Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2019, 10:42 PM   #31

I was in the same boat about a month ago.
if you live in Europe you can still get the k1 mark I for less than 1200 Euros.
I went with that coming from a K30 and totally recommend full frame over the apsc.
It is a freaking awesome beast. Even to this day the K1 is a top performer.
you will need some FF glass though to take full advantage of it.
Cheers
Tjwest

07-31-2019, 01:48 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm waiting for the Kpii upgrade kit, like they did with the K1. Increased buffer, new battery improvements, increased in camera raw to jpeg development options and filters, uhs ii, and, a selection of ocular adapters and eye cups (I maybe dreaming this last one)
07-31-2019, 02:19 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just wondering as I've never used the K-1 with flash - does pixel shift fire the flash 4 times? If not, it's a bit limited for studio work anyway - you'd need a constant light source.
07-31-2019, 03:53 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I was just wondering as I've never used the K-1 with flash - does pixel shift fire the flash 4 times? If not, it's a bit limited for studio work anyway - you'd need a constant light source.
Flash is disabled for any electronic shutter exposure.

07-31-2019, 04:30 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Flash is disabled for any electronic shutter exposure.
OK - thanks - that is a limitation on pixel shift usefulness for studio work then
07-31-2019, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
I use the K5iis for product photography, in a small home studio with strobes
I have used a K5IIs, K3 and now a K1 for occasional product photography with studio strobes. In a studio environment, there are quality differences between the three cameras but it is not significant in my opinion. The resulting images were used for trade show posters and other large print applications and product packaging. For available light and high ISO situations, K1 has a significant edge.

For studio work, I would rather have a better lens and lighting than a higher res camera. Where the image quality difference is going to be significant is when you go with the 645Z or the new Fuji GFX 100.
07-31-2019, 07:01 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Nothing is upcoming in Pentax land. OK, the longer you wait, the sooner something may come along. Just don‘t count on it.
Fully this. I wouldn’t be basing purchasing decisions based on what Pentax may deliver at some stage in the future.

This goes for features that should be deliverable via future firmware update, as Pentax seem to save those up for the next hardware model release instead. You have to purchase based on day one specs, and anything else is a bonus if it actually does arrive.

As others have said though, if you’re after speed then the top of APS-C range should deliver more than the K-1 range.

If you’re after ultimate IQ then the K-1 it is.

For product photography, especially if that means static subject with continuous lighting, the maybe a KP would suit with its pixelshift mode.

I too am hanging out for a K-3 range replacement which is now long overdue. Developments I’d like to see would include eye AF and improved video capabilities (given Pentax cameras are still kicking around 2012 era video specs).
08-02-2019, 11:08 AM - 2 Likes   #38

I have the K5iis, the KP and K1 mark I. The jump in image quality going from K5iis to Kp is noticeable, especially if you need the higher resolution or low light performane. However, it is not a huge jump and most pictures, especially in a controlled environment like the studio will turn out quite similar.
The difference when going full frame is much more noticeable, and the K1 is just super nice to handle too. Don't get too hung up on the talk on equivalence, high ISO noise performance etc. The biggest real advantage in going FF is that it puts less sharpness demand on lenses and it's generally easier to obtain sharp photos that "pop"

Tough decision really, I think moving to FF is great as long as you can afford to buy new lenses or you existing ones work with FF, a lot of the DA lenses won't work with it.

As far as the new APS-C flagship that is rumored- I can't imagine they will offer that much of an improvement over the KP really. Unless they plan on really upping the game in AF performance or video. Or planning to implement computational photography. Both quite unlikely..

08-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
It has been confirmed.
In the "soft" sense of the word, I am sure. What has been confirmed is that there is a rumor and that the chip exists. A good rule of thumb is to consider all reports from the rumors section to be "non-actionable" in the same sense of not borrowing money to place a bet on a horse.

What is known is that a new APS-C flagship may be possible sometime in 2019. Noting, of course, that the same was true for 2018 and may well be true for 2020 too.

As for feature set, rumors usually reflect the heart-felt desires of the person posting and are a form of misplaced faith that the camera maker will finally see the light and brilliance of a particular feature. That is why it is my tradition to suggest that I am waiting for K-cup support before committing to future purchase of a rumored new camera. (K-cup, as in Keurig to make coffee.)

As has been noted by other commenters, my expectation would be that the new APS-C flagship model will probably not break new ground beyond currently supported features along with a modest increase (if any) in pixel resolution and may even appear less well-spec'ed than the KP. I would also expect at least one huge leap or signature feature that will not impact suitability for video work, but which might make at least one photographic task more accessible.

Ultrasonic grind and brew components built into an accessory grip would surely spur sales and I heard credible rumors of a miniaturized coffee brewing/delivery system being patented in a south Asian nation. Bluetooth support is virtually assured.

Steve

(...how about K-cup support for the travel charger? )
08-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I expect, since it is taking this long (and look how long they worked on the DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 before it was actually released) that when it finally does arrive it will be quite advanced and a top-performer. Maybe even with significantly upgraded video. Whether it will be enough for me to buy one to replace my still very fine flagship-style K- 5IIs, now that I also have the KP, is wait and see.
08-03-2019, 01:58 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Not sure about others, but I’m happy with the IQ already and have been for quite some time.

Better smarter AF, so I get more keepers and less in focus grass behind my subject, is where I frankly need to see improvements. Eye AF would be epic.

Likewise with video, as it hasn’t really changed since 2012 and it really shows. Doesn’t have to be great but it must be better as we near 2020.
08-03-2019, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #42
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
I've been doing a lot of looking to see which way to go on my future upgrade (from K5iis), and quite a bit has been discussed regarding sensor pixel density. I can't imagine the next ASP-C Flagship will have the same resolution as the K3ii, which would be counterproductive based on my reading. I'm thinking the cost of the new ASP-C is going to be relatively close to the K1 MK ii.

I use the K5iis for product photography, in a small home studio with strobes, and family photos. I likely won't sell the K5iis, as I will only get $100 or so for it at this point, although I currently only have one lens for ASP-C (18-135). In the end I will have 2 bodies regardless.

Unless there is some earth shattering tech in the new ASP-C, isn't it more prudent to go Full Frame? I know I don't need it, but it seems like there are a ton of pluses on the side of the FF.
If you stay with APS-C, you still have an upgrade path to look forward to. Buying the K1 takes that away from you.
However, the K1 takes much better pictures.
08-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I would not necessarily expect better images from a K-1 than I already am achieving, but rather the strengths the K-1 FF may offer in a fast WA prime, the FOV that can be achieved with compact but fine lenses like the FA 43mm LTD, the FA 35mm f/2 and the 31mm LTD, and what a larger format can do for bigger enlargements. (however, I very rarely do poster-size enlargements) Then there's the potential for lower noise at higher ISO. Yet the KP comes close in this regard, and provides excellent resolution and IQ. I have no doubt the next APS-C flagship will up performance quality even more, yet as others have said, we have reached the era of diminishing returns.

Should be interesting to see what comes out of their endeavors!
08-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Was glad to see that Ricoh is a prime 2019-20 sponsor of the Philadelphia Eagles....Here is Coach Dave Pederson at his recent press conference....Love the RICOH presence.....Wish they would have tossed in a Pentax logo--that would have been perfect.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo