Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2019, 10:19 PM   #1

Upgrading my K-5 [K-3ii or KP]?

Hi guys, I am finally ready to replace my K-5.
I am considering upgrading to a K-3ii or a KP, which are in the same price range. The K-1 is therefore not an option.
Did any of you have gone to such upgrade?
I shoot mostly landscapes and sky. The K-3ii has the built-in O-GPS1 which is a positive factor but not a must, since I have the module for the K-5 which will probably work on the KP.
Does anyone know which module works better? the builtin in the K3 or external?
Any other considerations?

07-23-2019, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I upgraded from a K-5 to K-3, and from a K-3 to a KP.

I would go for the KP. The slower burst shooting and smaller buffer aren't really an issue for landscape shooting, and the battery life is easily managed with a spare battery or the optional grip. The O-GPS works just as well as the built in GPS I have in my K-1 bodies.
07-24-2019, 01:18 AM   #3

If you are not so hasty, you could wait for new Pentax aps-c flagship which will use new 26mp CMOS in June’s rumor
07-24-2019, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Karen the Star Quote
If you are not so hasty, you could wait for new Pentax aps-c flagship which will use new 26mp CMOS in June’s rumor
Thought of that but will probably be way more pricy then the ones I mentioned. Thats why I discarded a K-1

07-24-2019, 01:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The K3II is in the same customer segment as your K5, i.e. top APS-C. The KP isn't.
07-24-2019, 02:40 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
The K3II is in the same customer segment as your K5, i.e. top APS-C. The KP isn't.
K3 was past formula, I just don't know why many people don't want to admit this, KP is much better on auto focusing, high ISO image quality, and 5-axis' shake reduction performance, you can find the comparing on youtube, by the way, pixel shift is also a function that K3 II doesn't have.
what K3 better than KP is inner GPS, 2 card slots and rapidly continuous shooting(just one more per second) , that's all, get no business with IQ.
however for a camera, the most important thing is IQ I think (*'ω'*)
07-24-2019, 03:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The KP probably has the edge when it comes to general image quality, particularly in lower light. However, it is mostly an individual choice thing so perhaps consider comparing the specs of the two and see whether one or the other has features that you cannot do without:

compare side-by-side pentaxk3ii and pentax_kp

Personally, I prefer the grip in the style of the K-3II and the long charge life of the K-3II battery. GPS is of little interest to me; however, the tilt screen and fill flash of the KP can be useful, and the extra control dial is a very useful feature. Although the physical dimensions are similar, the KP gives the impression of having a smaller, lighter form. Having got used to the grip and taking along an extra battery, for me all of this adds up to making the KP overall a more enjoyable camera to use.

Philip

07-24-2019, 04:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went from a K-5 to a K-3II and it was a great move. It’s a personal choice though, and yes the KP is newer and has newer tech. However, careful processing and good lenses make any day-to-day difference irrelevant between it and the K-3II. GPS is superb at geotagging photos, especially in a long trip and you can’t remember exactly where you took a shot.

To correct an inaccurate statement; the K-3II does indeed have pixel shift; I used it just yesterday.
07-24-2019, 05:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a K-5IIs as an extra camera to go with my KP. They are both super cameras but the low light capabilities of the KP make it the better choice. Also if you go with the battery grip, then it weighs about the same as a K-3II!
07-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
I have a KP, K3 and a K5. The K5 now sits in the drawer most of the time I find myself using the KP more often because of the size and the greater ISO . I have not used the K3II so I do not have a first had knowledge of it.
07-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

K3 was past formula, I just don't know why many people don't want to admit this, KP is much better on auto focusing, high ISO image quality, and 5-axis' shake reduction performance, you can find the comparing on youtube, by the way, pixel shift is also a function that K3 II doesn't have.
what K3 better than KP is inner GPS, 2 card slots and rapidly continuous shooting(just one more per second) , that's all, get no business with IQ.
however for a camera, the most important thing is IQ I think (*'ω'*)
Not saying the KP isn't good; just not Pentax's top APS-C model. The ergonomics of the top models are, in my view, superior.

As to pixel shift not being in the K3II, mine definitely has it.
07-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

pixel shift is also a function that K3 II doesn't have
Correction. It does have pixel shift. The original K3 did not.
07-24-2019, 10:41 PM   #13

Original Poster
Appreciate the insights. I guess I will grab a KP.
Low light capabilities is indeed a plus for me, since I oft shoot long exposure. As for the GPS, I already have a O-GPS1 module that is also compatible with the KP.
07-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the K-5, K-5 IIs, then the K-S2 (for my smallest lightest DSLR), and finally the KP, which I've found to be as remarkable an advancement as the original K5 was, along with its svelte design for having a pro-level build quality. It is my most used body.

Yet my K-5 and K-5 IIs are so good, I still use them when I want their excellent controls layout. The K-5 is especially good with the DA 18-135mm lens, as exceptional AF performance is still there via the lens. That lens is also very compatible with the KP, due to its compactness. For events where the extra-quick on-body controls are a factor, it is still very satisfactory. Likewise with the K-5 IIs with improved AF, and better image detail from the absence of an AA filter when I need that. IQ is still very fine!

But the KP is tops! Very often, I use it with the very compact DA 20-40mm LTD for very easy carrying, or with my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 either of these in combo with the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 for very capable fine imaging.

No doubt you will enjoy the KP's superb performance and unique compact carrying aspect.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-26-2019 at 12:17 PM.
07-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #15
Pentaxian

KP is a killer camera. Love mine so much.

I definitely recommend an extra battery though.