Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yongnuo and pentax - HSS and TTL

Hi volks

Does anyone tried to use HSS on Pentax,

specifically one of the YONGNUO HSS flashes?

I'm a little bit confused about Canon, and Nikon versions - because there is nowhere nothing about Pentax - at least for HSS - or maybe I was blind in the Google

--
I almost ordered 585 EX - but from what I've read here, it doesn't have HSS ?? -

Which Yongnuo should I order to have HSS anf TTL on my Pentax ?

--
And what about the remote trigger for it ?

Is it does HSS work attached on the camera , or it must be triggered by remote attached in the hot shou ?

Or is it irrelevant - and can be do both way ?

--
What triiger remote from Yongnuo is suitable for this, because I have see several of them. ?

--

Thanks everybody !

06-04-2019, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
Does anyone tried to use HSS on Pentax,
Yes, I've used it. HSS for Pentax is a flash function under P-TTL and requires either a physical connection from a P-TTL device (TX or flash) to the camera or a P-TTL slave relationship to a P-TTL master having such a connection.

specifically one of the YONGNUO HSS flashes?
Yongnuo does not support HSS for Pentax in any of their models.

I almost ordered 585 EX - but from what I've read here, it doesn't have HSS ?? -
That is correct.

Which Yongnuo should I order to have HSS anf TTL on my Pentax ?
They don't make an HSS flash for Pentax.

Sorry!

Steve
06-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, I've used it. HSS for Pentax is a flash function under P-TTL and requires either a physical connection from a P-TTL device (TX or flash) to the camera or a P-TTL slave relationship to a P-TTL master having such a connection.

Yongnuo does not support HSS for Pentax in any of their models.

That is correct.

They don't make an HSS flash for Pentax.

Sorry!

Steve
well .... that sucks :/

Thanks for your fast reply !
06-04-2019, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #4
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

They were supposedly planning on updating for HSS functionality in a later firmware update but I have not heard about it happening. Plus I have not attempted to update the firmware on my (2) 585EX's.

They are still a great value proposition though!

06-04-2019, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
pid
Pentaxian

just take a Cactus V6II Trigger and a RF60X
06-04-2019, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #6

As far as I know, Shanny SN600FGZ supports HSS.
06-05-2019, 07:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm currently looking for your suggestions - and I also now realised ,

that I'm not familiar with HSS settings into the camera.

--
I have KP which maybe doesn't support HSS at all ,

and
K3 - which does have dedicated wheel position "X" - for flash sync speed, but I don't know how to use it either
06-05-2019, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm currently looking for your suggestions - and I also now realised ,

that I'm not familiar with HSS settings into the camera.

--
I have KP which maybe doesn't support HSS at all ,

and
K3 - which does have dedicated wheel position "X" - for flash sync speed, but I don't know how to use it either
Your K-3 definitely supports HSS, just not for the on-board flash. The KP will also work with an HSS flash as will most* (all?) Pentax dSLRs. The key is that the HSS magic resides in the flash with very little work done by the camera. There are no required on-camera settings for external flash HSS; just shoot and be happy. HSS under Pentax P-TTL works something like this:
  • The user configures a supporting P-TTL flash** for HSS mode
  • The camera detects both HSS mode and the flash and allows the full range of shutter speeds
  • On shutter press, there is the usual pre-flash with the camera sending flash the meter reading and, presumably, the curtain slit travel duration (dwell)
  • The actual sync signal is sent via the hot shoe data pin. The main sync contact does not fire unless shutter speed is at X-sync or below.
  • The flash fires a modulated sequence of short bursts during the shutter action
Not all P-TTL flash (Pentax-brand included) support HSS despite claims of "full" P-TTL support. I hope this helps.

Steve

* The user manual for Pentax dSLRs usually provides a feature matrix for external flash that includes a row for HSS support.

** Some RF TX/RX systems are also capable of P-TTL with HSS emulation. At present, Yonguo does offer such.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-05-2019 at 08:30 AM.
06-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your K-3 definitely supports HSS, just not for the on-board flash. The KP will also work with an HSS flash as will most* (all?) Pentax dSLRs. The key is that the HSS magic resides in the flash with very little work done by the camera. There are no required on-camera settings for external flash HSS; just shoot and be happy. HSS under Pentax P-TTL works something like this:
  • The user configures a supporting P-TTL flash** for HSS mode
  • The camera detects both HSS mode and the flash and allows the full range of shutter speeds
  • On shutter press, there is the usual pre-flash with the camera sending flash the meter reading and, presumably, the curtain slit travel duration (dwell)
  • The actual sync signal is sent via the hot shoe data pin. The main sync contact does not fire unless shutter speed is at X-sync or below.
  • The flash fires a modulated sequence of short bursts during the shutter action
Not all P-TTL flash (Pentax-brand included) support HSS despite claims of "full" P-TTL support. I hope this helps.

Steve

* The user manual for Pentax dSLRs usually provides a feature matrix for external flash that includes a row for HSS support.

** Some RF TX/RX systems are also capable of P-TTL with HSS emulation. At present, Yonguo does offer such.
on board is what ? Flash mounted on the camera ?

--
So, how zhat works then ?
--
I'm glad you pointed it out . I'm investigate Godox right now. 600TT - and how I can use one.

It says it's multibrand on many places. On some says Canon, Nikon or etc.

I think the flash is the same,

but the radio trigger is - Nikon, or canon, or some other brand.
--
They're gaving the first letters of the brand, in the name of the godox radio triggers.

-
S is for Sony, N, for Nikon, and P for Pentax..

---
I don't know which of these is suitable for Pentax.
06-05-2019, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

on board is what ? Flash mounted on the camera ?
On-board means the flash built into the camera. External is a flash that is not part of the camera.

Steve
06-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On-board means the flash built into the camera. External is a flash that is not part of the camera.

Steve

ahhh, silly me
06-05-2019, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know which of these is suitable for Pentax.
The Xpro-P is the one you want. It has full TTL and HSS capability with all Godox speedlights and strobes minus the AD360II.