Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2019, 03:30 PM   #46
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I figured someone would spot that....

I am redoing a rain water drain. All the downspouts on my house are piped into 3” clay pipe and run underground somewhere. I broke a section from running over it with my tractor. That’s what I get for mowing with a heavy compact diesel tractor.

So replacing the pieces with 4” S&D pipe. Picked up the elbow shown when I was in town this morning.
I see.

So the drainage must go to a dry well, or maybe daylights into a stream or other natural surface drainage.

The four downspouts on my shop each go into buried 55 gallon barrels, filled with drain rock. Works great, but you know it is raining hard when the water comes gushing back out.

When we built the house all the downspouts are picked up and tightlined to just above the cliff at the rivers edge, where the ground tapers down some. We used 4” around the house, then 6” from the house to where it daylights under a cedar tree. Never see any evidence of erosion, and it never backs up in heavy rain.

The snow has beaten up the gutters on the shop. The snow slides off the steel roof much easier than the composition roof on the house. So I need to replace them soon and may rework the drains to catch the water and use it for irrigation in the garden and fruit trees.

06-28-2019, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I see.

So the drainage must go to a dry well, or maybe daylights into a stream or other natural surface drainage.

The four downspouts on my shop each go into buried 55 gallon barrels, filled with drain rock. Works great, but you know it is raining hard when the water comes gushing back out.

When we built the house all the downspouts are picked up and tightlined to just above the cliff at the rivers edge, where the ground tapers down some. We used 4” around the house, then 6” from the house to where it daylights under a cedar tree. Never see any evidence of erosion, and it never backs up in heavy rain.

The snow has beaten up the gutters on the shop. The snow slides off the steel roof much easier than the composition roof on the house. So I need to replace them soon and may rework the drains to catch the water and use it for irrigation in the garden and fruit trees.
I live along a small river - around here the term is “krik”. There are a lot of springs on my property many of which are piped underground to where they exit at the bank of the creek.

The main spring - where our water comes from - has an little overflow pond - and also is piped underground to the creek bank. I believe the rain downspouts are piped into this.

Quick iPad shots showing the main spring, spring overflow pond, and the creek bank. You can’t see the creek in this area this time or year as it is just too lush.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad (5th generation)  Photo 
06-28-2019, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #48
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I live along a small river - around here the term is “krik”. There are a lot of springs on my property many of which are piped underground to where they exit at the bank of the creek.

The main spring - where our water comes from - has an little overflow pond - and also is piped underground to the creek bank. I believe the rain downspouts are piped into this.

Quick iPad shots showing the main spring, spring overflow pond, and the creek bank. You can’t see the creek in this area this time or year as it is just too lush.
You have a beautiful place Stan.