Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
backlighting

Thank you all for the wonderful advice, one thing is what is CHIMP. I'm not real astute with the K5 but am learning. thanks again

06-20-2019, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LOL, I wondered if everyone knew what that was.
Chimping is when you make a shot and immediately go to the play button to see what you shot. Some people find that to be..... unprofessional (?)
Don't be in the habit if you intend to impress others around you
06-20-2019, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Chimping - Wikipedia

ooh. ooh, ooh
06-21-2019, 05:27 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Don't be in the habit if you intend to impress others around you
Thankfully, I'm not burdened by a desire to impress because I chimp often. Before chimping (film) one had to take notes of at least aperture, shutter speed and lens to critically analyze shots taken.

06-21-2019, 06:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Thankfully, I'm not burdened by a desire to impress because I chimp often. Before chimping (film) one had to take notes of at least aperture, shutter speed and lens to critically analyze shots taken.
I used to do that. Made notes of the exposure and wrote it on the back when I got them developed
06-21-2019, 08:40 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My usual backlight technique is to do it wrong and then complain. Is that okay?
06-24-2019, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
backlighting

I love you guys or rather ya'll, being from the south and all. CHIMPING wow! All this technical talk is driving me crazy.

06-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
I love you guys or rather ya'll, being from the south and all. CHIMPING wow! All this technical talk is driving me crazy.
That's nothing. I've been a member here for years and still can't get all the acronyms used here. hang on, it gets worse.
06-25-2019, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also worth noting...it's a digital camera...take a shot, adjust, take another, adjust...you could literally set an aperture in manual with a fixed ASA and start turning down the shutter speed 1 or 1/2 stop at a time....not something you would do with film but with digital all you're using up is time.

07-02-2019, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just read an article on verbing, the act of taking a noun such as chimp and turning it into a verb.
They have been around forever but gaining recently. It rains rain, I bike on my bike. I butter my bread.
But in the electronic age I brick my camera. We are stuck with verbing and couldn't Houdini are way out now.
Do You Even Language, Bro? Understanding Why Nouns Become Verbs | JSTOR Daily
07-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great article!
07-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #27
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
My trusty canon AE-1 had a backlight button that did exactly that. It's my starting point too with digital.
funny, I used one of those exclusively between 1979 and 1997, and never knew there was a "backlight" button. The Pentax cameras I've got now must be like my brain - I'm only using ten percent of the functionality available.
07-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Just read an article on verbing, the act of taking a noun such as chimp and turning it into a verb.
They have been around forever but gaining recently. It rains rain, I bike on my bike. I butter my bread.
But in the electronic age I brick my camera. We are stuck with verbing and couldn't Houdini are way out now.
Are you "critique-ing" that previous statement?
07-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote

That deserves a "like" (nouned a verb)!
07-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dipo 1 here again, in the old days with my Spotmaticl SLR if I wanted to take a picture that was backlit I would turn 180 from the scene, take a reading, then turn back and take the picture. Now I have a Pentax K5 I don't have a clue how to take a backlit picture, anyone out there who can tell me how.
Put the camera in manual mode, Turn 180 degrees and press the green button, that sets the exposure.

The turn and shoot.

Or conversely, use the AE lock when turned 180 degrees in what ever mode you are shooting in, and then turn back and shoot

Either method will work.

What I used to do is set the exposure on a grey path, or a tree trunk, basically you are using the road or tree trunk as a 18% grey card, and then making an incident light metering measurement