Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 319 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Every mirrorless and DSLR manufacturer is vulnerable, due to pressure from smartphones. Pentax is smaller but also has smaller potential losses than larger companies.

I am waiting for the bloodletting to truly begin before considering changing systems. If Pentax goes away that's not enough to stabilize other camera companies. I think that at least one of the big manufacturers need to die before the industry stabilizes, and don't trust that anyone can accurately predict which company.

Maybe Pentax and a larger company both die. I'll pick a new system from the survivors.

Or maybe 2 larger companies die. Pentax survives and picks up some of the pieces. I can stick with Pentax.

06-25-2019, 07:48 AM - 12 Likes   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I used to encourage folks who were thinking of leaving the brand to stick with it, but I no longer do that. If you're not getting what you want or your needs aren't being met, switch. Just know that, whatever you switch to, nothing is perfect or risk-free in the brands and equipment, and none of them is 100% safe in the current market. And whatever you do, don't waste time deliberating when you could and should be out taking photos and improving your skills. Don't let fretting over gear be an excuse or a reason to avoid shooting. If you should decide to switch, any of the brands will do - really, they will.

As for me...

I don't care about trends. I don't care what Tony & Chelsea think (though I do find them entertaining on occasion), and I don't care how the brand I choose to shoot is perceived by some. I don't care about buying the latest gear. I don't care what other folks shoot, and whether their gear has a better specification, better performance and/or features. I might care if one of those aspects was truly holding back my photography... but - like the majority of photographers on forums such as these - I'd be kidding myself if I said I actually needed much more than your average five year old DSLR offers. A very skilled photographer with very specific requirements might benefit from different gear, but most of us would be equally well served with any half-decent camera and lenses from any of the brands.

I do care about shooting with decent quality equipment that is built to last. I care about shooting equipment that I enjoy using. I care about great image quality from my cameras and lenses. I care about knowing my equipment well enough that I can use the plethora of features (or, at least, the subset that I need) effectively; being so familiar with every aspect of its operation that the many features, controls and menus don't get in the way of me quickly and efficiently setting up and taking shots (some years after buying my K-3, I'm just about there). I get all of this with the Pentax gear I already own, so why would I possibly think of moving away? In the unlikely event that Pentax fades out, my cameras and lenses will keep on working - and when they eventually fail, I'll either replace them with used units, or consider switching then. But if that should happen, it's a long way off... There's no point in worrying about it now...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-25-2019 at 02:23 PM.
06-25-2019, 07:59 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
For now, my K1 and lenses are worth something. If Pentax fades away, it will be worthless.
That is an interesting perspective. I did not know that Pentax had moved its cameras to a subscription platform.

Do you see Pentax fading away? How do you perceive that fact that they don't introduce really new stuff?
That is a good question, though I am an old guy and remember back when a new model every three or four years with no more than two or three models in the line being the norm.

Are you thinking of moving away from Pentax? If so, what are you looking at?
I only shop to replace when the item is either wearing out or is inadequate for the task. I don't have the financial luxury to do otherwise. At present, my kit is doing a fabulous job at what I bought it for, the same as it has been doing since 2014. If I saw a good deal on a K-1, I might bite, but there is no pressing need or "point of pain". If the K-3 were to die tomorrow, a KP or K-70 might almost fill the gap, so I have no angst.

Steve

(Tony and Chelsea?? She is pretty sharp...him, I am not so sure about...)
06-25-2019, 08:01 AM - 5 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

It's true....Pentax is fading away. It's just that they've kinda been fading for about 40 years. They ought to be shutting down any day now. Yessiree...any day now! Pentax has almost always been a bit slow. They were slow to move to a bayonet mount, slow to embrace autofocus, slow to switch to digital, and now slow to act on the mirrorless and video trends. But are they really slow...or just cautious? I tend to think it's the latter.

06-25-2019, 08:01 AM - 11 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

The way it's going, Pentax seems not interested in introducing really new stuff. Everyone is waiting for a K3 II replacement which probably will never come. They don't seem to be interested in mirrorless cameras even if that seems to be the new trend. Even Tony & Chelsea Northrup seem to think that Pentax is dying. For now, my K1 and lenses are worth something. If Pentax fades away, it will be worthless. Since I already have two Sony cameras, I might as well sell my K1 and buy an A7III with a couple of lenses. I might also be interested in a Nikon Z6. The Canon EOS RP wouldn't be a good choice because my K1 is a lot better. What do you guys think? Do you see Pentax fading away? How do you perceive that fact that they don't introduce really new stuff? I'm not thinking of the "new" KP which is not at all new. Are you thinking of moving away from Pentax? If so, what are you looking at?
I'm looking at buying Pentax stuff from people like you. It's a personal failing of mine to enjoy taking advantage of people who are making poor decisions.
06-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Identify what feature is holding you back, and if you find someone else has it, then go for it. I do question what that is though. New gear is fun. No doubt about it. It's neat opening up that box and thinking of all you can do, but the bottom line is for most of us, the cameras have more capabilities than we do. I honestly have not used all the features on my K3-II and K-1 II. I would say try to get whatever you think you want in hand first. Perhaps rent it. I got to play with a buddies D800 for a day, and when done, I was sure my K-1 was my preference.
06-25-2019, 08:10 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't care about trends. I don't care what Tony & Chelsea think (though I do find them entertaining on occasion), and I don't care how the brand I choose to shoot is perceived by some. I don't care about buying the latest gear. I don't care what other folks shoot, and whether their gear has a better specification, better performance and/or features. I might care if one of those aspects was truly holding back my photography... but - like the majority of photographers on forums such as these - I'd be kidding myself if I said I actually needed much more than your average five year old DSLR offers. A very skilled photographer with very specific requirements might benefit from different gear, but most of us would be equally well served with any half-decent camera and lenses from any of the brands.
Wow! We should have this made into a meme...a Pentax manifesto of sorts.

The lack of new models is a little discouraging and it is actually quite sad to see Pentax Rumors resorting to promoting the latest Kickstarter campaigns for camera luggage in the absence of actual rumor content. (RIP Pentax Rumors???). At the very least, it would be nice to have a few more of the long-delayed lenses hit the market. The D FA 70-200/4 is particularly needed. I might even by one, despite already having two excellent manual focus vintage lenses at that zoom range.

Steve

06-25-2019, 08:13 AM - 4 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

For now, my K1 and lenses are worth something. If Pentax fades away, it will be worthless.
If the resale value of gear is your main concern in a camera system, you should switch to Leica.
06-25-2019, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow! We should have this made into a meme...a Pentax manifesto of sorts.
Yeah... I got up on my soap box there for a bit, didn't I?

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The lack of new models is a little discouraging and it is actually quite sad to see Pentax Rumors resorting to promoting the latest Kickstarter campaigns for camera luggage in the absence of actual rumor content. (RIP Pentax Rumors???). At the very least, it would be nice to have a few more of the long-delayed lenses hit the market. The D FA 70-200/4 is particularly needed. I might even by one, despite already having two excellent manual focus vintage lenses at that zoom range.
I agree... I'd like to see the K-3II replacement released soon, so I know what APS-C body I'll be buying when it's discontinued and on close-out in three or four years time And, yes, the full frame lens line-up really ought to fill out apace...

But rumours of Pentax' demise are premature at best, I'd say.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-25-2019 at 09:07 AM.
06-25-2019, 08:20 AM - 3 Likes   #25

Tony Northrup has had an axe to grind with Ricoh/Pentax ever since he didn't receive a review copy of the K-1 he claims was promised to him by Ricoh. Nevertheless he usually gives favorable reviews of Pentax equipment even at one time calling the K-1 the best landscape camera. Since Tony and Chelsea haven't shown themselves to be astoundingly accurate and prescient market analysts I wouldn't pay them much heed. With their click-bait giveaway/contests it's fairly obvious they're after "click" traffic.
06-25-2019, 08:22 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm thinking of buying more Pentax stuff.
06-25-2019, 08:30 AM - 10 Likes   #27

And for your entertainment, the dearly departed Rupert's thoughts on "Jumpers":
Jumping ship - PentaxForums.com
06-25-2019, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #28
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Looking at it from a financial site.

- What is the investment?
- What is the overlap with your Sony gear?
- What would be the loss if selling now?
- What would be the loss if you would use your Pentax gear for another three years (the write-off would be compensate with use of gear)?
06-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
- What would be the loss if selling now?
The minimum loss with camera gear is to use the gear until it stops working, otherwise it's always more money lost. the more you switch the more money spent. Switching to another brand of same format without a strong performance improvement on images is the least cost effective operation (essentially fulfilling desire, on big waste of money). Switching to another system with significant better performance (i.e Sony A9 or moving from FF to MF) is more cost effective but still very expensive. The advice for myself is buy a full system and keep it for 10 years or until it's dead, when it's dead, evaluate what's available.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-25-2019 at 08:58 AM.
06-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Tony Northrup has had an axe to grind with Ricoh/Pentax ever since he didn't receive a review copy of the K-1 he claims was promised to him by Ricoh. Nevertheless he usually gives favorable reviews of Pentax equipment even at one time calling the K-1 the best landscape camera. Since Tony and Chelsea haven't shown themselves to be astoundingly accurate and prescient market analysts I wouldn't pay them much heed. With their click-bait giveaway/contests it's fairly obvious they're after "click" traffic.
He did predict the K1 II before anyone else did and got trashed for doing so. People said no way, they will release a K3II replacement first. He was right on that so he has some knowledge of what Pentax is doing.
Closed Thread