Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm thinking of selling all my Pentax stuff and moving elsewhere.

The way it's going, Pentax seems not interested in introducing really new stuff. Everyone is waiting for a K3 II replacement which probably will never come. They don't seem to be interested in mirrorless cameras even if that seems to be the new trend. Even Tony & Chelsea Northrup seem to think that Pentax is dying. For now, my K1 and lenses are worth something. If Pentax fades away, it will be worthless. Since I already have two Sony cameras, I might as well sell my K1 and buy an A7III with a couple of lenses. I might also be interested in a Nikon Z6. The Canon EOS RP wouldn't be a good choice because my K1 is a lot better. What do you guys think? Do you see Pentax fading away? How do you perceive that fact that they don't introduce really new stuff? I'm not thinking of the "new" KP which is not at all new. Are you thinking of moving away from Pentax? If so, what are you looking at?

06-25-2019, 07:07 AM - 7 Likes   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope, I have no intention of moving away from Pentax. We always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence; but in reality no.
If anyone is dissatisfied with Pentax, by all means move to another brand; but I've used Canon, Nikon, Panasonic (all top of the line); and am quite happy with my Pentax.

And no; I don't see Pentax fading away. Churning out new models constantly, does not make that brand any better than one that puts thought into a new model, before releasing it.

So, best of luck. We will all still be here, if you decide to return.
06-25-2019, 07:07 AM - 23 Likes   #3
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Listening to Northrup thats your problem
06-25-2019, 07:08 AM - 8 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

These lowest end whining threads only tell a sad story about the authors, no content related to photography.
Since this is not a psychological help line, lets hope the poor gear gets a new, upgraded owner soon.
Goodbye and all the best for the equipments future.
Borisletoed.

06-25-2019, 07:08 AM - 7 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did your Pentax kit stop letting you take the photos you want to take?
06-25-2019, 07:12 AM - 2 Likes   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
The way it's going, Pentax seems not interested in introducing really new stuff. Everyone is waiting for a K3 II replacement which probably will never come. They don't seem to be interested in mirrorless cameras even if that seems to be the new trend. Even Tony & Chelsea Northrup seem to think that Pentax is dying. For now, my K1 and lenses are worth something. If Pentax fades away, it will be worthless. Since I already have two Sony cameras, I might as well sell my K1 and buy an A7III with a couple of lenses. I might also be interested in a Nikon Z6. The Canon EOS RP wouldn't be a good choice because my K1 is a lot better. What do you guys think? Do you see Pentax fading away? How do you perceive that fact that they don't introduce really new stuff? I'm not thinking of the "new" KP which is not at all new. Are you thinking of moving away from Pentax? If so, what are you looking at?
I call foul until I see all your Pentax gear in the for sale section.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-25-2019 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Edited masked word ;)
06-25-2019, 07:15 AM - 3 Likes   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
These lowest end whining threads only tell a sad story about the authors, no content related to photography.
Since this is not a psychological help line, lets hope the poor gear gets a new, upgraded owner soon.
Goodbye and all the best for the equipments future.
Borisletoed.
Yes, strange; on a Pentax forum, threads are started that they "may" leave Pentax. If I leave one brand for another, I just do it; no posting that I "may" leave; to muster up attention.

06-25-2019, 07:19 AM - 18 Likes   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually think Pentax is outsmarting some of the other players, while also taking advantage of its relatively small size (and therefore lower operating costs) to avoid losing money in a shrinking core market. The company has realized that releasing new bodies every year (or even 2) is not the way to go these days, and it's skeptical about mirrorless, which in Pentax's case doesn't bring anything to the table that a DSLR can't do.

We've seen new tech developments emerging through the GR III and Theta Z1, and it's only a matter of time before we see a substantially updated DSLR to replace the K-3 II. On the other hand, re-spinning the K-1/KP's tech into a K-3-like body would probably not sell well enough to be worth it.

So, to sum up, Pentax isn't going anywhere- but if the slower pace of releases isn't keeping up with your individual needs when it comes to camera/lens hardware, then I'd say it might be reasonable to jump ship. However, this might be a short-term thing, because I think the industry as a whole will follow suit and slow down camera releases in the long term.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-25-2019, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

eagerly awaiting, the lenses and cam bodies that will come up for sale
06-25-2019, 07:21 AM - 4 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Well now everyone knows, so be prepared for plenty of lowball offers on your gear if you list it here on the marketplace.
06-25-2019, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Everyone is waiting for a K3 II replacement which probably will never come.
It will be here probably early 2020. Wait and see what comes out.
You don't necessarily need really new tech. Most cameras these days have far more features than you need.
Practice patience mate.
06-25-2019, 07:37 AM - 4 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty much every issue you have raised in this post has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. The claim "Pentax seems not interested in introducing really new stuff" is factually incorrect, as they have released "new stuff", albeit slowly, and that "new stuff" is arguably best-in-class... they have also released a re-formulated old favorite, have a high-end portrait lens on the way, and a photographer with close ties to Pentax has indicated we should expect a new APS-C flagship next year (of course just a rumor).

I could go on, but again, information is available on this forum for those who seek it out.

Last edited by luftfluss; 06-25-2019 at 09:20 AM. Reason: typo
06-25-2019, 07:40 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

The way it's going, Pentax seems not interested in introducing really new stuff.
My mind is always split between the excitement of gear novelty and being honest about my photography skills . So far, I've managed not to buy anything for the last three years, but when I look at my own skills in the mirror it doesn't feel as good as if I'd go buy a bigger camera instead .

I'm not thinking of the "new" KP which is not at all new.
Cameras aren't like Yogurt, there is nothing on the box saying "Best before 6/25/2019".

If Pentax fades away, it will be worthless.
Pentax is fading away (no mirrorless etc, only 1 camera and 1 lens in 2019 so far) , but the same lenses are more expensive than ever...

It is definitely the wrong time to switch because you may end-up with a bunch of lenses of an orphan mount. No one currently know what mirrorless mount will survive, and it's pretty sure that Canon EF and Nikon F mounts will not get more investments in the future. My advice, wait a couple of years and then reassess the situation.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-25-2019 at 07:55 AM.
06-25-2019, 07:40 AM - 8 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope I never get sat next to you on a long haul flight. Cheer up.
06-25-2019, 07:44 AM - 3 Likes   #15
dbs
Pentaxian

Look I'll give you a $100 dollars for everything since its no good....deal ?..
Closed Thread