Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2019, 02:44 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back!

I think the KP is the camera you are looking for and then fill in your lens line up with focal lengths that appeal to you.

06-23-2019, 03:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Wellcome back from the dead , will wonders never cease.

Your K-5iis is still wonderful camera, My Tess is still shooting her K-5. I bought the K-3, for the faster shutter and buffer but but, the K-5s are still great for most images. And my DA 60-250 is still going strong.

For most walks however I have a DA 55-300 PLM. A great lightweight lens , rated best in class by some reviewers and compares favourably even with the DA *60-250 if you don't use a TC, or pixel peep. It's a great walk around lens as well.

A K-P is pretty much the cats meow in APS-c these days.

You missed my hip surgery (shiny new hip) and my cataract surgery, ain't getting old grand?
Anyway, it's all downhill from here.
I took a look at the PLM version of the 55-300 last night - very nice! I really need to watch the weight because my hands still aren't the greatest.

And yeah - getting old - my wife just had a full knee replacement a month ago so I am doing all the household duties that I can also on top of keeping this 100 year old house going......

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
My 2c worth:

Start with the KP (or a used K5iis) and 55-300 PLM. Very versatile and lightweight combo.

Add a 100 macro. Then, if you can afford it, add a DA* 300 because it is Pentax's best lens and brilliant for every kind of nature photography.

Maybe add a lightweight monopod to your kit too.
That would be an awesome combination. Over the years I think I have tried just about every Pentax lens there is. I loved experimenting with them all. Unfortunately I get wrapped up in the gear aspect too much being a gadget freak. But hey - you only live once, right?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Hello Stan, welcome back and i'm sorry to hear of your troubles.
Please note the PLM version of the 55-300 will not work with the K-5 series of bodies as Pentax did not revise the firmware for them .

You might like to consider the K-70, it goes on sale periodically and has a full feature set. Remotes are a little awkward though.
This is good info - thanks! I kind of have my eye on that PLM lens and didn't know that it won't work with the K5 series.

-------------------------------

I took a quick look at the KP last night - looks like it would be a great replacement for the old K5-IIs. It must be a newer model as I didn't see any used ones around. I actually would prefer a pre-used camera and lens at this point. Don't want to dive straight into the rabbit hole right away as I need to be sure I will stick with it.

As far as I could tell the KS-2 is sort of like the old KX or KR - am I correct in that thinking? I am trying to relate the new models to the old which I am familiar with. I really appreciated the body feel and especially the shutter "feel" of the K5-IIS and it looks like the K-P is on par with that. Is that thinking correctly?

-----------------------

I am still considering the refurbished Canon 80D bundle. It is an excellent price for what you get and is directly from Canon. My main reason for possibly doing so is the availability of other brand lenses like Sigma and Tamron. I think that was the most frustrating part of being a Pentax user all those years - lack of aftermarket accessories. It seems most companies just won't make much for Pentax.

The thing that bothers me the most with the Canon is having an AA filter. But I am obsessing over that.

Canon Refurbished EOS 80D EF-S 18-55 & EF-S 55-250 IS STM Bundle | Canon Online Store|Canon Online Store
06-23-2019, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I am still considering the refurbished Canon 80D bundle. It is an excellent price for what you get and is directly from Canon. My main reason for possibly doing so is the availability of other brand lenses like Sigma and Tamron. I think that was the most frustrating part of being a Pentax user all those years - lack of aftermarket accessories. It seems most companies just won't make much for Pentax.

The thing that bothers me the most with the Canon is having an AA filter. But I am obsessing over that.
If you think that you might be frustrated with lack of third party lenses and accessories, then - much as it pains me to say it - Pentax may not be your best choice. That aside, if you can be satisfied with what's available for Pentax (and, frankly, there is more than enough for almost every situation) the KP will give you much better results at high ISO settings. If you're going with lighter variable aperture zooms, then you'll probably end up shooting at f/7.1 minimum at the long end, possibly f/8 or smaller, to get the best image quality. And if you're shooting sports or wildlife (for example), you'll want to use reasonably high shutter speeds. Small apertures and fast shutter speeds will necessitate higher ISO settings (unless you're shooting in incredibly bright daylight). In such circumstances, the high ISO capabilities of the KP easily win out over the EOS 80D (although the Canon still appears to be pretty decent in this regard - more or less equivalent to the K-3, actually). The AA filter on the Canon will certainly result in photos that are less sharp when looking at the raw files, but judicious use of sharpening in post-processing can address that. You might still notice a little less very fine detail, but unless you're reproducing photos at large sizes and viewing them up close, it's not going to be a problem.
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-23-2019 at 04:30 AM.
06-23-2019, 04:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you think that you might be frustrated with lack of third party lenses and accessories, then - much as it pains me to say it - Pentax may not be your best choice. That aside, if you can be satisfied with what's available for Pentax (and, frankly, there is more than enough for almost every situation) the KP will give you much better results at high ISO settings. If you're going with lighter variable aperture zooms, then you'll probably end up shooting at f/7.1 minimum at the long end, possibly f/8 or smaller, to get the best image quality. And if you're shooting sports or wildlife (for example), you'll want to use reasonably high shutter speeds. Small apertures and fast shutter speeds will necessitate higher ISO settings (unless you're shooting in incredibly bright daylight). In such circumstances, the high ISO capabilities of the KP easily win out over the EOS 80D (although the Canon still appears to be pretty decent in this regard - more or less equivalent to the K-3, actually). The AA filter on the Canon will certainly result in photos that are less sharp when looking at the raw files, but judicious use of sharpening in post-processing can address that. You might still notice a little less very fine detail, but unless you're reproducing photos at large sizes and viewing them up close, it's not going to be a problem.
Excellent comparison - thank you!

I shoot wildlife and what I call forest scapes all in low light under the tree canopy.

At first I will be using one of the slower zoom lenses - likely the 55-300 - until I get going again and be able to get some faster glass.

With that said being able to shoot at higher ISO’s is very important.

As far as the larger availability for lenses and accessories for Canon - been there / done that with Pentax for many years. As I said earlier, I’ve tried and bought/sold so many lenses over the years. I now know what I want which will basically be just 2 or 3 lenses at most.

06-23-2019, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

This is good info - thanks! I kind of have my eye on that PLM lens and didn't know that it won't work with the K5 series.
Tess loves the DA 55-300 PLM on her K-5. I've never checked to make sure it works correctly, we usually shoot at ƒ5.6 so wide open it's a bit smaller aperture than we usually use, so maybe it isn't stopping down correctly, but even at wider apertures it seems to work fine. She sure likes it a lot for a lens that "doesn't work."
06-23-2019, 05:28 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tess loves the DA 55-300 PLM on her K-5. I've never checked to make sure it works correctly, we usually shoot at ƒ5.6 so wide open it's a bit smaller aperture than we usually use, so maybe it isn't stopping down correctly, but even at wider apertures it seems to work fine. She sure likes it a lot for a lens that "doesn't work."
The PLM is KAF4 mount. I don't own one but I think that you can set the aperture on a later body, say the K-3 and it says there. Then it's useable on the K-5 at that aperture. It's not a work around if you only have the K-5.
06-23-2019, 05:36 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome back.
Pentax K-5IIs with BG4 Battery Grip - PentaxForums.com

06-23-2019, 06:22 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5IIs on sale

I am thinking about selling my K5IIs but I am not ready yet. But I see one on the market place right now:
06-23-2019, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
I am thinking about selling my K5IIs but I am not ready yet. But I see one on the market place right now:
BOOM!

This may have made up my mind. I was just about set to go with a K70 but the chance to get something that I loved and am intricately familiar with may have won out.

Thanks!
06-23-2019, 06:35 AM - 3 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The PLM is KAF4 mount. I don't own one but I think that you can set the aperture on a later body, say the K-3 and it says there. Then it's useable on the K-5 at that aperture. It's not a work around if you only have the K-5.
OK. So if I do end up with the K5-IIs the PLM lens is out I guess, that’s OK - if I get that body I will look for a nice copy of the HD 55-300 WR.
06-23-2019, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Trust me, you don't want to get into an argument with Tess about whether or not it works
She used to be a world class body builder.
She says "It works fine on my camera." as she takes my lens and walks out the door. I just say "Well fine by me then."

And the exif from her images appear to show the Aperture is working as it should, although I've never thought of a way to make sure it's doing what it says it's doing. It exposes the images correctly, it puts the number the camera is set to in the exif. She loves the lens. What else do you want? If it was a 2.8 lens maybe I'd care, but with a min. aperture of ƒ/6.3 that's pretty good single use focal length for an APS_c lens, even if it isn't stopping down.
06-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

She used to be a world class body builder.
Walks away sheepishly...
Moot point now anyway
06-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Walks away sheepishly...
Moot point now anyway
I honestly think she thinks I'm trying to scam her into not borrowing the lens because I might want it for myself.

So the main thing is, even on her K-5 it still focuses at a speed that would suggest it's on steroids.

I always knew that K-5 would be a better camera if only Pentax would make a lens capable of the AF speed the body could make use of.

Last edited by normhead; 06-23-2019 at 09:35 AM.
06-23-2019, 09:39 AM - 6 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's an update -

A long time member here approached me via PM this morning. I will leave them to be anonymous for now unless they want to let us know here.

I am getting a K3 with a DA* 60-250.

I am so excited! I was leaning toward the K70 and 55-300 but know I would be wanting more. After all my years with Pentax gear my DA* 60-250 was always my go-to lens. And coupled with a K3 is just cream on top. Can't wait to learn about it.

And another note.....I first came here in this thread with my mind fairly made up on getting the Canon bundle. However in the short time this thread has lived I have found something that I always knew but had forgotten in my absence - the community here and the people who make up the community. I am so happy to be back in with the group here. Had I gone with Canon I would have been lost in the internet world.

Thank you all for being here and helping me. At least half my excitement with this purchase is knowing that I will be able to be active here once again. I have no personal friends at all in life. If you can call us friends here being we all have never met, I feel blessed to have the friendship you all give me.

I will update this thread when the gear comes and of course be out posting pics in the different sections.
06-23-2019, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I am getting a K3 with a DA* 60-250.

I am so excited! I was leaning toward the K70 and 55-300 but know I would be wanting more. After all my years with Pentax gear my DA* 60-250 was always my go-to lens. And coupled with a K3 is just cream on top. Can't wait to learn about it.

And another note.....I first came here in this thread with my mind fairly made up on getting the Canon bundle. However in the short time this thread has lived I have found something that I always knew but had forgotten in my absence - the community here and the people who make up the community. I am so happy to be back in with the group here. Had I gone with Canon I would have been lost in the internet world.

Thank you all for being here and helping me. At least half my excitement with this purchase is knowing that I will be able to be active here once again. I have no personal friends at all in life. If you can call us friends here being we all have never met, I feel blessed to have the friendship you all give me.
Awesome! You're going to love the K-3. I shoot a fair amount of older gear, but the K-3 is my go-to "modern" DSLR. It's a real treat to shoot, and very, very capable indeed. The image quality is excellent. You already know how capable the DA*60-250 is, but I can tell you it really sings with the 24MP camera sensor.

As for friends, they come in all forms... And those here on the forums are just as valid (and to me, just as valued) as those I see in person. The nice thing about an international forum site is that there's always someone online

Congratulations and do let us know when your new kit arrives