Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2006, 06:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D internal raw processing

Will this be using the same Silkypix engine as the computer software or will it be different? Why would one want to process raw in camera vs in the computer? Yeah, still hung up on this raw with new camera stuff. A month to go and haven't figured out what I will do.
thanks
barondla

10-08-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
... Why would one want to process raw in camera vs in the computer? Yeah, still hung up on this raw with new camera stuff. A month to go and haven't figured out what I will do.
thanks
barondla
I've had to provide some photos out in the field to somebody else. No computer with RAW conversion software around, so I was stuck helpless with my RAW pics. With the in-camera conversion at least there is a way out in a situation like that.

I can also see it come in handy, if on a trip, say, you decide to have some of your photos printed at a photolab. They cannot handle RAW.

Another option is to shoot RAW + JPEG which, of course, will eat up your memory card real fast!
10-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Another option is to shoot RAW + JPEG which, of course, will eat up your memory card real fast!
The biggest difference is that you can make adjustments manually while doing RAW in camera conversion.
As I understand, if you run that RAW conversion with automatic settings you'll get absolutely the same result as taking pictures directly to JPEG.
10-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would also find it usefull as I always shoot in RAW but sometimes friends/family ask for a copy on the spot so if I have been shooting RAW I can't give it to them..

10-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Why would one want to process raw in camera vs in the computer?
I think this feature is brilliant. It will allow me to finish most of my photographing out in the field. While the idea and the athmophere of the shoot is fresh in mind.
The tricky one, I can finish at home. In other words, it will give me the best of both worlds.
10-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
internal raw processing

Won't the camera make a copy of the raw when doing the conversion? If so we are going to use up even more memory. What is the difference between converting it and just shooting raw+jpeg to start with? Usually with raw you try to make a lot of the corrections before converting to jpeg or tiff. Seems this would be vey difficult to do on the small lcd of the camera.
Do you think straight raw conversions in camera will look the same as straight raw conversions using the Pentax/Silky software? It seems the camera would be fairly slow doing the conversion. It could be useful though. Does any other camera allow this? I can see my beloved RSE workflow slipping away. Darn Adobe.
thanks
barondla
10-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't think camera is going to be slow in RAW conversion. It should be fast, extremely fast.

How do you get JPEG out of the camera? IMHO sensor captures RAW data from sensor, *converts* it to JPEG and saves JPEG to memory card. This conversion is very fast.

I guess that manual RAW into JPEG conversion is performed by the same hardware and software, you just enter some parameters for conversion. So it should be also very fast.

We can only speculate if camera JPEG (and RAW conversion) will be the same as RAW file converted in PPL. Who knows, maybe.

10-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #8

Hi I'm new to this forum and have used Pentax Stuff from the early 80s. I got into digital with a Kodak DCS 760 when I realized that Pentax was not going ahead with the 6mp full frame that was announced.

This internal conversion reminds me of the DCS 760. I found this to be very useful especially since the 760 is primarily a 'raw' only camera. Hopefully since the K10D is today's tech it should process faster than the 760. The good thing about the 760 was that you could tag the images you wanted to be processed & save them to another folder on either one of the two cards in the 760. So quite a good feature for those who prefer to shoot raw & need to get the pictures out quickly without a computer handy.

Hopefully it works way faster than the 760 and in much the same way (except for the 2 card slot of course). It would be especially good if the processing could carry on real time while shooting. What the 760 did was to process the files only when the camera was idle so it wasn't that fast to process. As for memory space, I guess this would beat having to shoot & save ALL images in RAW+jpeg by default as in most of the pro digital slrs. So hopefully we get the ability to tag images in the K10D.

And its interesting to think that the K10D is getting a feature that was found in a camera 6x more expensive!