Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Correction: K-70 is smaller than KP in all dimensions except the grip.

Camera Size Comparison Tool
And the K-S2 is smaller and lighter than the K-70. The dimensions are rather deceiving, however, when it comes to the KP. The KP in hand feels overall slimmer than the K-S2. Its hight dimension is an exaggeration because it includes that one-point peak at the top. In-hand experience is that of a very well-built compact body.

The top controls can be very useful. Just for one instance, when changing metering to do a spot reading. No need to go to menus- next best thing to having a dedicated on-body control like my K-5 or K-5 IIs. There is also considerable programability to suit particular needs.

The rear screen coming straight out, cannot reverse to do selfies, but takes up less width for down low or up high shots.

Quality is definitely a matchup to that of the Limiteds.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-28-2019 at 02:26 PM.
07-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
And the K-S2 is smaller and lighter than the K-70. The dimensions are rather deceiving, however, when it comes to the KP. The KP in hand feels overall slimmer than the K-S2. Its hight dimension is an exaggeration because it includes that one-point peak at the top. In-hand experience is that of a very well-built compact body.

The top controls can be very useful. Just for one instance, when changing metering to do a spot reading. No need to go to menus- next best thing to having a dedicated on-body control like my K-5 or K-5 IIs. There is also considerable programability to suit particular needs.

The rear screen coming straight out, cannot reverse to do selfies, but takes up less width for down low or up high shots.
The shoulders on the KP are quite low - except when compared to the K-70, which must be tiny. I thought the K-3 was a bit small to handle, but KP is much better. Of course K-1 is better still.

If I really need to take a selfie I have a phone. The K-70 screen is for video. K-70 has the best video of any Pentax (KP isn’t bad either) - hybrid, continuous AF in Video Mode - and no one knows.
07-28-2019, 03:03 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I fully understand your stated intentions, Richard, of continuing on with the K-3 (as I have done so with my K-5/ K-5 IIs) but wanting a less bulky but able camera body for use with Limiteds. A major reason I went for the KP in addition to its other virtues. While I do like my very small K-S2, and it is very nice for its class, the difference in build quality and control features- switching metering, AF points, etc. is a very noticeable difference compared to my K-5/K-5 IIs. I like the Limiteds on my K-S2, but I really like them on my KP. Being used to the K-3's quality and features, I believe you would be more satisfied with a KP. As in my case with the K-5 bodies, the KP simply, with the quality you are used to, makes a better and a more able associate.
07-28-2019, 11:19 PM   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
A major reason I went for the KP in addition to its other virtues. While I do like my very small K-S2, and it is very nice for its class, the difference in build quality and control features- switching metering, AF points, etc. is a very noticeable difference compared to my K-5/K-5 IIs. I like the Limiteds on my K-S2, but I really like them on my KP. Being used to the K-3's quality and features, I believe you would be more satisfied with a KP. As in my case with the K-5 bodies, the KP simply, with the quality you are used to, makes a better and a more able associate.
I agree, based on my experience with the K-3, K-S2 and KP (and two DA and two FA Limiteds). The KP has the best image quality by some margin. Metering and AF are as good as or better than the K-3. High ISO is 1-2 stops better. Pixel shift is a great feature. The shake reduction is at another level compared to the other two. The third wheel is useful. It's well worth the extra money.

08-10-2019, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Many thanks for all your input into my decision. I had decided on either a s/h K-S2 or new K70, depending on which best deal I could get, but luckily a used KP came up with only 1000 shutter activations. for £550, just £50 more than the cheapest deal I could find on a new K70, so I have taken the KP plunge and am looking forward to receiving the beast during the coming week. My initial hesitancy over the KP was based on its cost - used typically £600 - £700 or new nearer £100, here in the UK. I was far from convinced the premium was worth it over the other 2 models. I know the argument that the IQ is supposed to be better, but really if best possible IQ were my main priority I would spring for a used K1 , which can be had for the same money.
Now I need to sell some gear - not to pay for it, but to justify the acquisition to SWMBO!!!