Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which of the pairs is the FF image? You get 6 choices.
1 is FF 2843.08%
2 is FF 3553.85%
3 is FF 3858.46%
4 is FF 2436.92%
5 is FF 3858.46%
6 is FF 2538.46%
7 is FF 3147.69%
8 us FF 2741.54%
9 is FF 1523.08%
10 is FF 4264.62%
11 is FF 1523.08%
11 is APS_c 3046.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Whereas for people like myself who preferred high contrast that incorporate large areas of black or white, we quickly realized, the fact that you have dynamic range doesn't mean you alway shave to use it. SOMe areas in many photos look better back or blasted white.\ With high dynamic range you have the choice, even if you don't make use of it every time.

So true. I always loved the narrow dynamic range of Kodachrome, but somehow when I switched to digital I fell into the mindset that there must never be any solid blacks or whites. I gradually went into a phase of using lower and lower contrast, and it's only now that I'm starting to come out of that and remembering the higher contrast look that I used to love. Crazy.

07-11-2019, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #152
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
So true. I always loved the narrow dynamic range of Kodachrome, but somehow when I switched to digital I fell into the mindset that there must never be any solid blacks or whites. I gradually went into a phase of using lower and lower contrast, and it's only now that I'm starting to come out of that and remembering the higher contrast look that I used to love. Crazy.
If that mindset had affected me, I'd probably still be shooting film.
My partner in crime teaching, the other photography teacher, was an "never lose any detail" guy because he shot mostly commercial. I was more of an artsy guy with more contrast, and selective detail. We both used to drop in on each others classes, and occasionally offer our differing opinions on what made a good photograph. I think the kids learned as much from those discussions as they did from anything else. They learned there was room for individuality.

At the same time we made sure they knew how to shoot and process both ways, but they learned there wasn't just one way to go about it and that there was room for individuality in interpretation, and that was fine. The smarter ones took the information and ran with it. The slower ones took sides and went for one look or the other. They didn't realize that we could both do it the way the other did it, that you had to understand it all to have choice.

I remember when someone in Stevnson's class handed in an image that was high contrast, he'd say "Mr. Head would like that." When one of mine handed in an low contrast but full DR image with infinite gradation and detail, I'd say "Mr. Stevenson would like that." It provided an endless sense of amusement for everyone involved and some students actually believed we didn't like each other not knowing we were drinking together every friday night and visiting each other's houses from time to time. All the drama in the world to make the points stick.

I haven't thought of him in a while, RIP buddy.

Last edited by normhead; 07-11-2019 at 09:43 AM.
07-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K1 is a 2 in 1 camera, you can trade frame per seconds against resolution by turning the crop mode + top dials. Guess why I've decide to get a backup K1 II is case Pentax goes under. A full frame camera with a quick apsc crop mode is the most versatile system you can have these days. FF vs apsc debate is over, use the crop if you prefer, use FF if you prefer.
07-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #154
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The K1 is a 2 in 1 camera, you can trade frame per seconds against resolution by turning the crop mode + top dials. Guess why I've decide to get a backup K1 II is case Pentax goes under. A full frame camera with a quick apsc crop mode is the most versatile system you can have these days. FF vs apsc debate is over, use the crop if you prefer, use FF if you prefer.
15 MP in APS-c compared to 24 MP says that's not always the case if for no other reason, for more crop room.

07-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
15 MP in APS-c compared to 24 MP says that's not always the case if for no other reason, for more crop room.
That's a point, however, if I remember correctly the K3 files don't resolve more than K5IIs files when ISO is set to 400 and higher. When shooting at shutter speed 1/400, chances are ISO is also >> 400 , hence not much difference between a K3 and a K1 crop mode. BUT you are right, 8.3 FPS of the K3 is still a bit faster than 6.6 FPS of the K1 cropped.
07-11-2019, 07:00 PM - 2 Likes   #156
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's a point, however, if I remember correctly the K3 files don't resolve more than K5IIs files when ISO is set to 400 and higher. When shooting at shutter speed 1/400, chances are ISO is also >> 400
You just answered that nagging question.."Why doesn't normhead like to shoot his K-3 over 200 ISO" that's been at the back of everyone's mind lately.
07-13-2019, 01:12 AM   #157
Pentaxian

I go blindfolded for K1 combo. Who is Sigma?
All arguments are on the table.