Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Here's an update -

A long time member here approached me via PM this morning. I will leave them to be anonymous for now unless they want to let us know here.

I am getting a K3 with a DA* 60-250.

I am so excited! I was leaning toward the K70 and 55-300 but know I would be wanting more. After all my years with Pentax gear my DA* 60-250 was always my go-to lens. And coupled with a K3 is just cream on top. Can't wait to learn about it.

And another note.....I first came here in this thread with my mind fairly made up on getting the Canon bundle. However in the short time this thread has lived I have found something that I always knew but had forgotten in my absence - the community here and the people who make up the community. I am so happy to be back in with the group here. Had I gone with Canon I would have been lost in the internet world.

Thank you all for being here and helping me. At least half my excitement with this purchase is knowing that I will be able to be active here once again. I have no personal friends at all in life. If you can call us friends here being we all have never met, I feel blessed to have the friendship you all give me.

I will update this thread when the gear comes and of course be out posting pics in the different sections.
And if the firmware is up to date, the PLM can be your every day carry lens as it is a lot lighter than the 60-250! (Cheaper also!)

06-23-2019, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm jealous! (Just kidding; good for you.) Sounds like an awesome match-up. I picked up a K-5iis from a forum member in the Marketplace a few months ago and love it. Just recently got a Pentax F 100mm f2.8 Macro for a great price too; wonderful lens! I'm so glad you will be able to get back into photography. Can't wait to see your pics with your new gear.
06-23-2019, 11:36 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's an update -

A long time member here approached me via PM this morning. I will leave them to be anonymous for now unless they want to let us know here.

I am so excited! I was leaning toward the K70 and 55-300 but know I would be wanting more. After all my years with Pentax gear my DA* 60-250 was always my go-to lens. And coupled with a K3 is just cream on top. Can't wait to learn about it.

And another note.....I first came here in this thread with my mind fairly made up on getting the Canon bundle. However in the short time this thread has lived I have found something that I always knew but had forgotten in my absence - the community here and the people who make up the community. I am so happy to be back in with the group here. Had I gone with Canon I would have been lost in the internet world.

Thank you all for being here and helping me. At least half my excitement with this purchase is knowing that I will be able to be active here once again. I have no personal friends at all in life. If you can call us friends here being we all have never met, I feel blessed to have the friendship you all give me.

I will update this thread when the gear comes and of course be out posting pics in the different sections.
Awesome! The community here is indeed one of the best "features" of Pentax. I'm sure you'll like the K-3 - it has almost identical layout to the K-5 but has a lot of small improvements.

Welcome back!
06-23-2019, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic! Can't wait to see what you can do with that combo - enjoy

06-23-2019, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-3 is a great camera! You'll love it. And the ergonomics of the camera are similar to that of the K-5IIs, so you won't have a steep learning curve.
06-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Tess loves the DA 55-300 PLM on her K-5. I've never checked to make sure it works correctly, we usually shoot at ƒ5.6 so wide open it's a bit smaller aperture than we usually use, so maybe it isn't stopping down correctly, but even at wider apertures it seems to work fine. She sure likes it a lot for a lens that "doesn't work."
I had to try it on my new K=5IIs since you posted this Norm and it seems to work in fine fashion! I tried to do a quick test to see if the aperture was changing for each shot but I think I would need to go about testing in a more methodical manner, especially since I am still quite unfamiliar with the K-5.
06-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK. So if I do end up with the K5-IIs the PLM lens is out I guess, that’s OK - if I get that body I will look for a nice copy of the HD 55-300 WR.
I have all three of these bodies bought new- the K-5 IIs, K-S2 (for its smallness and excellence over the prior K-r), and the KP. The KP is my most often-used body. The K-S2 when I need to go as small as possible with high quality. But I still think very highly of my K-5 IIs, even after owning these newer models, and still shoot with it. With a good lens, it still delivers fine images. it looks like you've found a good copy at a very good price, and with the battery grip. Hard to beat that value.

I also have the DA HD 55-300mm WR lens, and I like it very much. It uses the old, reliable screw-driven technology, but that is fine with me, and it turns out fine images. They are still available new at a good price from B&H. With such a savings on the camera, you might consider it. If you'd like an exceptionally good pro-style constant aperture zoom lens, the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC is an excellent choice, and priced very well for such a lens. Also built well, but not WR.

If you'd rather have an all-around zoom lens having WR, the DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 provides fast, accurate, quiet AF and very good imaging. It is also remarkably compact and lightweight for such a wide zoom range.

Oops, I missed that you are getting a K-3 and a DA* 60-250mm. That should be a dynamite combo. That Sigma 17-50mm would work in well also.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-23-2019 at 09:29 PM.
06-24-2019, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Stan! I remember you! Glad to have you back! I'm not very active on the PF the past few years but pop up every now and then. Good luck rebuilding your lens and camera equipment!
06-24-2019, 12:51 PM - 4 Likes   #39
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Always good to welcome returnees, come into the body of the Kirk, pull up a chair and we can carry on where we left off.

We've all just been hanging about waiting for you...
06-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #40
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Hello everyone! It's been a few years since I've been here. Maybe some of the old timers will remember? Or maybe regret.....??
Hey Stan!

Welcome back!

I have wondered how you were doing. Great to see you getting active again. I know it isn't always easy, but becoming active can help one forget the pain.

Looking forward to seeing more of you.

06-28-2019, 09:50 AM - 5 Likes   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I guess it’s official - I’m back!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad (5th generation)  Photo 
06-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #42
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
What's the plastic pipe for Stan?
06-28-2019, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I figured someone would spot that....

I am redoing a rain water drain. All the downspouts on my house are piped into 3” clay pipe and run underground somewhere. I broke a section from running over it with my tractor. That’s what I get for mowing with a heavy compact diesel tractor.

So replacing the pieces with 4” S&D pipe. Picked up the elbow shown when I was in town this morning.
06-28-2019, 12:37 PM - 2 Likes   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And now you're armed too, LOL!!! Ready! Aim! ….

---------- Post added 06-28-19 at 12:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That's for shooting around corners, LOL!!!
06-28-2019, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Less than a week from "I'm back - maybe......" to "I'm tooled up!". Well done, sir! I'm sure you're going to have an awful lot of fun and take some awesome photos with that setup