Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2019, 02:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-1 Shake Reduction?

hi guys,

Received K-1 II today.

What I have imediatelly discovered is that compared to K3, when SR is inactive or off, its movement is more noticable when I for example changing orientation or just shaking the body. I can't say its very hard but enough to feel in hand.

This completly goes away when the camera is in video mode and SR on.

Normal?

07-03-2019, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
hi guys,

Received K-1 II today.

What I have imediatelly discovered is that compared to K3, when SR is inactive or off, its movement is more noticable when I for example changing orientation or just shaking the body. I can't say its very hard but enough to feel in hand.

This completly goes away when the camera is in video mode and SR on.

Normal?
The whole shake reduction system is quite a bit larger than in the K3, so, it has more inertia when moving around.
More importantly - Enjoy your new camera!
07-03-2019, 03:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When it is inactive there should be no movement at all, because the actuators should hold the sensor perfectly still.

When off, you need to consider that the K1 sensor is more than double the area of the K3 and likely more. Than double the mass.

It is the movement, and stopping of the mass that you feel
07-03-2019, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The whole shake reduction system is quite a bit larger than in the K3, so, it has more inertia when moving around.
More importantly - Enjoy your new camera!
yes, that was coming to my mind as well, thanks bro!

---------- Post added 07-03-19 at 04:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
When it is inactive there should be no movement at all, because the actuators should hold the sensor perfectly still.

When off, you need to consider that the K1 sensor is more than double the area of the K3 and likely more. Than double the mass.

It is the movement, and stopping of the mass that you feel
When on, I feel sensor movement when I quickly changing orientation but it's absolutely same as in K3, just bigger sensor means you feel it more. No feel at all when in video mode either K3 or K1.

Anyway, I think I'm getting used to it... now when I'm comparing them side by side they both behave same way, just I need to consider that the K1 is much bigger as you guys perfectly mentioned. Thanks!

07-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Isn't mechanical shake reduction disabled in video mode - since the K5 I think
07-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

K-1 Shake Reduction?
K1 SR magnitude depends on the lens focal length. Stick a 450mm on your K1II and you feel of much SR react to motion. At 15mm lens, SR bloc moves very little. An easy way to see how SR behaves is to enable live view mode with/without SR to see how much the sensor motion is damped by the SR mechanism. Video SR is make by software, not using the mechanical SR on the K1.
07-03-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
Isn't mechanical shake reduction disabled in video mode - since the K5 I think
Yes, and this is also why the recommendation to shoot with it off for video, since it can have what some describe as a jello like quality to motion.

07-03-2019, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
K1 SR magnitude depends on the lens focal length. Stick a 450mm on your K1II and you feel of much SR react to motion. At 15mm lens, SR bloc moves very little. An easy way to see how SR behaves is to enable live view mode with/without SR to see how much the sensor motion is damped by the SR mechanism. Video SR is make by software, not using the mechanical SR on the K1.
I didn't even think about it
07-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I didn't even think about it
Ok, maybe what I wrote is obvious for you, I have no idea about your knowledge about those cameras. If obvious, please forget about my comment. Otherwise I'm glad to share if I know something.
07-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #10
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ok, maybe what I wrote is obvious for you, I have no idea about your knowledge about those cameras. If obvious, please forget about my comment. Otherwise I'm glad to share if I know something.
Hey, I appreciate every single comment regardless if it's matching my knowledge or not. K-1 is my first experience with full frame pentax by the way, and I'm already loving it. As expected, feels powerful and solid!
10-03-2019, 07:23 AM   #11

I hope I’m not going off in too different a direction, but this is the closest thread I could find. I’m wondering about low light sensitivity with slow shutter speed aided by the SR Ii system. Is there any noticeable advantage to a full frame sensor vs apsc assuming the same 5-axis stabilizer and similar pixel size? I’m thinking about shooting in indoor situations where a flash or tripod is not possible and yet wanting to minimize digital noise. Thanks.