Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2019, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Shouldn't we push for the acronym TLA to be replaced by MLA (as in multi-letter acronym), to take account of the various 2, 3 and more letter versions - or has MLA some connotation of which I am currently unaware ?

07-12-2019, 05:25 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Shouldn't we push for the acronym TLA to be replaced by MLA (as in multi-letter acronym)
Except that neither is an acronym since they are not pronounced as words. Like RADAR, ZIP (code), NASA, SCUBA.
07-12-2019, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Thanks for the "symphathy" (sic) but you've over-emphasised the issue
Yes, it would seem, though it might be pointed out that the initials are understood at a glance by those in the know, whereas the full noun phrases must be read word for word, even if only used in full once. Consider a thread with 200 comments and each comment starting with a definition for IBIS as a hyphenated term (e.g. In-Body-Image-Stabilization (IBIS)) merely to allow free use of the abbreviation in the remainder of the comment. IBIS (aka SR) has been part of camera speech since about 2006 and it would seem that after a decade or so of common usage, the abbreviation should be usable on its own without the long form as an introduction.

In the case of PDAF and CDAF, the initials are pretty much ubiquitous to the point of being part of published specifications* and or even common speech in much the same way as radar (originally an acronym for RAdio Detection And Ranging). In other words, being "in the know" is assumed for those being part of the conversation. If not yet, "in the know", Google is our friend as might be published lists of photography terms. I frequently use Google or similar for abbreviations and terms I don't yet know.

BTW...the Wikipedia entry for PDAF is good for a small chuckle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDAF). I should have used "PDAF photography" as the search term.

Steve

(Pedantic? Me? )

* Pentax uses a textual description rather than CDAF and PDAF.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-12-2019 at 07:17 AM.
07-12-2019, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I though TLA was Temporary Living Arrangement!

As a military retiree, I have been guilty of the use of many TLAs but try to avoid them since they are almost as annoying as people in presentations who make playing Buzz-word Bingo way too easy to play!
So at the end of the day you are efforting to move the needle and make a best practice of forging a paradigm-shifting ecosystem away from disruptive TLA's?

07-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
So at the end of the day you are efforting to move the needle and make a best practice of forging a paradigm-shifting ecosystem away from disruptive TLA's?
Bingo!!!!!
07-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
But why - given all the ISO standards they do did they decide to give the name ISO to a unit of something as obscure as film sensitivity?
It was previously called ASA for American standards association, I am sure that when people refer to ISO or ASA or the German rating under DIN standards, they just didn’t bother calling the standard, only the publishing organization

It is actually ISO 6 released in 1974
07-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Kypfer says:

"I'm unfamiliar with the "three-letter-acronyms" (TLA's) or other abbreviations that litter many messages with no explanation of what is being referred to?"

Me too. I've thought it's because I'm an oldster...of the baby boomer generation..and I'm generally out of tune with whatever is hip these days. In my youth, I used to be 'with it'...'in the know' ....but now...I'm kind of confused...some (the younger generation most likely) .....might say I'm befuddled....when it comes to knowing what's what, in modern society.

As sort of an aside...I could never figure out what *ist meant in Pentax speak. I recall looking at an *ist model, before the K10D came out and wondered where did this name come from.

But then I've never been able to figure out Pentax digital K series model sequencing....K10D, K7, K5, K3, K1. Unless it's a backward numbering system, with generally a number missing between models...ie; there was the K7...then K5...but no K6...etc.

Well, to the OP (Original Poster)...I hope my 'take' has been helpful to you, when it comes to sorting things out. I realize I did get a little off track as I meandered to a conclusion. I think I came to a conclusion ?

07-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I for one can't stand all these acronyms, as far as I am concerned use the proper words or get out.

It is probably a hang over from all these mobile phone users (zombie's on phones), and the way they text, that is, not spelling words correctly and using short cuts.
07-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #54
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you really think the post would be more legible if he had used the words?
Attached Images

07-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For me yes, what is CDAF again, what is PDAF again, I work it out in time but it interrupts my reading of posts.

I had to try to work out what TLA means. There are just too many acronyms.

I really think the words should be typed first, then when used again in the body of the text use abbreviations then. Contrast detection auto focus (CDAF). Even when typing this I had to look it up.

Last edited by beachgardener; 07-12-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: add text
07-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Being in Automotive, I can't go a single meeting without hearing MLAs (multi letter abbreviations).
Especially when the QE's (Quality Engineers) or SQE's (Supplier Quality Engineers) get involved.

Its enough to create some serious IBS.