Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Holy crap, RiceHigh actually took a picture. We should add this date to the pentaforums calendar.

10-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"Average Photographers"

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Unfortunately you have let yourself down, your pictures, although there were a couple of decent ones there, serve to show that you are nothing more than an average photographer. How many years have you been taking pictures? Quite a few I should imagine. And this is the standard you have achieved?
Point and shoot cameras are very affordable these days, why don't you get yourself one?
I have looked at your posted photos at your gallery here and I am surely not inspired by any of your photos neither.

So, we are just two very "average photographers". When shall we go together to get our new "Point and Shoot cameras" then?
10-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #18
RaduA

I started to look at your pictures but something told me to look at your blog entry first.

I'm glad that I did, you were just using that event for more of your usual Pentax bashing.

I have to admire your tenacity, spending all that time just so you have an excuse to gripe again.

Unfortunately you have let yourself down, your pictures, although there were a couple of decent ones there, serve to show that you are nothing more than an average photographer. How many years have you been taking pictures? Quite a few I should imagine. And this is the standard you have achieved?
Point and shoot cameras are very affordable these days, why don't you get yourself one?

Thanks for posting, it made my day.
Gary,

Everybody's gotta make a living if you know what I mean ...

Regards,
Radu
10-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #19
Damn Brit

And another thing RH, why is this posted here and not the post your photos section?
Oh that's right, it's because it's another Pentax DSLR bashing thread from you.

The only thing that inspires you is vileness and hatred for Pentax.

Average I may be but I got myself to average in a year or so. How many years has it taken you, 10, 15, 20. Has your picture taking skill become less and less as that chip on your shoulder has grown and grown?

10-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #20
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Gary,

Everybody's gotta make a living if you know what I mean ...

Regards,
Radu
You're right but as this is probably the only forum that will have him, if he's going to see his job as bashing Pentax then that makes him fair game.
10-09-2008, 12:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Ricehigh

from your blog

QuoteQuote:
RiceHigh
I have been a photographer for 30 years and a Pentax (AF)SLR system user for 20 years. I own several Pentax film and DSLR bodies, along with an original Pentax lens collection of F, F*, FA, FA*, FA Limited, FAJ, DA, DFA lenses, from 16 to 300mm.

Its taken you 20 years to find out that your not happy with a camera brand.

I would actually be a bit embarrassed to admit that on a blog.

Either that or you are still struggling to come to terms with the fact you are having trouble producing results below that of lesser experienced photographers.

I suggest you stick with Pentax and give it a crack for another 20 years, who knows things your end just might begin to improve by then and you wont have wasted your money on another brand you feel is superior.

PS... have you bothered to check in the photo section to see some excellent pictures taken with this well below par crappy af pentax system... I never seem to see you compliment in there.. but then again I aint been around for 20 years

Neil
10-09-2008, 12:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax DSLR Age

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Its taken you 20 years to find out that your not happy with a camera brand.
Neil
Not 20 years with Pentax. All problems only happened since Pentax made DSLR bodies and digital lenses from 2003 and onwards. For more details, see my letter sent to the ex-CEO of the ex-Pentax Corporation:-

A Letter to the CEO of Pentax Corporation

10-09-2008, 02:53 AM   #23
Damn Brit

RH I apologise.....

Rice High, I would like to apologise. I was overly harsh with you. There is so much crap going on in the world your type of negativity just pushes me over the edge sometimes but that is no excuse for my words and the way I used them. That is why I am apologising. That doesn't prevent me however, from making known my thoughts but in a more rational less agressive manner.

This is a very friendly forum most of the time and thats because we all use Pentax cameras and want to get the best out of them.

Sure, people gripe about things, who doesn't? We all have our differences, politics, philosophies, religion, photographic styles but Pentax binds us all together. we have disagreements and some members don't talk to each other.

You just seem to be the bad apple in the barrel, I'm not the only one who is annoyed by you. Some choose to ignore you, some don't, I am in the latter group. It is also bad etiquette IMO to persistently promote your blog in the text of your posts instead of confining the link to your signature.

If you take the Pentax badge away, you're left with cameras and lenses and together with photographers, they take photographs. That's really what this forum is about, Photography and Photographers and Photographs.
I just don't get the impression that you participate in this Forum for the same reason as everyone else. Why do you participate when people are sometimes so rude to you? Myself included I'm sorry to say.

Why don't you participate in the photo posting or competitions or lens or film camera discussions?

Once again I apologise foe the harshness of my words in earlier posts.
10-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Rice High, I would like to apologise. I was overly harsh with you. There is so much crap going on in the world...

Does being a Raider fan have anything to do with it???

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'm kidding.
10-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While you mention in your blog that you weren't too happy with the results, I think you got some very good shots. My daughter rows on a crew team and I have been taking photos of their races for years and the Dragon Boat races look very similar. One of the auto focus problems I have had with telephotos is that the AF wants to readjust constantly. These boats are very long (over 50ft) and it isn't easy to get the whole boat in focus and at certain angles its impossible. Other parents using Nikons and Canons have had the same problems as we are always hanging out on the shore and comparing shots. Rather than being slow, I think that AF sometimes is too quick and sensitive and it wants to readjust on each rower and I don't use the AF-C setting.
10-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pal, I accept your sincere apology. :)

I hope that we can continue to chat in a friendly or at least respectful way although I am sure that your opinions and mines could be rather different.

After all, I am just a super Pentax fanboy who just want the best Pentax DSLR body and system all the time, nothing else. I agree that you're absolutely right that its just the brand we are here, so I actually see no point of personal attacks which happened from time to time even different people have different requirements or expectations or even aspirations :-)

See you, friend.

Rice High, I would like to apologise. I was overly harsh with you. There is so much crap going on in the world your type of negativity just pushes me over the edge sometimes but that is no excuse for my words and the way I used them. That is why I am apologising. That doesn't prevent me however, from making known my thoughts but in a more rational less agressive manner.

This is a very friendly forum most of the time and thats because we all use Pentax cameras and want to get the best out of them.

Sure, people gripe about things, who doesn't? We all have our differences, politics, philosophies, religion, photographic styles but Pentax binds us all together. we have disagreements and some members don't talk to each other.

You just seem to be the bad apple in the barrel, I'm not the only one who is annoyed by you. Some choose to ignore you, some don't, I am in the latter group. It is also bad etiquette IMO to persistently promote your blog in the text of your posts instead of confining the link to your signature.

If you take the Pentax badge away, you're left with cameras and lenses and together with photographers, they take photographs. That's really what this forum is about, Photography and Photographers and Photographs.
I just don't get the impression that you participate in this Forum for the same reason as everyone else. Why do you participate when people are sometimes so rude to you? Myself included I'm sorry to say.

Why don't you participate in the photo posting or competitions or lens or film camera discussions?

10-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx and some techniques to share..

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
While you mention in your blog that you weren't too happy with the results, I think you got some very good shots. My daughter rows on a crew team and I have been taking photos of their races for years and the Dragon Boat races look very similar. One of the auto focus problems I have had with telephotos is that the AF wants to readjust constantly. These boats are very long (over 50ft) and it isn't easy to get the whole boat in focus and at certain angles its impossible. Other parents using Nikons and Canons have had the same problems as we are always hanging out on the shore and comparing shots. Rather than being slow, I think that AF sometimes is too quick and sensitive and it wants to readjust on each rower and I don't use the AF-C setting.
Thanks for your favourable comments.

As for the AF and focusing difficulties for those rowing boats (actually the dragon boat is fast moving but somehow at a constant speed after accelerated, we need to know the "temper" of each camera to get it to do the job. My techniques used is to do Single AF in specific intervals and I know where I instructed the camera to start focus and when it would probably arrive and then I could possibly press the shutter (if it succeeded and let me release the shutter). Also, focusing on a static part of the object (i.e. on the boat but not on the moving hands) would help.

Nonetheless, with all kinds of limitations above for a slowly responding AF system, the shooting frequency is actually (much) lowered and the real problem is compositions of the pictures are not precise as intended (and I am not too concentrated soley in the composition neither).
10-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I suspect this was damn hard to do, or maybe not, but it was still nice of you to do it. RH's crap is sometimes funny, but it is also tiresome. Like you, I also read the blog first, and I agree with what you said.
10-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

i'm just glad RH is out taking pictures.
10-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #30
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
Does being a Raider fan have anything to do with it???

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'm kidding.

No way, no how. I don't suppose you know of any cities looking for a football team?