Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2019, 07:40 AM - 3 Likes   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Even Tony & Chelsea Northrup seem to think that Pentax is dying
That nut said you don't have to ever set ISO, just fix it in post. If you listen to Tony Northrup, you are already lost.

I used to watch Digital Rev TV on youtube before Kai left. They had a good series with professional photographers taking pictures with toy cameras. One was a pink Barbie camera. How can they do that if the equipment is everything? Ever see a thread here called the 6MP club? Check it out. How can you take great photos with just 6MP? Impossible! Yeah, the Cannon-Nikonites think that too.

My 2c

Jack

*edit*
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/347661-six-megapixel-club.html

06-26-2019, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Only reason I would change to other brand is if I suddenly start to like making videos - and I don't see that happening within next 20 years...
06-26-2019, 10:05 AM - 2 Likes   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just love taking pictures. I don't care what I use.

My K-3 has 70,000 clicks left on it, how many does your's have? (200,000 shutter actuations it's rated for).

If there is not another K-3 replacement before my shutter goes, I'll buy a K-P.

What you do really makes no difference to me. Why do you ask? Are you going to do what I say?
I hate offering advice that gets ignored.

All that time and effort for nothing.

Last edited by normhead; 06-29-2019 at 01:02 PM.
06-26-2019, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #94
Veteran Member

I don't want to rain on the OP bashing parade, but I read the OP's comment and no where did he state by switching to another brand he would take better pictures or become a better photographer. I'm not sure why so many posting here seem to think this was the case. I actually think the OP's real intention was to see how many people would jump in and defend the brand and get a new conversation going on how great Pentax is.

This conversation of jumping ship continually shows up, and the defenders continually reply. Maybe by ignoring these types of threads and giving them zero responses these threads will gradually disappear.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-28-2019 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Language
06-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that Pentax does not release future products for a pretty good reason. They have missed release dates on just about everything over the last several years. Lots of good reasons for this. Most of them around taking a realistic look at what it is going to take to get the product out to market.

Having spent a lot of time supporting manufacturing, publicized release dates are the devil incarnate. Design engineering has a meeting on proposal. Marketing wants it tomorrow, sales wants it yesterday. Manufacturing is saying "Are we going to have any say in this?" Answer was always no. I remember one meeting where everyone was screaming at design and manufacturing to get the product out. Hard to commit to a date if specs are always changing. One flustered engineer finally looked at the head of sales and asked "How come we never have time to do it right but we always seem to have time to do it over?" Amazing how statements of truth always seem to silence a room.

Like it or not, the slow pace or product releases on Pentax and Ricoh branded products has allowed them to put out some pretty solid and reliable pieces of gear. They seem to be allowing their engineers the time to do it right. I cant complain about that. Any product that they have put out in the last 7 years that I was an early adopter of has never let me down.
06-26-2019, 11:10 AM - 2 Likes   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Listening to Northrup thats your problem
I watch their YouTube channel when I want to feel annoyed
06-26-2019, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
That nut said you don't have to ever set ISO, just fix it in post.
It's called "ISO invariance" and it is a real thing.

Can't comment further without knowing the context of Tony's statement.

06-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It's called "ISO invariance" and it is a real thing.

Can't comment further without knowing the context of Tony's statement.
You mean like - film?
06-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #99
Pentaxian

I bought my K200D in 2008 and still use it from time to time. It does Pit duty at the races these days. I picked up my K-3 in 2014 and will continue to use it until it gives up the ghost. They've both been outstanding performers over the last 11 years for the K200D and 5 years for the K-3. I see no need to run out and upgrade every time something newer comes along.

From my K200D doing Pit Duty a couple of weeks ago at New Martinsville, WV.

From my K-3 doing Race Duty a couple of weeks ago at New Martinsville, WV
06-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You mean like - film?
Is it? I honestly have no idea I mean, any meathead (like me) can push the exposure slider in their PP program of choice, whereas in film developing there are more variables and greater skill required of the user.
06-26-2019, 01:20 PM - 8 Likes   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always enjoy these threads, not so much for the initial posts, but more for the responses. We are definitely reaching the point at which camera brands should slow the release of new cameras, even if they don't. The rumor is that Sony is working on the A9 II, but what is it going to feature, 25 fps, 80 megapixels, 6K video? It could very well feature all of those things and still not make a difference to anyone interested in still photography.

It is hard to imagine all of the current players surviving the MILC blood bath that is coming. Sony is probably in best shape as the first (full frame MILC maker), Canon seems to have a pretty coherent plan, and Fuji has Instax money to burn, at least at the moment, but Olympus and Nikon both feel a bit tenuous going forward -- particularly Nikon as they are currently sinking a bunch of money into developing new cameras which aren't selling at the rates they want. Pentax's conservatism actually could help them in a shrinking market.

Certainly now is not the time I would choose to release a raft of new cameras and lenses.

It is pretty clear that Pentax is planning to continue with SLR development rather than MILC, that they are working on updates to their current cameras that will feature some things that stand out from the competition.

In the end, it is about the image, about creating something that you (and your friends) enjoy looking at and to me, Pentax cameras and lenses are very satisfying to use and produce excellent results.

06-26-2019, 01:36 PM - 5 Likes   #102
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
In the end, it is about the image, about creating something that you (and your friends) enjoy looking at and to me, Pentax cameras and lenses are very satisfying to use and produce excellent results.
Well said. And, may I say, beautiful photos to support your point.

In support of my earlier point re high ISO capability of the six-year-old, long-discontinued 2013-vintage K-3 when compared to newer cameras, I humbly offer the following recent photo (cross-posted from the Photo Sharing Forum). This was taken on a very dull day at ISO 4,000. The only noise reduction I applied in post was colour-based... I chose to leave the luminance noise "as is" to preserve detail - because that's one of the key things to this otherwise quite basic shot; the feather detail, which - even at ISO 4,000 - is really rather good. And it stands scrutiny at larger reproduction sizes too - though you'll have to take my word for that

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-26-2019 at 01:41 PM.
06-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #103

As to my Pentax cameras, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!! ("Molon Labe").

JB
06-26-2019, 02:20 PM - 4 Likes   #104
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

You listen to $$$ony and Chelsea?
She's quite decorative if you turn the speakers off.
06-26-2019, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #105
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
She's quite decorative if you turn the speakers off.
ROFL!
Closed Thread