Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To full or not to full (frame) - that is the question

By end of year I will have a nice amount of gift card $ to spend. I told a close friend the plan was to buy a KP body. He (a Nikon guy) said "Get the K-1, it's full frame, full frame is better". Note that this guy has a FF Nikon and 3 FF lenses. I have 2 APS-C bodies (K-r and K-30) and 14 (yes, I have LBA) APS-C lenses.

Since I'd have to use my lenses in crop mode with the K-1 (plus spend 2x as much) I see no advantage to this plan. The KP has everything I want, other than being full frame. The specs are almost identical. And I really do not want to sell my APS-C lenses and start over.

What am I missing? I am at best a casual photographer.

06-15-2019, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
and 14 (yes, I have LBA) APS-C lenses.
How many of these are FF capable?
06-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure none are. No FA lenses at all.
06-15-2019, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

why would you want to move to FF? what is APS-C not giving you?

those are the questions I'd be asking...

06-15-2019, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any of these ?( Some DA are capable) FF lenses for the K-1 that can be bought new - PentaxForums.com
or DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com
06-15-2019, 05:03 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He (a Nikon guy) said "Get the K-1, it's full frame, full frame is better".
Great question. Did your friend comment on how he defines "better" or how his photography is "better" with a full frame camera? His objectives and yours might be quite different.

A couple of current threads are related to this type of question:

Fullframe camera is for whom? - PentaxForums.com

K-1 size and weight question - PentaxForums.com

And an earlier thread explored users' perspectives of full frame vs APS-C:

are you happy with switching to FF? - PentaxForums.com

Many folks here on PF seem to be happy with the KP.

- Craig
06-15-2019, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't really feel the need to, I am happy with what I have been using, but I have no idea what I am missing out on (if anything). If I had no lenses at all and I was starting from scratch *maybe* I'd be thinking differently.

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 06-15-2019 at 05:12 PM. Reason: pasted in wrong spot
06-15-2019, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #8

Even if you get k1 you still can crop mode and you can still able to use your not full frame lenses, in the future if you buy full frame lenses you can use it too, so you can get second option for using full frame lenses otherwise if you get crop sensor you will able to use just not full frame lenses.
06-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Great question. Did your friend comment on how he defines "better" or how his photography is "better" with a full frame camera? His objectives and yours might be quite different.

A couple of current threads are related to this type of question:

Fullframe camera is for whom? - PentaxForums.com

K-1 size and weight question - PentaxForums.com

And an earlier thread explored users' perspectives of full frame vs APS-C:

are you happy with switching to FF? - PentaxForums.com

Many folks here on PF seem to be happy with the KP.

- Craig
Good point. His photo equipment (and his experience) is very high end. I'm sure that if he and I compared photos side by side he'd "win" (whatever winning means in this context) but my photos make me smile and I think there is something to be said for being happy with one's photography equipment.

---------- Post added 06-15-19 at 19:11 ----------

DA 15mm F4.0
DA 21mm F3.2 Limited
DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF]
DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED
06-15-2019, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #10
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
To full or not to full (frame) - that is the question
Hi madison_wi_gal, what are your preferred subjects to photograph? Landscape? Portraits? Aps-c suits me best because my favourite subjects are in the
" macro " world. What about you.
06-15-2019, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi madison_wi_gal, what are your preferred subjects to photograph? Landscape? Portraits? Aps-c suits me best because my favourite subjects are in the
" macro " world. What about you.
Nature. Birds, flowers, horses, etc.
06-15-2019, 05:20 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

With respect to your close friend, "Full frame is better" only applies for certain use cases. In others, "APS-C is better" would be more accurate. There are compromises with all formats, as well as relatively narrow areas in which each excels.

There's lots of information on the web extolling and comparing the virtues of different formats for different purposes, so I won't repeat here. What I will say is, if you don't feel like you're missing out on something, there's no reason to change. All of the Pentax cameras I shoot are APS-C format, with a mix of APS-C and full-frame-capable lenses. I also shoot full-frame Sony for certain use cases. For general photography, I'm far more likely to pick up my APS-C Pentax gear, as the image quality is great and I appreciate the slightly more compact size and lower weight.

There are situations where full frame can be better, but it comes with trade-offs. So if APS-C already offers what you need, stick with it
06-15-2019, 05:24 PM - 4 Likes   #13
Closed Account

Nature. Birds, flowers, horses, etc.
I can't speak for the FF shooters, but for me, your preferred subjects are very well suited to aps-c.................and there is a VERY nice nest egg growing to buy more lenses instead of a new camera body/format. ...................................Just sayin' .........................
06-15-2019, 05:26 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
With respect to your close friend, "Full frame is better" only applies for certain use cases. In others, "APS-C is better" would be more accurate. There are compromises with all formats, as well as relatively narrow areas in which each excels.

There's lots of information on the web extolling and comparing the virtues of different formats for different purposes, so I won't repeat here. What I will say is, if you don't feel like you're missing out on something, there's no reason to change. All of the Pentax cameras I shoot are APS-C format, with a mix of APS-C and full-frame-capable lenses. I also shoot full-frame Sony for certain use cases. For general photography, I'm far more likely to pick up my APS-C Pentax gear, as the image quality is great and I appreciate the slightly more compact size and lower weight.

There are situations where full frame can be better, but it comes with trade-offs. So if APS-C already offers what you need, stick with it
THANKS! I really liked the look and feel of the KP, I just wondered if he was onto something because of his greater experience.

---------- Post added 06-15-19 at 19:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
I can't speak for the FF shooters, but for me, your preferred subjects are very well suited to aps-c.................and there is a VERY nice nest egg growing to buy more lenses instead of a new camera body/format. ...................................Just sayin' .........................

Oh good grief I have enough LBA
06-15-2019, 05:31 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't really feel the need to, I am happy with what I have been using, but I have no idea what I am missing out on (if anything). If I had no lenses at all and I was starting from scratch *maybe* I'd be thinking differently.

---------- Post added 06-15-19 at 19:06 ----------

DA 15mm F4.0
DA 21mm F3.2 Limited
DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF]
DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED
Similarly, I was using a K-50 and K-30 with several lenses, I bought the KP and don't feel I'm missing anything by not having FF. The KP does what I want it to and I haven't tapped all of its potential. I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to have a K-1 II, but I would need several new lenses to get to the level of APS-C kit I have, which is not extensive but it is adequate for my needs. I'm happy with the KP and K-50 (sold the K-30 after getting the KP). Here's the best advice I can give: Get what YOU want, do your own research (which you are doing), then do what is right for you.