Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
photoshop online for free....

adobe plans to put a watered down version of photoshop to use online for free.... to compete against google's Picaza

Adobe to take Photoshop online - USATODAY.com

just thought it is an interesting read...

cheers

randy

03-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i have always considered adobe products to be over priced bloatware..

they survive because they are an industry standard.. anything that wakes em up a bit cant be bad..

i dont use any adobe stuff even their free acrobat reader..

trog
03-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting read, Slip. I agree somewhat with Trog, but I do use PSE5 (after having PSE3). It is bloated, but I get good results with it and given that it's nearly the industry standard, there's lots of help out there for using it. As for the other Adobe products, I bought Premiere Elements 1.0 but rarely used it and went back to Movie Maker 2. And I can't stand Acrobat reader. I use some of the free PDF readers and creators available. FoxIt Reader uses about 1MB of memory and does everything Acrobat Reader does, except check interminably for updates everytime I load it up. PrimoPDF makes excellent PDFs and it's totally free, no watermarks or anything.

Anyway, back on track...I think it's a good thing that Adobe is trying new things. I like Lightroom, and would buy it if it had a way to clone out dust spots.
03-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
i have always considered adobe products to be over priced bloatware..

they survive because they are an industry standard.. anything that wakes em up a bit cant be bad..
I have earned a living working with Photoshop. I don't know what exactly would you replace it with, which would be leaner and better, but it definitely is worth it's price, if you actually use it as a professional tool, not just a toy for weekend photo-retouching. There used to be Corel Photopaint but it ceased to be a noteworthy competitor long time ago.

03-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

LOL - Adobe is trying to get general consumers like me off the Picasa bandwagon to jump into their ship. Is it because Adobe sees Picasa as a threat? I wonder if Adobe will place any advertising pop-ups related to their products.
03-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

yes a pro is forced into industry standard stuff in some ways..

but joe soap consumer is where the real product money lies.. me i am just joe soap consumer..

and russ.. we both use foxit reader.. he he

trog

ps.. and Vista wont come anywhere near my PC either for at least three years.. he he
03-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm intrigued by the announcement. But at the moment, I don't quite understand how this is a response to Picasa.

Picasa itself is a desktop app strictly for managing and tweaking photos. Adobe has now THREE desktop apps for photographers: Photoshop Elements; Photoshop Lightroom; and, um, Photoshop. They are all very good, and they're all more powerful editors than Picasa. But Picasa has two rather significant advantages over any of the Adobe products: (1) it's actually easy to use, which means that it's very good for its intended market; and (2) it's completely and totally free. It doesn't even have advertising.

Picasa Web Albums doesn't let you edit your files at all.

So I'm assuming that Adobe's going to launch an online photo-sharing service, and that the service will provide some basic photo-editing tools borrowed from the Photoshop line of products. Will have to see what they come up with, though.

Will

03-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Does Picasa do HDR? There's Paint.net, another photoshop-like program for free. :P
03-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Does Picasa do HDR? There's Paint.net, another photoshop-like program for free. :P
Picasa does NOT do HDR and it is by no means a "photoshop-like program." I have a feeling that, when Google's programmers got together to create Picasa, making it NOT LIKE PHotoshop was one of their primary goals.

Photoshop is a 747. Picasa is an ultra-lite. This is not a knock against Picasa.

Will
03-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

dang cuz I have CS but have been wanting to try HDR for a while now but I don't have like two-three hundred dollars to get CS2.
03-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

dang cuz I have CS but have been wanting to try HDR for a while now but I don't have like two-three hundred dollars to get CS2.
There are a number of programs whose main (or only) job is to do HDR. Someone else recommended Artizen HDR to me a while back. I downloaded a free trial version and I assume you could do the same.

Search for HDR in wikipedia.org for more links. Flickr has an HDR users group, too, if I recall correctly.

Will
03-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
LOL - Adobe is trying to get general consumers like me off the Picasa bandwagon to jump into their ship. Is it because Adobe sees Picasa as a threat? I wonder if Adobe will place any advertising pop-ups related to their products.
I think every software maker sees Google as a threat....
I can't see Google becoming another Microsoft as Google software is free and Microsoft isn't.

I don't see adobe as "bloatware" as when you do other creative things besides touching up photos, it just can't be beat

cheers

randy
03-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Fred Miranda has a HDR plugin that works with PS6 and later. I have it and I have used it a few times. I'm still not sure I like the look of HDR images, so I can't comment on whether it's better than whats built into CS2 or not.

FM Software
03-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The Gimp ?

Maybe it's just wishfull thinking on my part (I'm a great opensource software user/fan/advocate), but don't you think The Gimp may also be part of the motivation behind this ? I mean, it's completely free, and it does 95% of what Photoshop does...
03-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Is photoshop more bloated than say Paintshop Pro? I really like Photoshop's layer functionality and actions. Are there similar abilities with other programs? ACR is pretty cool too.

PS offers a functionality that Picassa and a lot of others can't match. Whether this functionality is used or desired by the average comsumer is another matter. The big money is in the lower end consumer and for that there is elements. Perhaps Adobe sees a free version as an option for moving people into their higher end products.