Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2019, 06:04 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In your case, I'd say stick with APS-c. For one thing, the K-P is pretty close to the K-1 in noise, because of the accelerator chip. Most of the time I can't tell the difference between APS-c images and my FF images unless I look at the exif.

The biggest disadvantage I see for you is your lack of FF lenses.
I actually started collecting FF lenses long before the K-1 was available, so I had a good stable fo FF lenses when I bought the K-1.

Lenses I've bought specifically for the K-1 (because all those older lenses came with their own set of issues)
DFA 28-105, DFA 100 macro, DA*55 1.4, and Tamron AF ED 300 2.8.

That's a lot more money than what you're paying for your camera. And I really didn't like the camera all that much before I bought the DFA 28-105 which in my mind is the cheapest zoom that let's you explore all the K-1s capabilities, the way I shoot.

On the other hand, for birds, wildlife, macro, etc. I'm still using a K-3 for most images. Image wise, the K-P is better than what I'm using and I still find it advantageous. Part of my logic for getting the K-1 was Pixels shift and the flippy back screens and GPS. Two of those things are covered by the K-P and if you want GPS, you can add it on.

I have prints up to 30x20 taken with the K-1 and K-3. They are all good. No loss of quality unless you go really really big, and no one seems to know how big you have to go to make a difference.

So if it were me, I'd go with the K-P.

But I have no doubt either will make you happy.

Last edited by normhead; 06-15-2019 at 06:10 PM.
06-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, so perhaps a better question is this: How loud is the mirror in the K-P vs. K-1? My beloved K-r (and almost equally beloved K-30) both sound like cinder blocks hitting a driveway. I tried a K-01 assuming that the lack of a mirror would quiet the camera down (it did, a bit, but I could not wrap my brain around the no viewfinder thing so I sold it). Normally I don't mind a loud-ish camera but the hummingbird I was trying to get a picture of (from 20 feet away) got startled and flew off almost every time.
06-15-2019, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Ok, so perhaps a better question is this: How loud is the mirror in the K-P vs. K-1? My beloved K-r (and almost equally beloved K-30) both sound like cinder blocks hitting a driveway. I tried a K-01 assuming that the lack of a mirror would quiet the camera down (it did, a bit, but I could not wrap my brain around the no viewfinder thing so I sold it). Normally I don't mind a loud-ish camera but the hummingbird I was trying to get a picture of (from 20 feet away) got startled and flew off almost every time.
The KP mirror is pretty quiet -- probably similar to what the K-1 is. I think you should probably go with the KP. I think it fits your style of photography better and while you could shoot your lenses in crop mode on a K-1, you'd be spending more money to do so. If down the road you pick up some DFA or FA lenses and get a hankering for a full frame camera, you can always pick up a used K-1, but I bet you'll be pretty satisfied with a KP.
06-15-2019, 06:31 PM - 6 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The KP mirror is pretty quiet -- probably similar to what the K-1 is. I think you should probably go with the KP. I think it fits your style of photography better and while you could shoot your lenses in crop mode on a K-1, you'd be spending more money to do so. If down the road you pick up some DFA or FA lenses and get a hankering for a full frame camera, you can always pick up a used K-1, but I bet you'll be pretty satisfied with a KP.
I'm convinced. KP it is! A nice silver one.

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 06-15-2019 at 09:37 PM.
06-15-2019, 06:34 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have K-1 and KP Both have comparatively quiet shutters. KP is probably a little quieter. Many of my screwdrive lenses are noisier than either shutter.
06-15-2019, 06:34 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

I'm convinced. K-P it is! A nice silver one.
That would be my choice exactly. I'm tired of picking up the wrong camera, way too many black cameras around my house.
06-15-2019, 06:37 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
With some change left over for a lovely new lens too....................................maybe ??

Excellent decision on the KP. Post some pix when you get the new " toy."

06-15-2019, 06:37 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That would be my choice exactly. I'm tired of picking up the wrong camera, way too many black cameras around my house.
My K-r is red and the K-30 is blue. Probably the other reason I sold the K-01 is that I was unable to get a used yellow one. Last black camera I had was my ME Super.
06-15-2019, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #24
hcc
Pentaxian

By end of year I will have a nice amount of gift card $ to spend. I told a close friend the plan was to buy a KP body. He (a Nikon guy) said "Get the K-1, it's full frame, full frame is better". Note that this guy has a FF Nikon and 3 FF lenses. I have 2 APS-C bodies (K-r and K-30) and 14 (yes, I have LBA) APS-C lenses.

Since I'd have to use my lenses in crop mode with the K-1 (plus spend 2x as much) I see no advantage to this plan. The KP has everything I want, other than being full frame. The specs are almost identical. And I really do not want to sell my APS-C lenses and start over.

What am I missing? I am at best a casual photographer.
You already received great feedback IMHO.

I would ask a different question. Do you need a FF body, or are you craving for FF lenses? I note that you do not have any of the three amigos (FA Ltd).

From where I sit, I am happy with an APS-C body. I have K-7, K-01 and K-3. The K-3 does almost all what I want, although I might consider a new body in 2-3 years possibly. But ... I love my FF lenses and I would not come back from high-quality FF lenses, like the Pentax FA Ltd's (I love my FA77mm), the Voigtlander 's (the Nokton 58 mm is a super lens) and even the Zeiss's.

I wonder if what you need is a good FF lens !!!

Many Pentaxians wrote here that a good lens is worth every penny. How true!

My 5 cents.
06-15-2019, 07:55 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

I am an old full-frame shooter too- like you with 35mm film! And my first Pentax SLR was also the ME Super, but it was silver/black and much like the KP in its compact design concept. Since going into DSLR use, I have had numerous Pentax bodies, most now abandoned. I still do often shoot with my nice little K-S2 (replacement for my K-r, which I gave to friends in perfect shape), and often with my beloved K-5 IIs as well as sometimes my K-5.

However, about 1-1/2 years ago I added the KP- a beautiful silver one. I've liked it so much I eventually bought a second body- another silver one! The KP is now my most often used body. It is great with the DA 20-40mm Limited or any of the Limited primes. I often combine that zoom lens with the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, which I've had for 10 years, as a very high quality WR combo. To complement this, I usually have the DA15mm Limited in the front accessory pouch of my camera holster case, it is so small. If I need f/2.8 all the way through, instead of the DA 20-40mm, I take my fine Sigma 17-50mm EX DC. For me, this beats having a much larger and much heavier FF kit with 24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses, along with an extra WA FF prime, in terms of far easier portability. The cost is far less also.

I am so satisfied with what I have, the main reason I would ever consider getting a FF DSLR (Pentax, of course) is to make use of some excellent FF lenses I have from the film era, to be used with digital in the format they were originally designed for. These are of shorter focal length, which is all I would want with a FF body anyway. But this may never happen.

I strongly suspect you will love your new KP!

P.S. if you like getting your images right out of the camera, the KP is exceptionally good at this. Just be sure to implement 'Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, at least in the "Bright" category, which is the default setting for most uses.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-15-2019 at 08:04 PM.
06-15-2019, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

By end of year I will have a nice amount of gift card $ to spend. I told a close friend the plan was to buy a KP body. He (a Nikon guy) said "Get the K-1, it's full frame, full frame is better". Note that this guy has a FF Nikon and 3 FF lenses. I have 2 APS-C bodies (K-r and K-30) and 14 (yes, I have LBA) APS-C lenses.

Since I'd have to use my lenses in crop mode with the K-1 (plus spend 2x as much) I see no advantage to this plan. The KP has everything I want, other than being full frame. The specs are almost identical. And I really do not want to sell my APS-C lenses and start over.

What am I missing? I am at best a casual photographer.
The K1 returns better images than an APS-C camera providing lens quality is consistent between the two formats.
Having said that, the position you are in with APS-C is pretty enviable, and as you are saying you don’t want to do a sell off and start with a new format, you have answered your own question.
For myself, having used Pentax cameras up to the K3, and I’ve owned all the DA primes as well as the 60-250 zoom, I would sell it all in a minute to get a K1 and D FA* 50/1.4.
It really is that much better.
06-15-2019, 08:06 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

I love the KP- I have two silver ones. Vote: KP
06-15-2019, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
You already received great feedback IMHO.

I would ask a different question. Do you need a FF body, or are you craving for FF lenses? I note that you do not have any of the three amigos (FA Ltd).
I'm not sure I *need* or *crave* either. I started out with my K-r/18-55 DAL kit (the K-30 got added on a whim) and have added lenses slowly, ones I could afford (all but the 55-300 were bought used). The ones I added happened to be non-FA, it just turned out that way. I have a lot of overlap already, so getting the 3 amigos would make the overlap worse. (My primes are 15 ltd, 21 ltd, 50 and the Tam 90 272e). My friend absolutely adores his FF Nikon and I think was being enthusiastic about the K-1 for me, but I do think that the KP is the best bang for the buck considering what I use cameras for (e.g. fun).
06-15-2019, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't really feel the need to, I am happy with what I have been using, but I have no idea what I am missing out on (if anything). If I had no lenses at all and I was starting from scratch *maybe* I'd be thinking differently.
Because you described yourself as a casual photographer at best, I’ll venture a guess and say you do not need a full frame camera. You don’t mentioning needing to make larger prints, which would be a primary reason to upgrade to full frame.
06-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Because you described yourself as a casual photographer at best, I’ll venture a guess and say you do not need a full frame camera. You don’t mentioning needing to make larger prints, which would be a primary reason to upgrade to full frame.
Nope, I doubt I'll ever need to make larger (or any) prints. I post a few of my favorites on a 40" HDTV at work, but they all look fine already.