Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #1

Upgrade Question - Upcoming ASP-C Flagship or K1 Mk ii ?

I've been doing a lot of looking to see which way to go on my future upgrade (from K5iis), and quite a bit has been discussed regarding sensor pixel density. I can't imagine the next ASP-C Flagship will have the same resolution as the K3ii, which would be counterproductive based on my reading. I'm thinking the cost of the new ASP-C is going to be relatively close to the K1 MK ii.

I use the K5iis for product photography, in a small home studio with strobes, and family photos. I likely won't sell the K5iis, as I will only get $100 or so for it at this point, although I currently only have one lens for ASP-C (18-135). In the end I will have 2 bodies regardless.

Unless there is some earth shattering tech in the new ASP-C, isn't it more prudent to go Full Frame? I know I don't need it, but it seems like there are a ton of pluses on the side of the FF.

07-29-2019, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your main use case is product photography, then I wouldn't hesitate to go for the K-1. It's an excellent choice for that purpose.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2019, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You're worried about a product that isn't even a credible rumor?
07-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No, as I obviously am not a Johnny on the Spot when it comes to upgrading. The K1 MK ii is currently out of my budget, so I'll be saving for a while either way. I'm just wanting to know if my thought process is tracking.

07-29-2019, 08:30 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
I've been doing a lot of looking to see which way to go on my future upgrade (from K5iis), and quite a bit has been discussed regarding sensor pixel density. I can't imagine the next APS-C Flagship will have the same resolution as the K3ii, which would be counterproductive based on my reading.
I'm not following that. Are you saying there should be more MP? The Sony a7 has a FF sensor at 24.3 MP. They don't seem to be having a problem selling it.

A FF sensor can give you more and larger sensor cells--so both greater resolution and greater low light sensitivity--all other things being equal (and lenses scaled up appropriately). But wth full lighting control in a studio situation, is low light sensitivity a big deal for you? It sounds like you can control the lighting. Are you having resolution issues at 16MP? You don't mention it. It sounds like you're trying to talk youself into something.

QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
Unless there is some earth shattering tech in the new ASP-C, isn't it more prudent to go Full Frame? I know I don't need it, but it seems like there are a ton of pluses on the side of the FF.
The one unquestioned advantage is that the K-1ii is currently on the market. But since you say you're not in a hurry to buy, that would seem to be of minimal importance as well.

If you're cash-in-hand, I don't see any reason why a happy K-5 shooter wouldn't be even happier owning both a K-5 and a K-1. If next spring fits your budget better, though, I'd say make the decision next spring, based on what is known about products and pricing at that time.

traveler
07-29-2019, 08:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by traveler Quote
I'm not following that. Are you saying there should be more MP?
I'm not saying there should be more, just likely that they will try to put a higher resolution sensor in it - but that is purely a SWAG. The bigger is better mentality is pretty common with consumers. I've not been hindered by 16MP however.

And yes, I may be trying to talk myself into a new body.
07-29-2019, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I do a lot of product photos with my K-1, primarily, groceries and such for catalogues, brochures, online ads ect ect , Really,it's excellent, and the designers are always happy with the shots, and the files I supply. I used to use my K-5, and the quality upgrade of the K-1 is in another league. Then, It's just an awesome camera for everything else.

07-30-2019, 02:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rumors being what they are, if you are ready to upgrade I wouldn't hesitate to move to a K-1 or K-1 II. Both cameras would be excellent for your purposes. As far as flagship APS-C goes, the rumor is 26 megapixels which should be fine. Pentax has always squeezed as much image quality as anyone out of the sensors they use and I wouldn't expect anything different with upcoming cameras.
07-30-2019, 03:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It has been confirmed.
07-30-2019, 03:56 AM   #10
Unregistered User

I observed that the KP is now selling, new, for less than eight hundred bucks. I figured, when that price went down, that they had a replacement coming of some sort, or else they were simply going to discontinue the KP without a replacement. Anyway, I figure the KP is a good deal at the moment, has better resolution than a K-1 (dots per square inch, as opposed to absolute number of pixels), and is a terrific camera.

You know how you can tell who the pioneers are - they're the ones with the arrows in their backs. I buy stuff only after it's been on the market for a while and the bugs have been shaken out. Consider the SDM failures, the aperture block failures, etc. - best to let someone else do the "beta testing".
07-30-2019, 03:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
It has been confirmed.
where, when, who?
07-30-2019, 04:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
where, when, who?
In the other rumour thread. Karen the star.
07-30-2019, 04:34 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you see yourself doing any travel with the new body or desires for telephoto subjects like bird shots? Love my K1 II, but for those activities, I grab my K3 II - lens size makes a difference to me when hitting the road, and the crop factor and pixel density of the K3 II gives me more for birds, if the light is enough. When the light goes down, the K1 II takes it to another level for usability. I would expect the next APS-C release to be better than the KP for low light, so depending on some of these other thoughts, it may or may not be worth the unknown wait.
07-30-2019, 04:46 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
It has been confirmed.
And I'm waiting until Ricoh actually announces a product and provides specifications before I even pay any attention.
07-30-2019, 04:57 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

I got tired of waiting for a new APS-C flagship as an upgrade for my K-5II. I was skeptical about the KP with it’s smaller buffer and battery as well as lack of a top screen. Back in March I bought a KP and haven’t looked back! It’s a significant upgrade in IQ, low light performance and AF speed. Took a couple of weeks to get used to the ergonomics. Now the K-5II is a back up only...until I purchase a second KP!