Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
For the record, Left handed Flutes do exist.
But may only be used by first chair, eh?

Steve

07-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I'm right handed but bat lefty. A natural switch! Maybe I should become a professional pitcher
07-28-2019, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I'm a violinist by trade... I have some left handed colleagues, but there isn't and never will be a "left-handed violin" fit for a workplace.
Think orchestra...

So in essence... guitars yes... violins no (except factory made junk, maybe... but those are no "violin"...), mouse yes, cameras no...

Oh and I'm right handed, but I always tie my tie with my left hand... learned that way watching my dad standing in front of me (that was some time ago...) as if I was looking in a mirror, and I never did it differently since.
I don't play a musical instrument but am a lifelong audience member of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, I mean since before I was one year old. Yet in addition to their other talents, I have never ceased to be amazed by the ambidextrous nature of accomplished musicians!

Actually, shooting with a DSLR is ambidextrous by nature, with the left hand occupied with the lens and any other control on that side. It seems we just take that for granted and teach ourselves to manipulate efficiently as needed, whether we are right or left-handed by our natural tendency.
07-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #34
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am left-eye dominant and wear eyeglasses, and up to recently I have always photographed using my left eye to view the image. This applied to rangefinders and D/SLRs. I always felt that my right eye was never that well corrected. Pushing the camera against the glasses to view with my left eye did tend to push the frames out of kilter.

One exception: In the late early 60's I owned a Nikon SP rangefinder which had a 1:1 viewfinder. This allowed you to keep both eyes open and see the area surrounding what the camera saw so that you could anticipate what would happen next. A great feature, but only if you held the camera to your right eye and kept the left eye open as well. I actually tried using contact lenses to enable me to view with my right eye when using the SP. It was great except that I could not adapt to the contact lenses and had to give them up; they were the hard kind. As an aside, I never understood why Leica didn't do the same 1:1 viewfinder thing.

My glasses until recently were always hardened glass, so pushing the camera against them was not an issue. Two things happened. Hardened glass lenses were getting harder to get. Plastic lenses had a much greater risk of being scratched, but I had to purchase plastic ones for my most recent pair. But I also had cataract surgery done on my right eye, making the right eye vision much better, even without glasses (since then the left eye has also been done). What I do now is wear a retainer cord on my glasses so that I can drop them when I go to take a photo using my right eye for viewing and focusing. The viewfinder adjustment on my various cameras is sufficient to correct my right eye viewing vision.

Last edited by cpk; 07-28-2019 at 02:51 PM.
07-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am left handed and find the cameras just fine. I use my dominate left hand to support, guide, and operate the lens which gives me more control than right handed people might have. There was a book written years ago by someone titled something like Living Left Handed in a Right Handed World. I read it in the 70's. It basically taught you how to adapt.
07-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #36
Veteran Member

When I was a newspaper reporter, I found that being left handed gave me a unique advantage in that I could cover a meeting with a camera in my right hand and a pen in my left. Like most left-handers I'm fairly ambidextrous by necessity. I would daresay I can do more with my right hand than most right handed people can do with their left. That said, one thing I cannot do with my left hand to save my life is throw a Frisbee.
07-28-2019, 09:44 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
When I was a newspaper reporter, I found that being left handed gave me a unique advantage in that I could cover a meeting with a camera in my right hand and a pen in my left. Like most left-handers I'm fairly ambidextrous by necessity. I would daresay I can do more with my right hand than most right handed people can do with their left. That said, one thing I cannot do with my left hand to save my life is throw a Frisbee.

Everything in the world maps on to cricket, including Frisbee throwing. Left handed batters face the bowler with their right foot forward and it steps towards the ball first. If you are a lefty, hold the Frisbee in your right hand and step forward with you right foot. Counter-intuitively perhaps, it is the easiest way for lefties.

07-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
This reminds me that
When you remember your brother sending you to find that left handed axe,you came back with a Pentax camera.It was cutting edge(long time ago).
07-28-2019, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
When you remember your brother sending you to find that left handed axe,you came back with a Pentax camera.It was cutting edge(long time ago).
He had to find his own, which he still has, and he may be looking for you...
07-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I don't know why you presume a link between handedness and eye dominance, I am left handed and right eye dominant.

07-28-2019, 11:25 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I don't know why you presume a link between handedness and eye dominance, I am left handed and right eye dominant.
According to Bourassa et al (1996) 57% of left-handers are left-eyed, which is significantly more than the incidence in right-handers (34%). A strong correlation, but not overwhelming.
07-28-2019, 11:31 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
He had to find his own, which he still has, and he may be looking for you...
if he's only a short course swimmer,he has to come via Melbourne.But if hes got stamina he can go via Adelaide.Those 2towns prove that Tasmaniacs CAN swim!
07-29-2019, 12:09 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
According to Bourassa et al (1996) 57% of left-handers are left-eyed, which is significantly more than the incidence in right-handers (34%). A strong correlation, but not overwhelming.
Interesting. I just read that lots of snooker players are cross dominant. It didn't help my ability to play though . Of course many people are not completely left or right handed. I write and throw left handed and kick left footed. I play racket sports left handed. Golf and cricket though I play right handed but they involve both hands so may be different. I believe Phil Mickelson is naturally right handed but plays golf left handed. I eat right handed but use a spoon left handed. I use scissors left handed. I can't throw a Frisbee well with either hand .

07-29-2019, 02:17 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I'm left handed for writing, left footed for football, left handed for holding a racket, but batted in cricket right handed and bowled left handed. Cataract ops switched my dominant eye to the right. Would I want a left handed camera? No. I think I always picked up the kit and handled it in the way it felt "right".

You could argue that cameras are, already, left handed as the stronger left hand generally takes the job of supporting and steadying the camera. The right generally being used to shutter press and make adjustments.
07-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I am right-handed (and right-eyed), but about 10% of the population is left-handed, and presumably mostly left-eyed. DSLR manufacturers ignore them. If Pentax (or any of the other brands) produced a left-handed version of one of their models, say the KP or even the K1, how do you think it would sell? Would it attract significant numbers of previously non-Pentax photographers?

To the left-handers out there in particular, how would you react? Would you jump on it? Or, being so used to right-handed cameras, would you find it strange and awkward (like left-handed Ringo Star who learnt drums on a right-handed kit and stuck with it)?
i am left handed and use my left eye in the view finder and always have with no problems. as far as other controls i have adapted going clear back to the spotmatic. i also learned to shoot a right handed bolt action rifle from my left shoulder using my left eye and at one time got a left handed rifle and literally could not use it. so i have no doubt i could not use a left handed camera any better. i learned a long time ago that the world is right handed and adapt as needed. i even learned how to use a scythe but never could master a sickle.