Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2019, 01:44 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I sold my K-5 for $100. If I'd kept it I'd have two back up bodies. I just didn't want it taking up cupboard space. It wouldn't be as difficult as you might think.
Normhead, pro photographers don't like to use 3 different cameras for several reasons:
- they need the same image quality and there would be a big difference in image quality between a K5 and a K1
- they need the same placement of the buttons in order to operate the cameras fast, especially if they are shooting with primes
- a 15-30mm lens for example will give you a different field of view on a K5 than on a K1
- the af performance between a K5 and a K1 is quite big and when you have to shoot a wedding you don't have the time to adjust your shooting style

Even in Pentax land, shooting a wedding with K3 and K1 will give you different quality in the files, especially for the indoor low lights images (K3 is not as great when comes to high ISO, the mettering is different on K3 than the one from K1 and it will take some time to match the files in Lightroom or in other programs, etc.).

We all have different needs, a different approach when comes to gear and how to develop our business, but personally when comes to shoot for clients I don't like to use unsuited gear. I rather rent a second body like the one I use until I make enough money to buy one as a second camera instead of going with 3 different cameras and slow/cheap/old lenses. For pleasure I shoot with f4 zooms or with f1.8 primes. For paid shootings I shoot with f1.2/f1.4 primes. Clients won't see the difference between a f1.8 prime and a f1.4 prime after the images are edited, but as long as I have a lot better overall performance using the f1.4 lenses and the editing time is reduced big time, it's worth the money and the investment.

Saving money by buying unsuited gear may be an option to maximize profit, but there are lots of trades off also, even if only few will recognise it.

06-30-2019, 07:30 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Normhead, pro photographers don't like to use 3 different cameras for several reasons:
- they need the same image quality and there would be a big difference in image quality between a K5 and a K1
- they need the same placement of the buttons in order to operate the cameras fast, especially if they are shooting with primes
- a 15-30mm lens for example will give you a different field of view on a K5 than on a K1
- the af performance between a K5 and a K1 is quite big and when you have to shoot a wedding you don't have the time to adjust your shooting style

Even in Pentax land, shooting a wedding with K3 and K1 will give you different quality in the files, especially for the indoor low lights images (K3 is not as great when comes to high ISO, the mettering is different on K3 than the one from K1 and it will take some time to match the files in Lightroom or in other programs, etc.).

We all have different needs, a different approach when comes to gear and how to develop our business, but personally when comes to shoot for clients I don't like to use unsuited gear. I rather rent a second body like the one I use until I make enough money to buy one as a second camera instead of going with 3 different cameras and slow/cheap/old lenses. For pleasure I shoot with f4 zooms or with f1.8 primes. For paid shootings I shoot with f1.2/f1.4 primes. Clients won't see the difference between a f1.8 prime and a f1.4 prime after the images are edited, but as long as I have a lot better overall performance using the f1.4 lenses and the editing time is reduced big time, it's worth the money and the investment.

Saving money by buying unsuited gear may be an option to maximize profit, but there are lots of trades off also, even if only few will recognise it.
You have lots of platitudes and precious little useful info in there.
I'm not sure how repeating the obvious helps you make your case.
People can be faced with the same situations as yours and take a completely different course. You're not smarter than them. You don't realize things they don't. They just see those things in a different context.

What works for you as a professional doing whatever it is you do, is only relevant to you.

Last edited by normhead; 06-30-2019 at 07:38 AM.
06-30-2019, 01:18 PM   #63
Pentaxian

People can be faced with the same situations as yours and take a completely different course. You're not smarter than them. You don't realize things they don't. They just see those things in a different context.
Yes, that's why everyone's opinion is important and we extract from each comment what we think is relevant to us.

---------- Post added 06-30-19 at 08:23 PM ----------

What works for you as a professional doing whatever it is you do, is only relevant to you.
Not necessary... this forum is great because it provide free information and each comment filtered by our own standards can become valuable information at some point.
06-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Yes, that's why everyone's opinion is important and we extract from each comment what we think is relevant to us.

---------- Post added 06-30-19 at 08:23 PM ----------

Not necessary... this forum is great because it provide free information and each comment filtered by our own standards can become valuable information at some point.
I certainly agree with the info in the bank waiting to be used concept. Most of us do try and keep up.