Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you have a problem...

...removing a certain lens from your camera?

I'm having a BIG problem getting my M50/1.7 off my camera. No problem with the camera. Just a problem with me. I am really enjoying this lens!

Thoughts? Do you have a problem with a certain lens in your current collection?

03-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
...removing a certain lens from your camera?

I'm having a BIG problem getting my M50/1.7 off my camera. No problem with the camera. Just a problem with me. I am really enjoying this lens!

Thoughts? Do you have a problem with a certain lens in your current collection?
You Know Alvin, Your title leaves a lot to the imagination (Do you have a problem)
Man I have lots.
It takes a while to get that M 50mm f1.7 off any camera I had the same problem when I bought mine. and the same problem when I bought the 50-200mm.
I think it has something to do with the 50's
03-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I got the same illness. As soon as I try to take my M50 1.7 off the hands start to shake.
As a side issue I went on a schoolcamp with my son this week. I brought the kit lens and the F70-210 to cover the range and before I left I picked up the M50 1.7 just in case. Well most of the activities was in the bush on cloudy days and boy was I glad I brought the 1.7. Even going down to 1.7 the shutterspeed at ISO 400 was only 1/60 in some situations.

Cheers

Eddie
03-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Eddie, theres a m50/1.7 on trademe just now, only at about $20. Closes soon, do you want another (one for each hand)?

03-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've never had any trouble with mounting a 50mm. Check your lens's bayonet- it might be damaged

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep Alvin I had that problem a bit with the FA 50 1.4, and a bit with the Tamron 90 macro (that stupid lens just DOESN'T want to come off near flowers) but the most problem I have with that is the SMC 50 1.2. When that sucker gets on the DS it hurts like heck getting it off. It's kinda like those bandaids you had as a kid, the ones that took of 3 layers of skin when your mom pulled them off. The best way is to just grit your teeth, embrace the pain, and twist that little guy right off. Don't think about how much it's gonna hurt, 'cause then it will never come off, and unlike the bandaid, soaking it off in the bathtub is NOT RECOMMENDED!

NaCl(I've heard the the real pros don't even wince when they take their's off but I think thats a rumor)H2O
03-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
You Know Alvin, Your title leaves a lot to the imagination (Do you have a problem)
Can I say, "GOTCHA!" ?

QuoteQuote:
Man I have lots.
It takes a while to get that M 50mm f1.7 off any camera I had the same problem when I bought mine. and the same problem when I bought the 50-200mm.
I think it has something to do with the 50's
I dunno. I had a similar problem with the fisheye too. Get that thing around some kids and when they see the pictures - ooh they can't stop giggling or putting their fingers on the glass!

Last edited by Alvin; 03-01-2007 at 09:35 PM.
03-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mingdie Quote
I got the same illness. As soon as I try to take my M50 1.7 off the hands start to shake.
As a side issue I went on a schoolcamp with my son this week. I brought the kit lens and the F70-210 to cover the range and before I left I picked up the M50 1.7 just in case. Well most of the activities was in the bush on cloudy days and boy was I glad I brought the 1.7. Even going down to 1.7 the shutterspeed at ISO 400 was only 1/60 in some situations.

Cheers

Eddie
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I've never had any trouble with mounting a 50mm. Check your lens's bayonet- it might be damaged
No, not a problem with the bayonet. I checked it before I mounted it. I really think it's a problem with me. It's almost like Eddie but my hand doesn't shake. I touch that button on my camera body to release the lens, give the lens not even a 1/16th of a turn and then I turn it back and hear the "click"...I breath a sigh of relief and continue shooting.

03-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Yep Alvin I had that problem a bit with the FA 50 1.4, and a bit with the Tamron 90 macro (that stupid lens just DOESN'T want to come off near flowers) but the most problem I have with that is the SMC 50 1.2. When that sucker gets on the DS it hurts like heck getting it off. It's kinda like those bandaids you had as a kid, the ones that took of 3 layers of skin when your mom pulled them off. The best way is to just grit your teeth, embrace the pain, and twist that little guy right off. Don't think about how much it's gonna hurt, 'cause then it will never come off, and unlike the bandaid, soaking it off in the bathtub is NOT RECOMMENDED!

NaCl(I've heard the the real pros don't even wince when they take their's off but I think thats a rumor)H2O
Hmmm...I don't know if there is pain when I remove the lens. I just find it too difficult to give the lens a full twist to remove it. I'll give that a try tomorrow.
03-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For a second I thought you meant that it was figuratively hard to dismount the K50/1.2 haha. ouch. I never really notice any problems with my lenses. Although maybe its the electrical contacts on the kmount plate. They are kinda raised and add friction. If your camera is set to AF, that AF drive head will also make unlocking the lens a pain.
03-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
For a second I thought you meant that it was figuratively hard to dismount the K50/1.2 haha. ouch. I never really notice any problems with my lenses. Although maybe its the electrical contacts on the kmount plate. They are kinda raised and add friction. If your camera is set to AF, that AF drive head will also make unlocking the lens a pain.
Pete, lol - we both need some sleep man. I was joking around.

Psychologically, I can't remove this lens from the camera body. I'm having so much fun using it that I just feel torn when I try to remove it.

Ever feel that way with a certain lens?

EDIT - ARGH THAT FREEZING RAIN HITTING MY WINDOWS IS DRIVING ME UP THE WALL!!!

Last edited by Alvin; 03-01-2007 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Freezing rain rant
03-02-2007, 01:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Arpe. If you don't have a M50 1.7 you have to get one. The one on trademe have a bit of fungus so maybe the next one that comes up.

Cheers

Eddie
03-02-2007, 02:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Yeah Eddie that's why i didn't get it (phew, good to have a reason like that). It only went for $22.
03-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Yeah Eddie that's why i didn't get it (phew, good to have a reason like that). It only went for $22.
With today's inflated pricing due to popularity, I think that's too cheap for an M50/1.7. I'd be really scrutinizing that lens. I paid about $60 CDN for mine at a retail shop.
03-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Pete, lol - we both need some sleep man. I was joking around.

Psychologically, I can't remove this lens from the camera body. I'm having so much fun using it that I just feel torn when I try to remove it.

Ever feel that way with a certain lens?

EDIT - ARGH THAT FREEZING RAIN HITTING MY WINDOWS IS DRIVING ME UP THE WALL!!!
Haha you so right, I got like no sleep. I was so tired going to school today. When I woke up this morning, the whole backyard was littered with broken branches!

As for the lens stuck on camera, I'd usually carry a 50 and a 135. They both change places pretty easily but the camera bag's usually glued to me where ever I go. Just lately exams have been turning my routine upside down and the weather's been nuts.

I'd try for the 50/1.7 but after the Vivitar S1 28-90 that just came in, I'm pretty much broke so perhaps in the future.