Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2019, 04:22 PM   #16
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Can you say anything about how much of a difference this really makes, in daily shooting? Is it more important than, say, the number of stops compensated?

---------- Post added 07-22-19 at 03:39 PM ----------

Do any of these models lack it? I found a post here from 2008 discussing it.
Gosh I had to run off and check- it is not on the main on/off switch for either my K30 or K01 so I don't think they have it. But you are right, it seems to be on the old K10. Perhaps someone else can elaborate.

07-23-2019, 04:08 AM   #17
Unregistered User

The KP has astrotracer, but no GPS - optional external attachment required. I say this in support of the idea that two entries would be required for each model.
07-23-2019, 04:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
The KP has astrotracer, but no GPS - optional external attachment required. I say this in support of the idea that two entries would be required for each model.
From the KP manual, page 121:
"When the optional GPS unit O-GPS1 is attached to the camera, GPS information is saved in the shooting information of an image"

Is this not correct? Or what further GPS functionality were you expecting?
07-23-2019, 04:34 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you say anything about how much of a difference this really makes, in daily shooting? Is it more important than, say, the number of stops compensated?
There are various claims around how well it works, but for your list you should avoid them and just state the facts.

As I see it the audience will be non-Pentax owning and comparing specs so it is useful to put it out there, especially as Canon and Nikon will have SR in time and the list will still be around for years to come.

Last edited by Kevin B123; 07-23-2019 at 04:34 AM. Reason: tyop (typo)
07-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
There are various claims around how well it works, but for your list you should avoid them and just state the facts.

As I see it the audience will be non-Pentax owning and comparing specs so it is useful to put it out there, especially as Canon and Nikon will have SR in time and the list will still be around for years to come.
By that reasoning, though, I should state that every model is weather-sealed, every model has a pentaprism, ... I'm honestly a bit torn about that.

I think the way to do it if it's to be done at all, would be to look at third party quantitative testing. There are probably magazines that have done this consistently - I can't think of any good online source, though.
07-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would say put something about video in there...but its all the same at 1080p/30 and 720p/60
07-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #22
Unregistered User

From the KP manual, page 121:
"When the optional GPS unit O-GPS1 is attached to the camera, GPS information is saved in the shooting information of an image"

Is this not correct? Or what further GPS functionality were you expecting?
As I stated, the optional external GPS unit is required - the KP has NO built-in GPS.

07-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By that reasoning, though, I should state that every model is weather-sealed, every model has a pentaprism, ... I'm honestly a bit torn about that.
There is a long list of features a buyer might want to know about, you can pick them from here, or add a link for more detailed info:

Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Are you looking to steer new buyers to the fold or convert existing togs from other systems?
07-23-2019, 11:16 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Are you looking to steer new buyers to the fold or convert existing togs from other systems?
The idea started with something much more simple: what would I like to have had?

The idea was to list major differentiators of recent models.

Maybe if I eventually get the drive to develop an infographic, things like pentaprism, weathersealing, FullHD video could be mentioned in the material surrounding this. For the way it's presented now, it makes the most sense to focus on the differences.

It was never intended as a marketing exercise, merely to provide information.

---------- Post added 07-23-19 at 11:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
As I stated, the optional external GPS unit is required - the KP has NO built-in GPS.
Sorry, I was quoting the wrong thing. But the other bit is on the very same page:

"Shooting celestial bodies

Setting the Astrotracer

1 Attach the GPS unit to the camera and turn the camera on."

So the cheat sheet is correct as it stands as far as I can see - you cannot get Astrotracer without a GPS unit, either built in or supplied externally. All models that have GPS have Astrotracer. All models that have Astrotracer have GPS. All models that require the external O-GPS unit require it to do either Astrotracer or GPS. So no separate field is needed. I suppose a minor text change might make sense for those that don't realise that Astrotracer and GPS are 100% tied together in these models.
07-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Looks good.