Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2019, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
I rarely do burst, and I like the idea of low light advantage.
If you don't shoot burst, the K-P is a more technically advanced camera.
But i doubt it will have the longevity of my K-3.

But if you only shoot a thousand or so images year, it should last forever.
After all you K-30 only has 1,600 images on it.

I've shot that much in an afternoon.

06-16-2019, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

The KP has that Articulating Screen, that is a major plus in my view
06-16-2019, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
The KP has that Articulating Screen, that is a major plus in my view
I bought the K-1 for the articulating screen... I don't believe the K-P was a choice at the time.
At the time I bought my K-1 I wanted, pixel shift, the GPS and the articulating screen.
The K-P has two of the three, and you can buy the GPS add on if it's important.
Now, I'd like a camera with the accelerator chip and at least the 7fps of the K-P and a 50 shot buffer. The K-3 still works for me, but I've stopped shooting small flower macros with it, because of the terribly inconvenient lack of the flippy back screen. Once you get use to having it, not having it is insufferable.

You cannot shoot small wildflowers without a tilting back screen after a rain, and come home without mud every where on your clothes, not to mention holes in the knees of my pants from lying and kneeling on rock and sand.

It sounds minor, really, it's not.

The great thing about the K-P is, it does most of what the K-1 does, and most of what the K-3 does, a great single camera option.

I chose to go with two bodies. You can never have too many options.

Last edited by normhead; 06-16-2019 at 09:25 AM.
06-16-2019, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You cannot shoot small wildflowers without a tilting back screen after a rain, and come home without mud every where on your clothes, not to mention holes in the knees of my pants from lying and kneeling on rock and sand.

It sounds minor, really, it's not.
IDK, this just sounds like the norm of macro shooting in the field. Half the fun is getting down and dirty with mother nature.

06-16-2019, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
IDK, this just sounds like the norm of macro shooting in the field. Half the fun is getting down and dirty with mother nature.
But, when your seventy, when your down, your down, until somebody comes along to help you up.
Even with the tilt screen, I take a small folding stool.
06-16-2019, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

But, when your seventy, when your down, your down, until somebody comes along to help you up.
I hate doing laundry. Why would you get down and dirty when you don't have to?

If want to get dirty I'll rub some dirt on my shirt or pants.
06-16-2019, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

yes, the older you get, the harder it gets. I'm 55 and my bones are starting to creak also.

---------- Post added 06-16-19 at 09:33 AM ----------

If want to get dirty I'll rub some dirt on my shirt or pants.

LOL! I been shooting in the dirt since I was a kid. (Way back in the film days). I just get up and down much slower these days. It's something that just seems the norm to me. My wife handles the laundry, so I'm good there.

06-16-2019, 09:38 AM - 3 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
yes, the older you get, the harder it gets. I'm 55 and my bones are starting to creak also.

---------- Post added 06-16-19 at 09:33 AM ----------

LOL! I been shooting in the dirt since I was a kid. (Way back in the film days). I just get up and down much slower these days. It's something that just seems the norm to me. My wife handles the laundry, so I'm good there.
Ya, I'm also 70, and I have an artificial hip. Getting up an down can be serious. Getting your snowshoe hooked on a root under the snow can cause a week of pain. I have a right angle viewfinder thingy... the flippy screen is better.

The wife laundry thing is touchy at the moment. Last night going to sleep, Tess said "Have you ever done laundry in your whole life.?" I might have to do a load or two.

In my defence, I never lived with dogs before her. 4 dogs in the house ridiculously increases your need to do laundry.

Last edited by normhead; 06-16-2019 at 10:10 AM.
06-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
At the time I bought my K-1 I wanted, pixel shift, the GPS and the articulating screen.
The K-P has two of the three, and you can buy the GPS add on if it's important.
The GPS is the least important - in fact, I'd probably turn it off. I'm not ultra paranoid but I have no reason to have satellites know where I am.

---------- Post added 06-16-19 at 11:57 ----------

I just finished doing about 8 loads (saved up for a couple of weeks). I don't hate doing it but I tend to put it off.

---------- Post added 06-16-19 at 12:09 ----------

Looking at K-3 ii (and K-1) specs. This might sound dumb but another KP selling point for me is the D-LI109 battery - same as K-r and K-30. I have several batteries and several chargers, so I'll never run out of juice on a day long shoot. The (sold) K-01 had the D-LI90 and since I only had the one, it would have been an additional expense to have spare(s).
06-16-2019, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

The GPS is the least important - in fact, I'd probably turn it off. I'm not ultra paranoid but I have no reason to have satellites know where I am.

---------- Post added 06-16-19 at 11:57 ----------

I just finished doing about 8 loads (saved up for a couple of weeks). I don't hate doing it but I tend to put it off.

---------- Post added 06-16-19 at 12:09 ----------

Looking at K-3 ii (and K-1) specs. This might sound dumb but another KP selling point for me is the D-LI109 battery - same as K-r and K-30. I have several batteries and several chargers, so I'll never run out of juice on a day long shoot. The (sold) K-01 had the D-LI90 and since I only had the one, it would have been an additional expense to have spare(s).
In my family we do long trips, one planned this summer more than 2 weeks, away from power or phone service. Our cameras, K-5, K-3 and K-1 all use the same battery. That is a huge plus. I ws thinking K-P to replace the wife's K-5, it was the battery thing that killed it. You have the opposite deal going. Another plus for the K-P.
06-16-2019, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #56

Photos: Gallery
imho, buying the K1mkii was THE best camera purchase I have ever made. Going from K3 to K1mkii it felt like the images had so much more depth and color to them. hard to say exactly what it was. They just felt magical somehow. Unless it's the size of the camera, I would take the step up. It also means you can invest in FF lenses. That said, surprisingly a lot of APSC lenses are FF capable whether they state it or not.
06-16-2019, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

I rarely do burst, and I like the idea of low light advantage.
The KP does high ISO very well
Iso 25600! - PentaxForums.com
Iso 204800 - PentaxForums.com

Most of the time, when I'm photographing animals I limit ISO to 12800, but even that makes TAv mode much more useful - I can select both the shutter speed I want and the aperture I want, and typically be well below my ISO limit..
06-16-2019, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

One advantage of the KP seldom brought up is a bump in AF speed and accuracy compared to the K-1 or K3II. It's pretty awesome having good AFC. Plus the KP with the accelerator chip offers almost K-1 level performance for a much lower price and size, it's really one of the best APSC cameras in existence and only battery life and buffer size actually hold it back.
06-16-2019, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

The K-30 was my primary camera for 42 months; during that time I took 4013 photos - about 96 per month.
The KP has been my primary camera for 7 months now; during that time I've taken 895 photos - about 128 per month.
I seldom use burst mode, and when I do, I've not yet filled the KP's buffer.

Incidentally, the KP feels like it has much better build-quality than the K-30 does;
Pentax has said that it has a different aperture control than used by the K-30 .... I'm guessing it has same aperture control as K-3.
06-16-2019, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
One advantage of the KP seldom brought up is a bump in AF speed and accuracy compared to the K-1 or K3II. It's pretty awesome having good AFC. Plus the KP with the accelerator chip offers almost K-1 level performance for a much lower price and size, it's really one of the best APSC cameras in existence and only battery life and buffer size actually hold it back.
Yes, recently I've been using my DA 55-300mm PLM + DA 1.4X TC as a single unit. My KP successfully focuses in shade as well as sun, smoothly and reasonably quickly.