Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2019, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
My nearest large camera store in Portland, Maine
You are lucky! I have not found any store on the west coast that stocks anything except vintage stuff.

06-27-2019, 09:39 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Compared with 20 years ago, here in the Detroit area there are next to no camera stores. There used to be a couple of them right here in my neighborhood, but they are long gone. I know of only two remaining, far apart in other districts. In other areas of the country where I often travel, there used to be some but now they are also gone. What we have been reduced to is a few DSLR cameras and a few mirrorless ILCs in general appliance stores, where amid refrigerators, washing machines, microwave ovens, stoves, 4K TV's, laptop computers, etc. in the corner are all of those few brands of cameras of which none are Pentax. With such a minor concern for any brand of ILC, only major brands are taking up the very limited space available. There are lots of smartphones, of course.

That does not mean smartphones really can replace a good DSLR, it simply means there is less interest at this point in the advantages a DSLR can bring.

I do believe it to be best that Pentax perfects whatever it is they are working on rather than putting out something less sooner. Others can afford to string along their customers with a new model every couple of years, with one small advancement at a time. I would rather see a new model that is clearly superior to the previous model, and therefore one that will bring satisfaction for a very long period of time. That is doing something right, doing a thorough job, and providing customers with a good stable product.

I am still very fond of my K-5 IIs, even after acquiring the very fine KP, which I love, and that says a lot about Pentax longevity.
06-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
My nearest large camera store in Portland, Maine has had K-1s and the new GR III to play with, although the GR was sold out in a few days after release. they don't carry much, but their senior salesperson is a big fan. And I always ask about Pentax products while I am spending my money on accessories and things there.
The local 6-store chain where I bought my K-1 and DFA28-105 no longer stocks Pentax. They can’t even order it - they gave up the Dealer Agreement.
06-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #49

Camera West in Seattle shuttered (pun intended) their doors and windows years ago. They were a Pentax dealer. I can't say if there are any stores in Portland OR that stock Pentax gear. You would have to get down to San Francisco to Samy's Camera which should have the K-1 mk II. They will special order the 645z too. The two Samy's Camera near me in Los Angeles area have the K-1 mk II in stock.