Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2019, 01:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which camera for my Ltd Primes?

I am the very happy owner of a Pentax K3 with battery grip over the last 4 years. I have a lot of legacy prime lenses which I use with it. The handling and build quality are superb. It will be staying with me for a long time yet! I have acquired all Ltd primes, except the 21mm, and these lenses, especially the 70mm, are leading me to think that a smaller body would be a more suitable match for them. With this in mind, I am undecided which to buy. A good used K-S2, a K70 or a KP.
Which ever it is it will be used for casual walk around use.
Each camera, for me has its pros and cons. For example the K-S2 and K70 have the green button (not that I am likely to use it with the Ltds) in the wrong place and feel a bit agricultural when compared to the KP. Both offer significant cost advantages though and I prefer their grips. The KP offers better build quality. As far as image quality goes I am unlikely to see much difference between any of them except at high ISOs, where the K70 and KP will have an edge.
I will probably wait until later in the year to make my decision, hoping to take advantage of the black Friday effect, unless a K-S2 crops up at the right price before then.
Any thoughts and recommendations from users of these cameras will be most welcome in helping me.

07-27-2019, 01:04 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would probably go for the K-70. It's got the perfect balance of cost-effectiveness and performance IMO. I'm sure you'll also enjoy the facelifted and more customizable UI compared to the K-3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2019, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I am the very happy owner of a Pentax K3 with battery grip over the last 4 years. I have a lot of legacy prime lenses which I use with it. The handling and build quality are superb. It will be staying with me for a long time yet! I have acquired all Ltd primes, except the 21mm, and these lenses, especially the 70mm, are leading me to think that a smaller body would be a more suitable match for them. With this in mind, I am undecided which to buy. A good used K-S2, a K70 or a KP.
Which ever it is it will be used for casual walk around use.
Each camera, for me has its pros and cons. For example the K-S2 and K70 have the green button (not that I am likely to use it with the Ltds) in the wrong place and feel a bit agricultural when compared to the KP. Both offer significant cost advantages though and I prefer their grips. The KP offers better build quality. As far as image quality goes I am unlikely to see much difference between any of them except at high ISOs, where the K70 and KP will have an edge.
I will probably wait until later in the year to make my decision, hoping to take advantage of the black Friday effect, unless a K-S2 crops up at the right price before then.
Any thoughts and recommendations from users of these cameras will be most welcome in helping me.
When I went to the shop to get the kp, the seller told me "this camera was made for the limited"
I did not know what he was referring too. ����
Since then I got them (the limited), and they do not leave the kp.
07-27-2019, 05:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AmsAmt Quote
When I went to the shop to get the kp, the seller told me "this camera was made for the limited"
I should not hyave read this, my K-5 is damaged and so I use the K-1, I do not need to be tempted by the KP!

07-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

K3 is a small body. If you want to get significantly smaller, something without mirror is needed. K1 is large, D-FA* lenses are big. Da Ltd and KP are a small package.
07-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A major goal for the design of the KP was to complement the Limited primes, both in best possible image quality and in high build quality with compactness. The concept of quality with compactness go hand in hand (literally) with the KP and Limiteds. I have found this to be true in actual use!

With the very compact Limiteds, you really do not need much if any grip for good balance in handling. The classic MF compact Pentax 35mm film SLR bodies had a very small or no grip, and were delightful with a compact or pancake-type lens. The supplied KP grips allow some latitude here for holding by different hands. The KP also has a far better set of controls than a K-S2, (which I also have and like) or a K-70, for quicker handling, a better SR system, and the availability of a battery grip for better balance with larger lenses as well as long battery life for lengthy events shooting or verticals.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-27-2019 at 01:03 PM.
07-28-2019, 12:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
A major goal for the design of the KP was to complement the Limited primes, both in best possible image quality and in high build quality with compactness. The concept of quality with compactness go hand in hand (literally) with the KP and Limiteds. I have found this to be true in actual use!

With the very compact Limiteds, you really do not need much if any grip for good balance in handling. The classic MF compact Pentax 35mm film SLR bodies had a very small or no grip, and were delightful with a compact or pancake-type lens. The supplied KP grips allow some latitude here for holding by different hands. The KP also has a far better set of controls than a K-S2, (which I also have and like) or a K-70, for quicker handling, a better SR system, and the availability of a battery grip for better balance with larger lenses as well as long battery life for lengthy events shooting or verticals.
I am well used to the old film SLRs. Having ME Super, MX and compact ones from other manufacturers. I am not too bothered about the supposed superior controls of the KP, as I intend to use the camera for almost exclusive use with the Ltd primes in aperture priority, so as long as exposure compensation, ISO, aperture controls and back button AF are easily accessible I will be happy. As far as I can tell they are on all three cameras, as they are on my K3. The appeal of the KP, to me, is really its better build quality, but I am far from convinced it is worth around double the price of the K70 or K-S2. As you are the fortunate owner of both the KP and the K-S2, perhaps you could share some further thoughts. Especially as you also like the K-S2. One of the appeals of the K70/K-S2 apart from price, is the FULLY articulating screen, which I know I will find useful on occasion.

07-28-2019, 05:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am well used to the old film SLRs. Having ME Super, MX and compact ones from other manufacturers. I am not too bothered about the supposed superior controls of the KP, as I intend to use the camera for almost exclusive use with the Ltd primes in aperture priority, so as long as exposure compensation, ISO, aperture controls and back button AF are easily accessible I will be happy. As far as I can tell they are on all three cameras, as they are on my K3. The appeal of the KP, to me, is really its better build quality, but I am far from convinced it is worth around double the price of the K70 or K-S2. As you are the fortunate owner of both the KP and the K-S2, perhaps you could share some further thoughts. Especially as you also like the K-S2. One of the appeals of the K70/K-S2 apart from price, is the FULLY articulating screen, which I know I will find useful on occasion.
Have you tried the DSLR Comparison Tool?

KP | K-70 | K-S2

KP has a better AF sensor, new SR, better high ISO handling and better Image Processing Engine, slightly faster mechanical shutter, Electronic Shutter - just plain newer and better in all respects, and it has the Accelerator Chip. There are a few minor variances in such things as Scene Modes. I probably missed a few - didn’t memorize the table.

An additional $200 for a KP vs. K-70 or $300 vs. K-S2 (not double the money at all) is worth it IMO unless you absolutely must have a swing-out video-style LCD.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-28-2019 at 06:03 AM.
07-28-2019, 06:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are looking for a partner for the DA Limiteds, look no further than the KP.
Next best option would probably be the K-01 to be honest.
07-28-2019, 06:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Let me get one thing clear here. I am not overly Impressed by technical specs. I want a smaller camera to match my (screwdrive) Ltd lenses. The dilemma (forgive the hyperbole) I have, is which one, based really on a combination of 'feel', useful features and cost is most appropriate to my needs. Unfortunately, in this day and age it is impossible to go to a lcs and have a good play with each model before making a choice. Hence my appeal for users thoughts and experiences.
07-28-2019, 06:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let me get one thing clear here. I am not overly Impressed by technical specs. I want a smaller camera to match my (screwdrive) Ltd lenses. The dilemma (forgive the hyperbole) I have, is which one, based really on a combination of 'feel', useful features and cost is most appropriate to my needs. Unfortunately, in this day and age it is impossible to go to a lcs and have a good play with each model before making a choice. Hence my appeal for users thoughts and experiences.
I have owned the K-01. I currently shoot a KP (and K-1 Mark II, but that's not really relevant). I have previously owned the K10D, K-5, K-5 IIs, K-3, K-S1 and K-S2.
I own *all* of the DA Limiteds.
I stand by my comment. I'm not making this up.
07-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did not think you were. Its just that it's not relevant to my problem.
07-28-2019, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience with K-01, K-5lls, (K-3 sold), K-S1, K-1 and KP:

KP yields the best image quality of all APSc in my experience.
  • K-01 is a wonderful camera with the 3 pancake Limiteds if your goal is to carry an excellent camera in a single pocket.
  • K-5lls has all the near pro features even today and the sublime 16Mp sensor in a traditional format. IMO the button placement is not optimal, especially the AF button.
  • K-S1 is a nice camera but too small. Like the K-01 it was panned before it had a chance to establish itself. K-S2 is essentially a K-S1 with the negatives eliminated. Very nice sensor and IQ and the video LCD.
  • KP is a smaller package with the pancake Limiteds (how I use it), than K-5lls at the shoulders (so probably smaller than K-70) K-70 is smaller than KP except for the grip), faster / better AF, etc. The rear AF button (same place as K-70) is placed slightly high and right from where my thumb wants to go. I sometimes hit the green button by mistake. I think this is because I use the K-1, which has perfect button placements. I use the LCD for waist level and ground level shooting quite a lot. AF is snappy and accurate in OVF and LV shooting with the Limiteds. I prefer the choice of grips vs. a fixed, deep grip, but the grips are a deal-breaker for some people. I have no problems handing the KP except the first few shots hunting for the AF button, but for longer and larger lenses I bought a used K5lls to have the fixed grip. IMO the important variables are SAFOX 11 with 27 point AF on KP vs. SAFOX X 11 point on K-70 (same as K-5lls), and body style / LCD. The AF on KP is way better than K-5lls. KP AF with Limited pancakes is just plain better, IMO. Compare the AF button placements using online images in PF Camera Reviews if that would help.
  • K-1 is perfect.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-28-2019 at 08:01 AM.
07-28-2019, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My experience with K-01, K-5lls, (K-3 sold), K-S1, K-1 and KP:

KP yields the best image quality of all APSc in my experience.
  • K-01 is a wonderful camera with the 3 pancake Limiteds if your goal is to carry an excellent camera in a single pocket.
  • K-5lls has all the near pro features even today and the sublime 16Mp sensor in a traditional format. IMO the button placement is not optimal, especially the AF button.
  • K-S1 nice cameras but too small. Like the K-01 it was panned before it had a chance to establish itself. K-S2 is essentially a K-S! With the negatives eliminated. Very nice sensor and IQ and the video LCD.
  • KPis a smaller package with the pancake Limiteds (how I use it), than K-5lls (so probably smaller than K-70) faster / better AF, etc. The rear AF button (same place as K-70) is placed slightly high and right from where my thumb wants to go. I sometimes hit the green button by mistake. I think this is because I use the K-1, which has perfect button placements. I use the LCD for waist level and ground level shooting quite a lot. AF is snappy and accurate in OVF and LV shooting with the Limiteds. I prefer the choice of grips vs. a fixed, deep grip, but the grips are a deal-breaker for some people. I have no problems handing the KP except the first few shots hunting for the AF button, but for longer and larger lenses I bought a used K5lls to have the fixed grip. IMO the important variables are SAFOX 11 with 27 point AF KP vs. SAFOX X 11 point on K-70 (same as K-5lls), and body style / LCD. The AF on KP is way better than K-5lls. KP AF with Limited pancakes is just plain better, IMO. Compare the AF button placements using online images in PF Camera Reviews if that would help.
  • K-1 is perfect.
Thank you. This is exactly the sort of information I have been after.
07-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. This is exactly the sort of information I have been after.
Correction: K-70 is smaller than KP in all dimensions except the grip.

Camera Size Comparison Tool

Last edited by monochrome; 07-28-2019 at 08:04 AM.