Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2019, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,745
I'm back - maybe......

Hello everyone! It's been a few years since I've been here. Maybe some of the old timers will remember? Or maybe regret.....??

I have the itch to get back into my lifelong hobby which I abandoned about 6 years ago. At that time I had come down with a nasty case of Rheumatoid Arthritis. I'll spare you the long version which isn't pretty at al. But will tell you that I got to the point where I couldn't even hold my DSLR in my hands. It was a bad time of my life and I sold all my gear out of frustration.

Now with the help of modern medicine I am back - somewhat. I can do some things around the house now. And now I get the itch to get back into my photography hobby.

I feel like I am starting all over. But after cruising around the forum for a few minutes it is all coming back. Since changing over to the digital age (whenever that was) I've been an avid Pentax user. My last set of gear was a K5-IIs, DA* 60-250, DA* 300, and the wonderful 100mm macro lens.

It's been long enough that I have no idea of any of the newer camera models and what advances that have been made. I will tell you that I was 100% happy with my combination.

But the thing is, now that I am "retired" and "on a fixed income" - blah blah blah - I can't afford the latest and greatest. As far as a body I would be more than happy with a K5-IIs to get started again. As for now I will not be able to afford the DA* lenses - but....I fell my starting point should be the K5-IIs and the DA* 60-250. Anything less and I know I will be quickly discouraged and not get the good start again.

Any opinions? Am I thinking straight? Is there a newer body that I can get for the same money that will serve me better?

Budget is kind of loose. I know the going price lately for a used DA* 60-250 is ~$700 - that hasn't changed over the years. But it seems the K5-IIs's have all but disappeared. What happened to all of them?

I came very close to buying a Canon 80D with an 18-55 EF-S and 55-250 IS STM that is refurbished for $700. But as far as I know those are kit lenses which I always stayed away from. Plus I know nothing about Canon gear. However I did find that the 80D has an AA filter which immediately turned me back to my K-5IIs. The images I got from that camera were just stunning in my opinion.

06-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,353
Welcome back, Stan! Good to hear you're trying to work around your "limitations" and getting out and shooting again. Believe me, I can relate

Have you checked the PF Marketplace lately? Seems like K5IIs's pop up fairly frequently over there.
Good to have you back!

Paul
06-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,745
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Welcome back, Stan! Good to hear you're trying to work around your "limitations" and getting out and shooting again. Believe me, I can relate

Have you checked the PF Marketplace lately? Seems like K5IIs's pop up fairly frequently over there.
Good to have you back!

Paul
Hi Paul! Man, this is great - I get to greet all my old friends! So glad to see you still here - and with the Otis sig still.

I did a brief look at the marketplace. No K5-IIs that I could see but did see a DA* 60-250 that caught my eye.....
06-22-2019, 03:31 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian
Kozlok's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,381
The lower end bodies may be lighter and easier on the wrist. I love my KS-2, and those are quite inexpensive used, and better IQ than the K-5. Has a flippy screen too, which makes low shots easier.

The DA*16-50 is actually quite inexpensive used as well these days.

You may want the 55-300, to save strain on your wrist vs the 60-250.

Maybe use a BlackRapid strap to lessen the amount of time holding the camera too.

Welcome home.

06-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,745
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The lower end bodies may be lighter and easier on the wrist. I love my KS-2, and those are quite inexpensive used, and better IQ than the K-5. Has a flippy screen too, which makes low shots easier.

The DA*16-50 is actually quite inexpensive used as well these days.

You may want the 55-300, to save strain on your wrist vs the 60-250.

Maybe use a BlackRapid strap to lessen the amount of time holding the camera too.

Welcome home.
Good suggestions - thanks.

Your idea of the 55-300 is a good one. It will just take me some more patience I guess.

Ill look into the KS-2. I really like the idea of the flip screen. I shoot mostly from a tripod - or laying on my belly - where the adjustable screen works very well.
06-22-2019, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,123
Welcome back!!

[group hug]
06-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,085
Welcome back! I bought a new KP lasted year and it is an amazing camera, very good with low light. Kozlok mentioned the 55-300, well the latest version is the PLM version and it has very fast autofocus. Its a very good combination. Good to see you back, Tom
06-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Hattifnatt's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,504
Welcome back! wish you good light... and good health also!

I would go for the KP also, but not sure about lens choice. However I don't think you can't go wrong with the 55-300.

06-22-2019, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 13,164
Hi Stan, and welcome back!

I can relate to the health problems, as I've been dealing with early-onset RA for the last four-and-a-half years. On a personal note, might I ask what meds you're getting benefit from? I'm on hydroxychloroquin, plus various pain killers, and steroid injections every three-to-six months. They all help, but often not as much as I'd hoped

Regarding your camera and lens choice, those sound just fine to me. I will ask, though, how much do you really need the constant f/4 of the DA*60-250? I own this lens, and it's one of my favourites. But in recent months I find myself using the (non-PLM) HD DA55-300 more often. Stopped down a little, I find I'm more than happy with the image quality, and it doesn't suffer from severe focus breathing. Plus, it's much lighter - and with a health condition like RA, that can make a huge difference for an afternoon's shooting. Lastly, it's considerably more affordable
06-22-2019, 06:01 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,745
Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome back everyone!

I think I may just start with the 55-300 as suggested. This is why I asked here and am receiving sound advice just like I knew I would.

Will also look hard at the KP and KS-2.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Stan, and welcome back!

I can relate to the health problems, as I've been dealing with early-onset RA for the last four-and-a-half years. On a personal note, might I ask what meds you're getting benefit from? I'm on hydroxychloroquin, plus various pain killers, and steroid injections every three-to-six months. They all help, but often not as much as I'd hoped

Regarding your camera and lens choice, those sound just fine to me. I will ask, though, how much do you really need the constant f/4 of the DA*60-250? I own this lens, and it's one of my favourites. But in recent months I find myself using the (non-PLM) HD DA55-300 more often. Stopped down a little, I find I'm more than happy with the image quality, and it doesn't suffer from severe focus breathing. Plus, it's much lighter - and with a health condition like RA, that can make a huge difference for an afternoon's shooting. Lastly, it's considerably more affordable
For the RA - I didn't do what one is supposed to - I didn't see a specialist until it was way too late. I was stubborn and just kept working. Got to the point where I could barely walk - using a walker a lot of days - also couldn't lift a coffee mug to my lips using 2 hands.

Rheumatologist diagnosed me right away when I finally went - my RF factor and inflammation tests were just about off the charts. Started me on Methotrexate. That took a solid 6 weeks before any results - then suddenly it was like I had no disease. I kept working at that point. Then the effect of the Methotrexate slowly wore off over the next 6 months - to the point then where I couldn't even walk.

Then started on Humira along with the Methotrexate. The Humia took a solid 6 months to do anything but took away 25% of my issues. It then took over 3 years with that combination to get to my present 50% of my old self.

Aboout 2 years ago I started getting really sick from the Methotrexate. Was told it became toxic to my system after taking it for so long. They switched that out for Avara which I am still taking along with the Humira.

All along those 5-6 years I've been also taking 5mg of Prednisone daily and also a daily regimen of pain medication (which I won't divulge in an open forum). The combination of all said here allows me to do light yard work around the house for 1-2 hours each morning - then I am done for the day and back in my chair for the rest of the day.

For me the Humira has been a wonder drug of sorts. It's amazingly expensive but luckily I have insurance that covers it with a very minimal copay.

---------------------------------------------

OK - off to look at those cameras and the PLM lens - that is new to me.
06-22-2019, 06:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,328
Wellcome back from the dead , will wonders never cease.

Your K-5iis is still wonderful camera, My Tess is still shooting her K-5. I bought the K-3, for the faster shutter and buffer but but, the K-5s are still great for most images. And my DA 60-250 is still going strong.

For most walks however I have a DA 55-300 PLM. A great lightweight lens , rated best in class by some reviewers and compares favourably even with the DA *60-250 if you don't use a TC, or pixel peep. It's a great walk around lens as well.

A K-P is pretty much the cats meow in APS-c these days.

You missed my hip surgery (shiny new hip) and my cataract surgery, ain't getting old grand?
Anyway, it's all downhill from here.
06-22-2019, 10:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Billk's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Posts: 317
My 2c worth:

Start with the KP (or a used K5iis) and 55-300 PLM. Very versatile and lightweight combo.

Add a 100 macro. Then, if you can afford it, add a DA* 300 because it is Pentax's best lens and brilliant for every kind of nature photography.

Maybe add a lightweight monopod to your kit too.
06-22-2019, 11:48 PM   #13
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,356
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Hello everyone! It's been a few years since I've been here. Maybe some of the old timers will remember? Or maybe regret.....??

I have the itch to get back into my lifelong hobby which I abandoned about 6 years ago. At that time I had come down with a nasty case of Rheumatoid Arthritis. I'll spare you the long version which isn't pretty at al. But will tell you that I got to the point where I couldn't even hold my DSLR in my hands. It was a bad time of my life and I sold all my gear out of frustration.

Now with the help of modern medicine I am back - somewhat. I can do some things around the house now. And now I get the itch to get back into my photography hobby.

I feel like I am starting all over. But after cruising around the forum for a few minutes it is all coming back. Since changing over to the digital age (whenever that was) I've been an avid Pentax user. My last set of gear was a K5-IIs, DA* 60-250, DA* 300, and the wonderful 100mm macro lens.

It's been long enough that I have no idea of any of the newer camera models and what advances that have been made. I will tell you that I was 100% happy with my combination.

But the thing is, now that I am "retired" and "on a fixed income" - blah blah blah - I can't afford the latest and greatest. As far as a body I would be more than happy with a K5-IIs to get started again. As for now I will not be able to afford the DA* lenses - but....I fell my starting point should be the K5-IIs and the DA* 60-250. Anything less and I know I will be quickly discouraged and not get the good start again.

Any opinions? Am I thinking straight? Is there a newer body that I can get for the same money that will serve me better?

Budget is kind of loose. I know the going price lately for a used DA* 60-250 is ~$700 - that hasn't changed over the years. But it seems the K5-IIs's have all but disappeared. What happened to all of them?

I came very close to buying a Canon 80D with an 18-55 EF-S and 55-250 IS STM that is refurbished for $700. But as far as I know those are kit lenses which I always stayed away from. Plus I know nothing about Canon gear. However I did find that the 80D has an AA filter which immediately turned me back to my K-5IIs. The images I got from that camera were just stunning in my opinion.
Welcome back Stan! A K-5 of a K-3 will serve you well. Good to see you back. Sorry to hear about your health issues. But, thanks to modern medicine and self medicating, onwards and upwards.
06-23-2019, 01:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Kevin B123's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hampshire
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 846
Hello Stan, welcome back and i'm sorry to hear of your troubles.
Please note the PLM version of the 55-300 will not work with the K-5 series of bodies as Pentax did not revise the firmware for them .

You might like to consider the K-70, it goes on sale periodically and has a full feature set. Remotes are a little awkward though.
06-23-2019, 02:02 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
david94903's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 624
Welcome back.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-23-2019 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Sales only permitted in Marketplace
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
blah, body, camera, canon, da*, dslr, gear, k5-iis, lenses, photography, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back to School, Back to 3 Lights mcgregni Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 6 09-10-2018 07:42 AM
Maybe this may help with 'aperature block' (?) maybe fun? fstop18 Pentax K-30 & K-50 6 03-30-2017 10:29 AM
Getting back into photography and maybe vintage camera repair old_manual_guy Welcomes and Introductions 12 04-25-2016 04:32 PM
Welcome back maybe? (mostly new) xfloggingkylex Welcomes and Introductions 2 11-07-2011 09:55 PM
Maybe, almost a new Canon to Pentax Convert...maybe.. ;) brecklundin Welcomes and Introductions 34 07-09-2009 10:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top