Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Nope,still perfectly happy with the results I get from my K5ii and pair of lenses.Some folk should,perhaps,spend less time worrying about their equipment and more time taking photos?!
My feelings exactly. I have a K-5 and K-3 and both of them fulfill all of my needs.

06-25-2019, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think most people have kind of said everything I'm going to say... always late

I think that cameras are so much more capable than most people need. I have a K-3 and K-1 (after giving away K-5 prior), and I feel like I have barely touched the surface of what either can do. It would be wrong of me to say that they don't have flaws (ex: K-1 is a perfect camera IMO, except for the sometimes painful RAW buffer and fps!; using my K-3 makes me long for the higher resolution/dynamic range/noise capabilities of my K-1; Got a Pana G85 specifically for video), but there is something nice about the process that it takes to make my vision a reality. I've used Canon/Nikon/Sony/Panasonic, and feel like there's less 'photography' involved. As counter as this may seem to the above, Pentax has made me be more patient and be more purposeful with how/when I use my camera or change my settings. There's something nice about taking a photo and knowing that its because I set that shot up all by myself, and encourages me to improve my skills/technique for the times when the same moments continue to come up. When I've used other company's (high-end) cameras, I feel like I get to take the short-cut a lot more, and forfeit my own personal skill(s).

There's also something nice about supporting a company that I think just gets things right! I like what Pentax stands for... dual scroll-wheels, IBIS, class leading weather-sealing, green button!!!, K-mount compatibility (you mean the lens that fits on my K-1 can also work on my k1000? = blows kids minds), Pixel shift, AA-simulator (what is this sorcery??), durability (look the other way at k-30/50); are all standard on even their entry-level offerings (still remember when I decided to give up film and get my first digital camera, and I saw a military guy poor sand and drench his camera in water... probably never do that, but that's what build quality means). I was talking with my brother's wife when she was thinking about getting getting a Nikon 5600 kit that she thought was affordable (for $600). Look at the Nikon 5600/Canon t7i/etc and (like I told her), one scroll wheel, no weather-sealing, no IBIS would be a HARD pass. She would end up getting a KP for $625: Dual scroll wheel, IBIS, weather-sealing, green button, Pixel-shift, noise capabilities that IMO beat my K-1, that cool grey focus-peaking thing that makes me jealous (why is this not on my K-1 through firmware update?.. I know, I rarely ever use this :sigh, all packed into a size smaller than most mirrorless. I like a company who doesn't seem to put a camera out for cameras sake... and strongly think that when people criticize Pentax, they mean when comparing all of the flagships. You have to get up to the 80D/7500 ($800) to even rival what you find in a K-3 ($350-400). It's true that the K-1ii is the first camera where I shook my head.

I talk to my students about photographer and cameras, and it is true that it takes a certain type of person to own a Pentax camera. I tell them that you have to be okay with the waiting game! Other companies will come out with camera after camera: ### AF points, edge to edge, joystick, silent shooting, FPS until your battery dies or you die, 4k/8k, 60p/120p, 6k photo mode, 50/100MP, 8-bit/10-bit, my battery grip allows me to _____... and the list goes on... or that new 3rd-party lens comes out for everyone but you. Meanwhile you're sitting there with the same camera from 4-5 years ago with zero indication that anything is happening or the flash/lens you have to buy is from 2012 (that Tamron 70-200 2.8 at %60 discount... but hey).

I do think that Pentax is at a crossroads though. I think the reason the K-1ii was such a dud/non-factor, was because Pentax might be in a bottle-neck where they realize that whatever they release is going to be a small improvement. I respect Pentax because they release cameras for a purpose. I remember thinking that the jump from K-5 to K-3 was significant (16 to 24, 2 card slot, 11 to 27 focus point, AA-simulator, 12800 to 51200 ISO), and then K-1 was basically a 810 with cram-packed features somehow at half the price. I might be wrong?, but we might not have gotten a new camera because there truly isn't anything new. They might also have exhausted anymore new numbers (K-0, K-2?). Like I wrote in that Essay Giveaway awhile back. Pentax is slow, but you can be assured that the camera they give you will last you until the next one (giving you time to appreciate and develop your newest skills), and the wait will be very worth it once something in the numbers finally drops...

Last edited by landofcourtness; 06-25-2019 at 05:58 PM.
06-25-2019, 06:19 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Always find that those who moan loudest about equipment are the weakest photographers. They don't understand that a new camera or lens is not going to make their pictures any better.
Spot on!

Looking at photographers who've moved between brands (including from this forum, I won't name them to spare embarrassment), seeing the photos they take with their new gear - no difference!

All they did was change the camera, they didn't change the photographer.
06-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with the last comment about different brands and same results. Fits my case well, cant tell really what camera took what photo, I only bought other brands to save size and weight. Would I sell my Pentax gear? nope.

I own an Olympus kit, they are doomed also, got a Canon EF-M kit also, they are doomed too. No hope for me then, I am worse off then you.

06-25-2019, 07:02 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have three. If you want one, just send me some money and it's yours.
You never said how much, so I'm wiring over 5 dollars. I hope to see an LX in my mailbox soon!
06-25-2019, 07:13 PM - 2 Likes   #81
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
You never said how much, so I'm wiring over 5 dollars. I hope to see an LX in my mailbox soon!
No problem. The shipping is US$300.00.
06-25-2019, 07:15 PM - 2 Likes   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Listening to Northrup thats your problem
Amen!!

06-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
My K1 is my main camera. I use it all the time but not for everything. I used to have a Pentax DA300mm lens with a gimbal and a solid Manfrotto tripod but frankly, I found this stuff too heavy to lug around, I'm not young anymore at 74. So I sold the 300mm and the heavy tripod with the gimbal. I finally got a Sony RX10 Mark IV with a 24-600mm f:2.4 Zeiss lens builtin that I use for birding. It has IBIS and using it at 1/640 sec, I don't need a tripod at all but I have a nice carbon fiber Manfrotto for other needs. This has solved my birding problem. With a shooting rate of 25 frames/second with constant focus tracking in RAW, it's perfect. I also use it for video because my K1 is not the best for that as you all know. Of course, the Sony is not as good as my K1 because the sensor is only 1 inch. It is quite good when the light is right but raising the ISO adds some noise. When I want to do some street shooting or just carry a camera around, I have a nice Sony RX100 Mark III that fits in my shirt pocket. None of these Sony can replace my K1 but they fill some needs. Just for fun, I have been looking at other full frame cameras by Nikon, Sony and Canon and always find that Pentax gives the best bang for the buck. Like someone said before, Pentax offers interesting features that others don't even dream about. It's a shame that Pentax marketing reminds me of Commodore when they sold the Amiga computer many years ago. The had the absolute best computer that you could buy at any price but didn't know how to market it. I don't intend to sell my K1 because it has all the features I could want. What I have to work on is my picture taking that could be better. I'm working on it a lot. I enclose a picture I took in a week long workshop I attended 2 weeks ago. K1 with 28-105 kit lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-25-2019, 07:41 PM - 3 Likes   #84
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
I don't intend to sell my K1 because it has all the features I could want.
Guess I'm confused with this statement, and the thread title: "I'm thinking of selling all my Pentax stuff & moving elsewhere"
06-25-2019, 07:53 PM - 2 Likes   #85
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm afraid that Pentax isn't going anywhere and that my equipment might become worthless if Pentax folds.
That is an unreasonable fear. The value of your gear is what you extract from it. Consider your camera to be fully depreciated at five years and don't worry about its value at market to offset the cost of a replacement.

Steve
06-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #86

The way it's going, Pentax seems not interested in introducing really new stuff.
Pentax doesn't move at the same rate as other companies. Other companies might move at a faster rate, but move in a different direction. New doesn't always equate to better.

Everyone is waiting for a K3 II replacement which probably will never come.
Even if it never gets released, is it an issue for you if you were not in the market in the first place?

Even Tony & Chelsea Northrup seem to think that Pentax is dying.
Tony also thinks ISO is fake.

For now, my K1 and lenses are worth something. If Pentax fades away, it will be worthless.
Are you sure? Who knows what the market demand will be for Pentax IF they were to fade away. The demand for niche, vintage, and discontinued goods on the secondary market might surprise you. Contax comes to mind (in the photo world).

Since I already have two Sony cameras, I might as well sell my K1 and buy an A7III with a couple of lenses. I might also be interested in a Nikon Z6. The Canon EOS RP wouldn't be a good choice because my K1 is a lot better. What do you guys think?
I think you need to figure out what exactly you are looking to accomplish.

You mentioned the following:
- A7III: A fifth generation mirrorless
- RP: A first generation, entry level mirrorless
- Z6: A first generation, enthusiast mirrorless

Without delving into the minutia, three completely different tiers of camera.

You can't fault the K1, if the only justifications spun up for purchasing an A7III were:
- Tony and Chelsea
- You already have two Sony Cameras
- K3II replacement may never come

K1 can't help you there. It can take pictures, though....

Do you see Pentax fading away?
Can't answer that. I haven't looked at their earnings. I prefer to use cameras, not dabble in defense of their P&L and quarterlies. Why?
- I don't work for them, I don't invest in them
- They don't profit share for my advocacy
- They pay people to dabble in that (their employees) and I pay for their cameras...pretty simple relationship, really...

How do you perceive that fact that they don't introduce really new stuff?
I don't expect them to move as fast as Canon or Nikon. I expect them to move at a pace that is in line with profitability while working to meet consumer demands.

I love Nikon. Nikon dropped two turd muffin mirrorless cameras (they are actually good cameras...but it serves as an example of company direction vs. customer interest) in place of building enough 500mm f/5.6 lenses. Yea, new stuff from Nikon. 'Great.'

Last edited by sutherland; 06-25-2019 at 08:12 PM.
06-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #87
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Films were getting better and better from the 1960s well into the 1990s.
...a trend that continues to today.

Steve
06-25-2019, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, look how long it took Pentax to come out with a FF model, after everyone else had theirs for years and were on their 3rd or 4th generation. And when it finally did come, how good has it turned out to be? Worth the wait?

There's nothing wrong at all wth what you are doing- acquiring yet another type of camera and lens to meet a particular need.

---------- Post added 06-25-19 at 08:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Sensors improved little since the introduction of the K-5 in 2010. There are more pixels, but overal the sensor almost reached peak then.
Agreed. This was a major step forward, and the K-5's dynamic range and fine IQ are still admirable, and it still does well with low light/higher ISO. I most often shoot with my KP, but I still grab my K-5 IIs when I need or want its control layout and that body style with a particular lens, including one of the power zoom feature type. And I still marvel at the results it can deliver!

---------- Post added 06-25-19 at 09:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But here's the thing... Whilst sensors are still improving (today's parallel to film back then), such improvements are becoming increasingly incremental and marginal. The 2017 Pentax KP - excellent little camera though it is - relies on a slightly improved sensor and clever in-line noise reduction to achieve its undoubtedly impressive raw files. But I can get surprisingly close to those results - not quite, but close - with my 2013-vintage K-3. Yes, it requires a little more work in raw development post-processing... but not much. That's no criticism of the KP... rather, it shows how little sensors of the same class are improving in recent years. That we can take pretty high quality raw photos at ISO 100 - 6400 is remarkable, and that covers most users' needs. So... the need to frequently upgrade in today's digital photography world (and the extent of benefits therein) is fast diminishing...
Absolutely. We have been at diminishing returns for a good while now. My K-5 IIs is even more vintage! I took the step in adding the KP because of the concept of superb IQ with exceptional low light performance along with its quality build and unique controls in an even more compact design. For all this, the price I paid during a special by B&H was a very good value. Pentax has long been a leader in putting out an outstanding well-designed DSLR model having unique features, yet in a more compact body than the competition. They were even doing this with their film SLR designs!

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-25-2019 at 09:29 PM.
06-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I actually think Pentax is outsmarting some of the other players, while also taking advantage of its relatively small size (and therefore lower operating costs) to avoid losing money in a shrinking core market. The company has realized that releasing new bodies every year (or even 2) is not the way to go these days, and it's skeptical about mirrorless, which in Pentax's case doesn't bring anything to the table that a DSLR can't do.

We've seen new tech developments emerging through the GR III and Theta Z1, and it's only a matter of time before we see a substantially updated DSLR to replace the K-3 II. On the other hand, re-spinning the K-1/KP's tech into a K-3-like body would probably not sell well enough to be worth it.

So, to sum up, Pentax isn't going anywhere- but if the slower pace of releases isn't keeping up with your individual needs when it comes to camera/lens hardware, then I'd say it might be reasonable to jump ship. However, this might be a short-term thing, because I think the industry as a whole will follow suit and slow down camera releases in the long term.
I was about to write this post, then I saw it it front of me. Let me add that Pentax is the only company vertically integrated from sub apsc through medium format, and from medium format downwards through apsc the lenses can be adapted to use for the smaller formats. This includes 6x7 legacy lenses.

I will underline the part about being smart about its relatively small size and playing to strengths. I will add that they have Ricoh behind them. I bet Nikon wishes they had a company like Ricoh behind them, after a breathtaking 28% 1st quarter drop in sales in Japan.
06-26-2019, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #90
Loyal Site Supporter

People in Pentax need internal fortitude and a sense of personal calm.

In our 21st century, 24/7/365, nonosecond news cycle world, with one of the leaders of one of the world's major countries bleating out tweets all day, and the entire news media ecosystem breathlessly adding them to the nanosecond news cycle, plus the Argus-eyed media, news and otherwise, seeing all everywhere all the time, and feeding that into the news cycle-----

It's understandable that this new (ab)normal would tend to lead a person to be unnerved when confronted with Pentax's slow and steady philosophy.

Pentax is just not that kind of company, and really never was.

So, I think we are not being altogether kind to the OP, casting aspersions on their photo abilities, etc. The position is understandable. Heck, every day I visit SonyAlphaRumors for my daily fix of new and different, and I haven't had a Sony camera (and I LOVED them) for more than 2 years. I'm not immune from a bit of thrill chasing, vicariously. I also visit scale modelling websites for vicarious pleasure---I have zee-ro time to build models anymore, love it though I did at one time.

With my kit, a Z, and upgraded K1, and 26 lenses(? I lose track! due to sell a few...) between them both, plus teleconverters, flashes, and etc., I know beyond a shadow of a doubt where the image making bottleneck is for me today. Hint: it's not in the gear, although the computer could use a boost....I guess there's always something to upgrade.... ;-}

PS: all that kit would have been impossible for me to purchase in any other system but Pentax, and not just because no other system offers it all---financially as well!
Closed Thread