Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’m with Adam on this being at least somewhat strategic.

The entire industry is shrinking. Nikon and Canon are pursuing a strategy that lets them charge more for capabilities that would be incremental if not associated with a new mount. Long term, it may save them money as fewer moving parts means cheaper cameras to make, and that may keep them profitable enough to survive.

Pentax can’t really take that route and still differentiate itself, so it’s doing something different.

It isn’t on my schedule (I wanted the 70-200 f4 in spring), it isn’t always in my budget (how much for a 50mm f1.4?!), and it doesn’t do everything I want (4K...) If any of that was crucial, I’d have already switched...

But I think they’ll have some cool stuff out this year, and I’m not worried about them disappearing in the next few years. Even if they do, the industry changes, and my needs change, so I may have moved on to something else anyway...

-Eric

06-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #32
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The minimum loss with camera gear is to use the gear until it stops working, otherwise it's always more money lost. the more you switch the more money spent. Switching to another brand of same format without a strong performance improvement on images is the least cost effective operation (essentially fulfilling desire, on big waste of money). Switching to another system with significant better performance (i.e Sony A9 or moving from FF to MF) is more cost effective but still very expensive. The advice for myself is buy a full system and keep it for 10 years or until it's dead, when it's dead, evaluate what's available.
Ofcourse, but his gear isn't brandnew today. So some of it may be bought in 2016 when K-1 came or even older. People have to except that camera gear depreciates over time as a fact of life. So his loss may be smaller today then he thinks, because his gear lost value over the past years already.

I wrote an article about some years ago (in Dutch).
http://www.pentaxforum.nl/smf/index.php?topic=20288.100
If you realise that a camera and lenses loose value over time (as cars and computers and furniture) you know what costs are there to take as "normal costs". A 2000 euro K-1 that has a lifetime of 6 years (maybe more, but who knows) will depreciates with 25 euro every month. If you loose more then that due to shorter use, those extra euro's are your extra losses and not the 25 euro to start with.
06-25-2019, 09:33 AM - 5 Likes   #33
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
And for your entertainment, the dearly departed Rupert's thoughts on "Jumpers":
Jumping ship - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for the reminder. Rupert Otis really could hit the nail on the head - with precision
06-25-2019, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #34
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I used to encourage folks who were thinking of leaving the brand to stick with it, but I no longer do that. If you're not getting what you want or your needs aren't being met, switch. Just know that, whatever you switch to, nothing is perfect or risk-free in the brands and equipment, and none of them is 100% safe in the current market. And whatever you do, don't waste time deliberating when you could and should be out taking photos and improving your skills. Don't let fretting over gear be an excuse or a reason to avoid shooting. If you should decide to switch, any of the brands will do - really, they will.

As for me...

I don't care about trends. I don't care what Tony & Chelsea think (though I do find them entertaining on occasion), and I don't care how the brand I choose to shoot is perceived by some. I don't care about buying the latest gear. I don't care what other folks shoot, and whether their gear has a better specification, better performance and/or features. I might care if one of those aspects was truly holding back my photography... but - like the majority of photographers on forums such as these - I'd be kidding myself if I said I actually needed much more than your average five year old DSLR offers. A very skilled photographer with very specific requirements might benefit from different gear, but most of us would be equally well served with any half-decent camera and lenses from any of the brands.

I do care about shooting with decent quality equipment that is built to last. I care about shooting equipment that I enjoy using. I care about great image quality from my cameras and lenses. I care about knowing my equipment well enough that I can use the plethora of features (or, at least, the subset that I need) effectively; being so familiar with every aspect of its operation that the many features, controls and menus don't get in the way of me quickly and efficiently setting up and taking shots (some years after buying my K-3, I'm just about there). I get all of this with the Pentax gear I already own, so why would I possibly think of moving away? In the unlikely event that Pentax fades away, my cameras and lenses will keep on working. And when they fail, I'll either replace them with used units, or consider switching then. But if that should happen, it's a long way off... There's no point in worrying about it now...
Nothing needs to be added; this sums it up beautifully!

06-25-2019, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

That's how Canon, Nikon, Sony etc. suck you in. By coming out with new stuff every 6 months to a year they created the got to have newer and better syndrome. Usually those dissatisfied with their own talent like to blame it on the gear so instead of putting sincere effort to learn they chase whatever the marketing strategies are putting out there and switch companies based on the feature hype instead of learning what they have and improving their skills. Regardless of all the new fancy features nothing can replace solid knowledge of composition, lighting, exposure and the skill to use it. So if you feel the need to chase something different be our guest & good luck to you.

PS... Anybody who puts much credence in Tony Northup or Ken Rockwell is in deep toro poo poo

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-25-2019 at 09:46 AM.
06-25-2019, 09:47 AM - 4 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two things:
  1. If you want to worry about the value of your gear declining buy 60 manual primes and watch them sit in a drawer.
  2. My goal is to take pictures. My K10D, K-01, K5lls, KP and K-1 still take the pictures they took when new.
  3. So do my KX, MX and LX.
OK, three things.
06-25-2019, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was showing someone my Ricoh GR III and she said "so it's a mirrorless"? and I had to say "well, sort of..."

06-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #38
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Two things:
  1. If you want to worry about the value of your gear declining buy 60 manual primes and watch them sit in a drawer.
  2. My goal is to take pictures. My K10D, K-01, K5lls, KP and K-1 still take the pictures they took when new.
  3. So do my KX, MX and LX.
OK, three things.
Well if you bought the right LX you even would have made money over time.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/filmcameratokyo/item/10217980/
06-25-2019, 10:12 AM - 16 Likes   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember when I was laughed at using a Pentax camera for news photos.
I remember when I was told if I was going to be serious about photography I had to dump Pentax.
I remember joining a photo club and being told do not waste your time with contest entries using a Pentax.

So let's see:
My news photos won awards.
As a freelancer I made a fair amount of coin that allowed me to buy new Pentax gear and pay some of the bills.
I quit the photo club.

To prove a point when teaching a basic photo course I reduced the fan boys and their fancy white lenses to tears when the first assignment was using a disposable camera. The point it is the eye behind the camera not the camera that makes the photograph.

Retired back to Freelancing and that silly Pentax equipment still pays part of the bills and I find I am turning down work. I like the retired stage of life and shooting whatever, whenever now most of the time.

My only complaint about Pentax - and it is not really a Pentax problem but trying to reason with the wife why I need (fill in the lenses here) and not kill the budget. I will give her credit when it came to the K1 Mark II..... only response after making my case was go for it.
06-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well if you bought the right LX you even would have made money over time.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/filmcameratokyo/item/10217980/
That’s just silly, Ron.
06-25-2019, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Regardless of all the new fancy features nothing can replace solid knowledge of composition, lighting, exposure and the skill to use it.
Ever seen exquisite cabinetry and furniture made with antique/vintage tools? It's the skill of the craftsman that makes all the difference. As a guitar player, I know that top pros can take a so-so guitar and make it sing and dance. "It's a poor workman that blames his tools."
06-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
I would say, don't sell the K-1 - keep it. If you want to get rid of K mount lenses - get rid of the ones with no value or you don't use and keep the one(s) you love. Then, invest/spend money in the other system. Sometime down the line, you'd want to shoot with the K-1 for fun again and it will be rewarding
06-25-2019, 11:03 AM - 8 Likes   #43

Looks like most people here are happy with the Pentax they have. And quite rightly so.

Life, for me at least, is complex enough without having to change systems. It must be such a faff, doing all the research, selling the products from previous research, loosing out financially hand over fist, and then having to go through the new learning curve that goes with a different system. It would only frustrate me to find out that the new camera did not improve my photography.

It's not a question of brand loyalty, more a case of enjoying the perfectly good and durable equipment which I already have, and just occasionally enhancing it with another lens or maybe a camera if Pentax offers something I might enjoy or find useful. The slow rate at which Ricoh release new equipment makes these gradual additions possible without putting me in debt or requiring me to sell an old lens or body which I have an established photographic relationship with.

Yes it's nice as it is to open a box with something new inside, however I do find it much more rewarding to open up or print a freshly taken photograph that illustrates improvement in personal photographic skills. The moment when my partner says, "Welll, that really is a beautiful photograph Ronnie, you should be very proud of it. Would you print it out for me, please?" matters more than anything else.
06-25-2019, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
Yes it's nice as it is to open a box with something new inside, however I do find it much more rewarding to open up or print a freshly taken photograph that illustrates improvement in personal photographic skills. The moment when my partner says, "Welll, that really is a beautiful photograph Ronnie, you should be very proud of it. Would you print it out for me, please?" matters more than anything else.
That nails it.
06-25-2019, 11:12 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
The way it's going, Pentax seems not interested in introducing really new stuff. Everyone is waiting for a K3 II replacement which probably will never come. They don't seem to be interested in mirrorless cameras even if that seems to be the new trend. Even Tony & Chelsea Northrup seem to think that Pentax is dying. For now, my K1 and lenses are worth something. If Pentax fades away, it will be worthless. Since I already have two Sony cameras, I might as well sell my K1 and buy an A7III with a couple of lenses. I might also be interested in a Nikon Z6. The Canon EOS RP wouldn't be a good choice because my K1 is a lot better. What do you guys think? Do you see Pentax fading away? How do you perceive that fact that they don't introduce really new stuff? I'm not thinking of the "new" KP which is not at all new. Are you thinking of moving away from Pentax? If so, what are you looking at?
Since you seem so worried about the K-3ii replacement, I thought you had a K-7/5/3 camera, but reading a second time, I see you have a K-1. I will guess that camera works as well today as it did yesterday. If you did have a K-7/5/3 and desperately needed a new camera, as I did four years ago when my Canon Rebel just plain died, then you might have a reason to panic. Ricoh has said the next DSLR will be the K-3ii replacement, but that may be a few months away. The KP and K-1ii might not be "new". but unless I were switching to MILC, I cannot think of a camera on the market today that is 'better'; I am glad that Pentax hasn't seen a need to fall into the trap of having to introduce a "new" camera every year, even if the only thing new is the name.
Closed Thread