Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Bay Area KP Owners: Can I try your camera?

Hey everyone,

I'm interning near San Jose this summer and will likely pull the trigger on a KP before the end of the month. Sadly, not a single store in the Bay Area has newer Pentax gear in stock so I have no way of getting my hands on a KP to see how I like the feel before purchasing. I know it's a lot to ask, but if any of you would be willing to show me your camera and let me try it out a little bit (or if you're really trusting, for an afternoon or weekend) that would be awesome.

Thanks! And I apologise if this is in the wrong forum.

07-09-2019, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you can find a free loaner good

if not check this out

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com
07-09-2019, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alas, while I live in Bay Area I do no have modern Pentax yet. I used to know couple of owners of Pentax K-5 and I myself have Pentax K5ii but nobody with Pentax KP.
07-09-2019, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am in the same boat... in the bay area with no access to a KP... my KS-2 died with the aperture problem so I don't want a K70

Good luck

gus

07-10-2019, 12:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I do own the KP. But I am not in the bay area
07-10-2019, 04:03 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roberts_camera Quote
Can I try your camera?
Good luck with that, you can but ask...
07-10-2019, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I'm not sure about U.S. outlets but Henry's in Canada has a 7 day no questions asked return policy for on-line purchases. I might be easier to just purchase it and send it back if you don't like it.

07-10-2019, 06:52 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not sure about U.S. outlets but Henry's in Canada has a 7 day no questions asked return policy for on-line purchases. I might be easier to just purchase it and send it back if you don't like it.
Yeah, I know that's an option but I would be buying used to save a couple hundred dollars. And that just feels a little wrong to buy a camera knowing you'll ship it back...
07-10-2019, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not sure about U.S. outlets. . . .
keh.com has a 14 day no questions asked return policy

it is located at 4900 Highlands Pkwy SE Smyrna, GA 30082

" WHAT IS THE RETURN POLICY FOR KEH?

At KEH it’s our goal to ensure your 100% satisfaction. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can return or exchange it to KEH within 14 days of delivery for a full refund. Drones are excluded from 14-day return policy. "

FAQ at KEH Camera

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-10-2019 at 08:18 AM.
07-10-2019, 11:33 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP camera body and lenses? Fwiw, Lensrentals.com has the KP for under $60/week, including shipping via fedex both ways. Add more for lenses, but the rates are reasonable. If you are new to LR, there is a promotional discount usually. So for under $140 per week, you could use a KP + lens (E+ Condition) delivered to your door in a couple days. They have the FF kits available too with some nice glass. My experiences with Lensrentals has been excellent; same with KEH, B&H & Adorama etc.
07-10-2019, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roberts_camera Quote
And that just feels a little wrong to buy a camera knowing you'll ship it back...
You're playing with the thought of buying this anyway (given that you like the ergonomics, that is), aren't you? So you could put it through its paces for a few days and then decide what to do with it.
But I know exactly what you mean. I would rather keep something that I'm not 100% satisfied with than send it back.
If you're like me in that regard, you should perhaps not do this then, since you could force yourself to keep it, even if you're not fully satisfied with it. And if you would send it back, the seller could not sell it as "new" again, but would have to sell it for less, and (at least here) you could be billed the difference between those two prices (which could be in the ballpark of rental prices?)
07-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
. . . And if you would send it back, the seller could not sell it as "new" again, . . .
???

KEH.com only sells " experienced " gear and rates each lens. if a return is undamaged, there would be no change in rating
07-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I would rather keep something that I'm not 100% satisfied with than send it back.
If you're like me in that regard, you should perhaps not do this then, since you could force yourself to keep it, even if you're not fully satisfied with it.
Honestly, even if I was thrilled by what I saw/felt, I still would want to send it back to save money. As a student with no constant income, it's hard to justify big purchases. So I would definitely be buying used unless some crazy good deal popped up for a new one.
07-10-2019, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #14

I just got back from visiting a number of camera stores in Japan and was in heaven playing with all the different makes and models. I think your idea of trying a KP first is a very good one. As much as I have considered the KP and like so many of its features, I simply can't get over the ergonomics of the camera. No matter which of the three optional grips is on the camera, for me with my medium-large hands, I simply can't get comfortable with the shallow feel of the grip. It doesn't feel secure and the control wheels don't feel like they are in exactly the right position. Maybe I could get use to it, but I worry it would detract from my enjoyment when using the camera.

Obviously, it could be the right camera for you, but I think your idea of trying a KP before buying one is particularly important with this body.

Good luck!
07-10-2019, 09:27 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
For anybody curious, I am using LensRentals to rent the camera for five days ($59.49 including damage coverage, shipping, and a $25 coupon). I will be going to LA for a busy weekend, so it should be a good way to get a feel for using it in various situations. I let them know that I am interested in purchasing it afterwards (you can purchase their gear you rent once your rental is over and they credit you the cost of rental), so I asked them to include all three grips and send me the most used body they would sell for the cheapest of their collection. We'll see in two weeks how I liked it!

Edit: Thanks JeffDrew for the input!

Last edited by roberts_camera; 07-10-2019 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Thanking a user