Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter

GX10 just died

While taking pics yesterday AM the shutter stopped working, I thought I had a something set wrong, but no, not even a new freshly charged battery could make the shutter work, mirror lock up does not, and it would not with a wire-less remote. So I am fairly sure after about >30,000 clicks, something in the shutter circuit or the shutter has died. My GX10 has 4 years of warranty, I got it 8 month ago. I called Samsung and they had me send it to a place in NY USA, I sent it overnight. The repair center said it takes about one day to fix, yep one day, now that's fast, real fast. I just got an email saying I should have it back within 5 days.

One problem, I never dropped the camera but it has the famous hair line crack on the back bottom plate corner see this post not started by me, but had tons of persons with the same manufacturers defect.

forums.dpreview.com/... ...dflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=24856551&page=1

I called Pentax service and Samsung USA, no one has heard of it, even though Pentax in Germany fixes it for free and lots of K10s/GX10s have it. So I said nothing to the repair center, its very small and a hair line, I just hope they don't give me any flack over it and try to say I dropped it . If so I will have to prove my case somehow. I just want it working, then I will deal with them on fixing the crack.

If all goes well and I get my camera next week, this is a very compelling reason in the USA to consider Samsung over Pentax. We will see the outcome and I will keep this post updated. This may help people decide between Pentax/Samsung in the USA, becuase there is little information on Samsung service.

Last edited by jamesm007; 10-10-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Not sure if link is allowed
10-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear about your camera problem. Hope they fix it as fast as they say! Thats fast. Good luck. Don't think they will say anything about the crack. They must know it happens.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #11 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #12. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!
10-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Called today to make sure all is well, the return date is set for this Thursday, I don't know why the lady last Thursday said one day to fix, maybe I heard wrong, maybe she meant when the tech has it, it takes one day. Still that's plenty fast for me.

I also asked if this is the turn around time for all cameras and she said yes, so even Samsung P/S are serviced this fast in the USA. I remember Kodak was also 2 weeks on there repairs. Seems that's the normal turn around time for some of the big manufacturers selling in the US.
10-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

James,
A while back my Samsung video camera fell off of the tripod and stopped working. It had no external damage after falling onto the carpet. I sent it to the place in NY under warranty. It came back as good as new in short order. There were no charges for the repair. Of course I didn't tell them that it had been dropped.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Called today to make sure all is well, the return date is set for this Thursday, I don't know why the lady last Thursday said one day to fix, maybe I heard wrong, maybe she meant when the tech has it, it takes one day. Still that's plenty fast for me.

I also asked if this is the turn around time for all cameras and she said yes, so even Samsung P/S are serviced this fast in the USA. I remember Kodak was also 2 weeks on there repairs. Seems that's the normal turn around time for some of the big manufacturers selling in the US.

10-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Fast service

I am glad Dave, you got good service. I here of lots of accidents with tripods there something to be careful around, that's for sure.

Well I got two different stories and the first story was the right story. dSLRs are fixed in one day, 5 days are allowed if a part has to be ordered. My GX10 needed a part they could not get by today the 6th business day. In that case you get an exchange and that what they are doing. I really cant believe it, but its true. I talked to the regional supervisor today and she is the first one I talked to a week ago and told me one day, she knows there's a rush on dSLRs the other did not. So Samsung is giving me 4 years of warranty, and when it breaks I send it in and they try to fix it in one day, if they have to order a part 5 days are allowed on the 6th day if that camera is not in the mail to you, you get an exchange its not dragged out for weeks and weeks, no games, get you another as fast as they can when yours breaks. Give Samsung USA a lot of credit. Still we will see, because I still dont have my GX10 but its only been one week. So all is OK so far. And the service unreal.
10-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
An update the end of the second week and no camera. I called Wednesday and asked for an update, I was told "its in quality control, and should ship Friday" and to call back Friday (today) for an update but...

I probably should have went Pentax. I called today to see if my GX10 is out of quality control and shipped. They transferred me to executive service. The executive representative had never heard of quality control on an exchange, I thought she did not believe me, however the lady who told me this Wednesday even logged that she told me "its in quality control", so the representative apologized and looked further into my exchange.

It seems after being approved for exchange last Friday nothing has happened because its in a assigned que, and the person is on vacation this week that it was assigned to that's why nothing has happened. Well I demanded a little more info, do they who ever they are have it? and how long? I was told the GX10 is in very limited supply and it wont be ordered until Monday when the person comes back, and for me to call back Tue or Thur for an E.T.A.. To be honest I now want the Pentax brand, and more specifically the K20. The time is right for me to sell my GX10 and upgrade to the Pentax K20, I will also buy the 2 year extended warranty for $99. That will be my smartest and best move, for my photography hobby IMO.

Because it seems Samsung wont put money into repairing your unit, I suppose it also saves time for the customer. So after a time it goes for exchange, that's where the problems can come up, and you may have to wait. So in the end it looks like this will be no faster then I have read of Pentax service. Samsung has failed my customer service standard by flat out making up stuff, I can say this because she even logged it "its in quality control" and was told thats not true, and told the person handling my case in on vacation and told they have very limited stock, cant get much worse than that; if Samsung wants my approval they had better come up with something when I call Tue Again I want the K20 so Samsungs loss, my gain in the end with the Pentax K20.

Last edited by jamesm007; 10-24-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling
10-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Bummer. Wish you had better news. Have heard so many good things about Samsung service (not cameras).
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #11 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #12. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!
10-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
That will be my smartest and best move, for my photography hobby
30000 clicks in 8 month... it is not a hobby - it is either profession or obsession...

10-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #9

Just unloaded my GX-10 today for 60% of my purchase price in December/07. At slightly under 10k clicks, I felt it was time to unload the albatross!