Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2019, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Left handers are ignored

I am right-handed (and right-eyed), but about 10% of the population is left-handed, and presumably mostly left-eyed. DSLR manufacturers ignore them. If Pentax (or any of the other brands) produced a left-handed version of one of their models, say the KP or even the K1, how do you think it would sell? Would it attract significant numbers of previously non-Pentax photographers?

To the left-handers out there in particular, how would you react? Would you jump on it? Or, being so used to right-handed cameras, would you find it strange and awkward (like left-handed Ringo Star who learnt drums on a right-handed kit and stuck with it)?

07-27-2019, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #2

Paul the Sunman,

I am 64 years old. I learned to shoot right handed. When I was 10 I had a flipping of my eye dominance to left eye dominant. I had to relearn to shoot left handed. When I started with a SLR at age 22 I adapted to my situation. I have done everything as a lefty for a long time. I could not operate a left handed camera. I am fine with things as they are. My right hand is dominant and I write that way. I learned to write some left handed when I broke my right hand twice playing high school football.

The short answer is I'm not interested in a lefty camera.

Thanks.

JB
07-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

lefty here (left hand/left eye) and I cannot imagine that a reverse layout would somehow feel more comfortable to me. at least in my case, the button positioning seems arbitrary to handedness. would like to hear from other lefties.

it would be fun to hold a prototype to see if were missing anything.

Last edited by mikeSF; 07-28-2019 at 06:47 AM.
07-27-2019, 06:53 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's like scissors to me, I'm used to it. In fact I like right-handed computer mice as it's about the only thing my right hand can manage, and it frees up my good hand
If anything would improve ergonomics for me it would be a square sensor with easy crop presets, so portrait shots won't require rotation and the flying-elbow pose.

p.s. It is true that having all buttons on the right for "one-handed" shooting is a very righty thing to presume. I am quite happy with a few left-side buttons.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 07-27-2019 at 06:59 PM.
07-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am about as left-handed as they come. But there are certain things that I have to do as a right-hander. Using scissors is one of the things I do right-handed. Interestingly, using a computer mouse is another. But I am hard-pressed to think of some others – I even eat left-handed.

Having said that, I do use the camera right-handed. Like scissors, there really is no choice. I am now trying to use my left eye, but that is only because my 76-year-old right eye can no longer be completely corrected.

Would I buy a left-handed camera? If I were just starting and had absolutely no camera experience, probably. Most likely. Okay, sure. But I certainly wouldn't change over. Habits are very hard to break. Like Ringo.
07-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another left hander here (but actually pretty ambidextrous). I preferentially put the eyepiece to my left eye, but have trained myself to use the right eye in certain situations, like shooting with both eyes open for birds in flight, and to get my face out of the way of the four way controller a lot when shooting action.

I have no desire to have a left handed camera, and imagine the complexity of redesigning and re-tooling would increase production costs astronomically.
07-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm strongly left-handed and left-eye dominant.

The placement of controls on Pentax cameras suits me fine. Supporting the lens with my left hand seems natural, and gripping the camera and using the controls with my right hand works well.

I particularly love the placement of the lens release button at the lower right side of the camera -- I can easily press it with a right-hand finger while supporting and removing the lens with my left hand in its normal shooting position. I feel awkward working Nikon and Canon cameras on which the lens release is positioned on the left side.

I've managed alright with the viewfinder, despite my -- ahem -- ample nose. A while ago, I tried to 'train' myself to use my right eye on the VF though regular practice. That wasn't working out too well, so I reverted to my left eye, and I'm happy enough.

Would I use or prefer a 'lefty' camera? I'm not sure. Perhaps I've just trained into the 'righty' format without much issue. I also don't know whether I'd be more comfortable with a different configuration.

Using common right-handed computer mice is a real bonus -- hand on the mouse and pen in my left hand. I feel sympathy for right-handers!

- Craig

07-27-2019, 07:19 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a lefty and I absolutely hate "left handed gadgets".
07-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm a lefty and it's too late for me. I have adapted to a right-handed world and a left-handed camera would be a horrible thing to have to get used to...I shudder at the idea, things are bad enough as they are.

Better the devil that you know....
07-27-2019, 07:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally I find cameras designed for ambidextrous use to be easier to manage, a lot of older film cameras are like that. As for exclusively left handed cameras? I recall Exakta cameras were made for left handed use - they had a good production run. In this age of boxy cameras I doubt we will ever see anything like the Exakta.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
like left-handed Ringo Star who learnt drums on a right-handed kit and stuck with it)?
As I recall Jimi Hendrix was a leftie. But instead of bowing to the dominance of right handedness, he strung his guitar backwards - this actually gave him an advantage, as it gave him a unique sound that made him stand out of the crowd.
07-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I write lefty and have always done almost everything else righty. About when I entered high school and first used a camera I had already been aware of my extreme left eye dominance. I could never see the 3d looking into a viewmaster or binoculars. I tried to use cameras with my right eye since it was laid out that way but gave it up quickly and adapted. In a short while the only real inconvenience, and still is, was not being able to keep the viewfinder at my eye between shots. I have to take a film camera away from my face far enough to give clearance for the film advance lever.
I can use power winders or built-in drives in some models to fix that problem but don't always want to. It's not an issue for digital nowadays but I'm so long accustomed to the standard camera layout that I really don't want to learn another.
I believe that so few people are totally lefty and unable to use their right hands for even fine control that there would simply be no market for a reverse layout model.
07-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I recall Exakta cameras were made for left handed use - they had a good production run. In this age of boxy cameras I doubt we will ever see anything like the Exakta.
I own a Varex IIa and Varex 1000 and while the film wind and shutter release are definitely intended for the left hand, the rest of the camera is a mixture.* I am fairly ambidextrous, though right-handed, and equal-eyed and still find my Exaktas clumsy in the hand. The wind and shutter are an easy matter and come naturally as does loading the film right-to-left, but the camera is clearly intended for other than rapid sequence use at eye level regardless of handedness. It is probably accurate to say that the Exakta was designed with something else in mind.

Steve

(...mouse left-handed and reach for most things with preference to the left...can operate my K-3 with the camera held upside down in a pinch...shoot right-eyed though can shoot left too...)

* Viewfinder is centered on the body, the film door is hinged on the right and the VX IIa latching is definitely easier right-handed, film loads right to left, film rewind is on the bottom right and turns clockwise with the camera inverted. Lens mounting/removal is easier left-handed, at least for me.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-27-2019 at 10:13 PM.
07-27-2019, 10:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this another case of language fooling us? My understanding of the contemporary view of left and right-handedness is that we tend to have stronger or weaker sides, which means the difference between left and right-handed is not one of kind, but of degree.

Automation of cameras and lenses has probably made the right hand seem dominant for hand-held photography, but we still tend to use the left for manual control of lenses.

This reminds me that I still have the pistol grip for my K2DMD, a modern version of which might be a better accessory for those wanting to operate a camera with either hand.
07-27-2019, 11:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

There's a well known photo of Ringo sometime in the '60's with a camera...a Pentax 35mm slr...a right handed camera.
07-27-2019, 11:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm a violinist by trade... I have some left handed colleagues, but there isn't and never will be a "left-handed violin" fit for a workplace.
Think orchestra...

So in essence... guitars yes... violins no (except factory made junk, maybe... but those are no "violin"...), mouse yes, cameras no...

Oh and I'm right handed, but I always tie my tie with my left hand... learned that way watching my dad standing in front of me (that was some time ago...) as if I was looking in a mirror, and I never did it differently since.

Last edited by LensBeginner; 07-27-2019 at 11:58 PM.