Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2019, 01:55 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there are actually quite a few people like me who are right handed and left eye dominant - not that I can't use my right eye,I just naturall use my left, and seem to be better at composing with it - so a left handed camera woud be no better, just swapping one problem for another. Tnere must also be left-handed righte eyes eople in equal measure - maybe we need a poll with all the permutations (R/R, R/L. L/R. L/L, Ambi/R. Ambi/L - then the no dominant eye permutations to see whar the proportions in this community are (or amongst the hundred or so who take part, anyway). At least left eye dominance isn't as bad as when there was a lever to advance the film

07-28-2019, 02:42 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I think there are actually quite a few people like me who are right handed and left eye dominant
I am too. Always manage to nudge the 4-way controller with my nose

But to follow on from what a previous poster said...I use both hands to operate the camera. My right deals with shutter and twin e-dials, but my left hand: zooms; manually focusses; adjusts aperture on a manual lens; switches AF/MF ; takes the lens cap off .............
07-28-2019, 03:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Although a lefthander and left-eyed I rarely feel the need to have any device mirrored. So far I adapt well when it comes to operating devices (playing the guitar and the piano, operating a computer, cuttlery, driving a car).

All the years I enjoy photography it never occured to me that I needed a specific left-hander camera. The only things that's occationally frustrating is the button layout. I'd like to try back-button focus with my K3-ii but run in the issue that I can't as a left-eye since my cheek covers the button.

This is a specific case where I feel the disadvantage of belonging to a minority. Still not enough to demand a special left-hander camera. If you take the idea of such a camera further, you'd have to have a lefty-specific set of lenses mounted on a mirrored K mount. I wouldn't want to go there.
07-28-2019, 03:38 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Snafu711 Quote
The only things that's occationally frustrating is the button layout. I'd like to try back-button focus with my K3-ii but run in the issue that I can't as a left-eye since my cheek covers the button.
With patience and persistence you should be able to train yourself to use your right eye.

07-28-2019, 04:18 AM - 3 Likes   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Left handers are ignored
Aye and rightly so... cos they're all "Sinister" folk.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-28-2019 at 04:32 AM.
07-28-2019, 04:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Left handed cameras will not sell. Development cost is high and any individual store would need both versions in stock. Focus and zoom are for the left hand, so you need both hands - with the right one doing the major work.
07-28-2019, 04:58 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Left handed pianos anyone?

07-28-2019, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It could be sold here ...

07-28-2019, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Yashica famously made a left handed version of their Samurai Z half frame P&S the Z-L: Google Image Result for https://i.imgur.com/cnBQ2Hu.jpg
07-28-2019, 05:40 AM   #25

Lefty here

Like the others, I learned to shoot right handed. But this does not require the dexterity of some other things, like handwriting for example. Pressing buttons is pretty easy with either hand.

I am also left eye dominant and this can be more of a problem. It is fine on the K!, but I recall having a terrible time years ago accidentally pressing the LV with my nose on the KX.
07-28-2019, 06:05 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lefty here; I cannot fathom using my clumsy right for focusing instead of, well, gripping (and pushing a couple buttons and dials). I do put my left eye in the VF, however.
07-28-2019, 06:35 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10% of a small and shrinking market means no profit. Inter. esting concept but I am afraid tbe manufacturers have missed the boat. Which may not have financially viable at any time in history
07-28-2019, 07:37 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Left dominate people have grown up in a right dominate world. Many I know say that even though they are left dominate, left dominate objects feel odd. I doubt a left dominate camera would sell well, regardless of possible market share. Teaching old dogs new tricks.
07-28-2019, 07:54 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Left handed pianos anyone?
For the record, Left handed Flutes do exist.
07-28-2019, 08:50 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am strongly left handed, but I shoot firearms, play baseball, and use a camera as a right-hander does. I am sure a lot of that has to do with using what was commonly available whenever I took up those interests. I also seem to be right-eye dominant, and I am sure that influenced tow of the three activities listed above.

I also have the habit of keeping both eyes open to pick up on subjects across a wider FOV, then close one eye in order to aim.

I do not feel the need for a left-handed camera.