Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamin-b Quote
Fuji X system (I really value tiny cameras and lenses)
Any consideration for the KP?? (I realize it probably doesn't make sense, since its so close to K70)... but in terms of size, it's about the same size or smaller than other mirrorless (like G85). As my brother's wife mentioned when getting her KP, her first real photography camera (though she did have a a6000 previously), how heavy the camera is.

07-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I would say just the K30 and K50 models due to the solenoid problem which wasn't recognised or fixed by Pentax.

Other than that, the K-m/K-2000 comes to mind but is quite a few years older. It replaced the K200D with the same sensor but quite a few features removed to make it cheaper. I had to rush to get my K200D before remaining stocks disappeared when I first got into good digital cameras - I didn't want to get stuck with a K-m as my only option.
07-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO there is no ‘bad’ Pentax camera. They all produce excellent image files.

There are a few cameras released with combinations of deleted features or design decisions that render the camera a little less good in usability (K-01; K500; K-S1) but none is really bad.
07-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Vote for KS1
Disappointing camera

07-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Any Pentax digital camera with an AA filter is "bad" in my book. I would never waste my time with a camera that purposefully blurs an image.

So, any Pentax camera prior to the K5iis probably has a sharpness robbing AA filter over it's sensor.
07-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never once felt a pang of regret for buying a moire reducing K-5 II vs. the K-5 IIs. it has been a fantastic camera.

The K-5 was kind of a rush job. The K-5 II and IIs were noticably improved.

The cameras mentioned that have problematic solenoids are probably good for this question. There were autofocusing film Pentax with plastic gears that seem ripe for failure as they've aged. And around that same time it seems like a lot of Pentax cameras have ergonomics that just don't really make sense today.
07-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I've never once felt a pang of regret for buying a moire reducing K-5 II vs. the K-5 IIs. it has been a fantastic camera.

The cameras mentioned that have problematic solenoids are probably good for this question. There were autofocusing film Pentax with plastic gears that seem ripe for failure as they've aged. And around that same time it seems like a lot of Pentax cameras have ergonomics that just don't really make sense today.
Did you ever shot them side by side and compare the images?

07-01-2019, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Did you ever shot them side by side and compare the images?
No. Why would I? I'm happy with my camera.
07-01-2019, 09:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote

I have no idea why you think the K-5 was a “rush job”, other than the fact that it replaced the K-7 after one year. The K-7, though, was a K20D with video, basically, and a test bed for the K-5, structurally and ergonomically. The K-5ii/s were interim developments between the K-5 and K-3, but I agree their improved low-light AF and the removal of the anti-alias filter on the ‘s’ were beneficial, and carried on to the K-3.

I can’t think of a “bad” Pentax camera, unless you go back to the film SLR era, when some of the plastic-bodied models were developed – those looked and felt cheap – but they still performed well in their market segments.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 07-02-2019 at 03:08 AM.
07-02-2019, 02:54 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only "bad" Pentax camera I've used was the K7. And it wasn't bad in terms of usability, but just the sensor was pretty poor, with not great dynamic range and so so high iso performance. I was so pleased when Pentax left their partnership with Samsung to go back to using Sony sensors in the Kx and K5.
07-02-2019, 04:13 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The only "bad" Pentax camera I've used was the K7. And it wasn't bad in terms of usability, but just the sensor was pretty poor, with not great dynamic range and so so high iso performance. I was so pleased when Pentax left their partnership with Samsung to go back to using Sony sensors in the Kx and K5.
The K-7 is the camera I got a year ago when I got into photography (and that I still have). Honestly, the ergonomics (the body has been used in all other APS-C flagships, right?) and ruggedness are 11/10, the viewfinder is very nice, everything except for the sensor is good to great. The problem is that the shadow detail is very, very poor (very grainy shadows are all too common), and ISO 800 is already noisier than a heavy metal concert.

I also tried a Pentax ME that I got last week, but it turned out, after putting the roll in, that the light meter was stuck in "OVER" so I only shot one roll at the mechanical setting, using the phone as meter... let's see how the negatives come back. Can't comment on how good it was, but I had so much fun rediscovering film after my childhood days with disposable cameras and my parents' Zenit. The viewfinder is enormous and the camera itself is adorably compact and comfortable to use.
07-02-2019, 06:33 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Any Pentax digital camera with an AA filter is "bad" in my book. I would never waste my time with a camera that purposefully blurs an image.

So, any Pentax camera prior to the K5iis probably has a sharpness robbing AA filter over it's sensor.
Don’t know if this was meant to be a deliberately provocative post

Never noticed any lack of sharpness with my K5ii ,in fact in several pictures any more sharpness would’ve been painful to the eye
07-02-2019, 06:50 AM   #28

The K-01.

Nice sensor, not sure about the rest of it. It screamed for an EVF, but alas.
07-02-2019, 06:58 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I have no idea why you think the K-5 was a “rush job”, other than the fact that it replaced the K-7 after one year.
Probably due to the number of issues the K-5 had with regard to light/white balance and low-light AF that were fixed in the K-5 II. The II was more than just feature additions, there were performance issues that it addressed. How long was the straight K-5 produced?
07-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #30
Pentaxian

"BAD" compared to what? If your experience is only with a limited number of other Pentax digital cameras, that's all you have to base your decision on.

I think it's preferable to make your determination based on comparison's to other camera camera manufacturers systems.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 07-12-2019 at 09:28 PM.