, and as the partially-metered exposure can jump about as you move the camera I often got very hit-and-miss results. But I discovered the one-time manual exposure sampling of the green button last week, and shot about 20 photos in a field of corn without one bad exposure. Admittedly, the lighting conditions weren't very challenging, but I was impressed nonetheless.
I can't seem to do without it now.
Duh! (slaps head)

10-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can also greatly ease your focus, but with some serious crop in PP and a greater lens conversion factor...
Just center what you want on the central focus point (i.e. the front eye...), then, in AF mode, focus the lens: it'll shoot only on AF confirmation (but your subject will be centered, thus effectively losing nearly half your megapixels for a 1/3 rule composition).
10-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #21
Pentaxian

After all the M42 screw mount was THE pentax mount before 1975, and the K mount was designed to be as backwards campatible as possible, so it is no coincidence that Pentax is the body of choice if you have M42 hardware. We have occasionallly cursed pentax when they broke backwards compatibility, but in the broad sense it is quite amazing to be able to pick up a 50 year old M42 lens and use in on a state of the art digital body.

QuoteOriginally posted by spiralcity Quote
Jason,
I'm not a noob to photography, I've been shooting since my teens, I'm in my 40's now. I'm a noob to this forum and digital photography.

I own tons of manual gear but ony a single ps digital Kodak.

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll start this digital experiment with the K20D (the price is nice) and see how things go. I orginally had my heart set on Nikons D90 but I was told my Zeiss glass wouldn't perform well with this camera, even with my Nereus adapter which has a glass element.

George,
Thanks for the links to the great pics.
10-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #22

Pentax made M42 cameras and lenses in the Spotmatic and Takumar age, so in no doubt Pentax is THE choice for M42 lenses. You only need an adapter, preferably made by Pentax but third party ones are fine, as long as the lens mounts nicely on the body with no gap at all. One advantage of Pentax adapters is that their threads are so correctly made so that the reading of the f-number and focusing etc are on the top when screwed in.

Only thing is that, I tried a couple of M42 lenses on K100D as well as K10D. K100D seems not to detect a lens and so refuses to activate shake reduction. K10D does not have this problem. Don't know about other models. Nevertheless both models can take photos with the M42 lenses.

For those M42 lenses that do not have a manual aperture option (i.e. the aperture stays wide unless the little aperture pin is pushed in), you can make it manual by opening up the mount and taking off the spring that connects the aperture pin. It worked with some lenses. BUT ONLY do it if you dare, at your own risk!

Otherwise M42 on a Pentax is just fine!
10-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by YatHei Quote
For those M42 lenses that do not have a manual aperture option (i.e. the aperture stays wide unless the little aperture pin is pushed in), you can make it manual by opening up the mount and taking off the spring that connects the aperture pin. It worked with some lenses. BUT ONLY do it if you dare, at your own risk!

Otherwise M42 on a Pentax is just fine!
You can also try Big Dave's Epoxy Trick for auto-only m42 lenses:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/339493-post17.html